What does "quacking" mean?

Old 11-14-2002, 08:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What does "quacking" mean?

I hope I don't sound like an idiot, but I'm new here and I've seen references to "quack" in several posts I've read. What is this?

Thanks you guys...
Old 11-14-2002, 09:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey ChickieBaby - welcome to SoberRecovery. You know in your other post where you said you're tired of hearing excuses like "my cheque was small this time"? Well, just substitute those words with "Quack, quack, quack, quaaaaaacccckkkk" It's duckspeak, an addict's excuses, and a way to see some humour in all the pain. I think someone needs to get you set-up with a survival kit - MG, Anns, Smoke, JT, can you help?

Love and hugs.
Old 11-14-2002, 09:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

As in field glasses to spot the ducks. Bunny slippers to sneak up on the ducks. And frying pan to knock us on the noggin when we actually listen to the ducks. And lets not forget Marvin the Bloodhound for keeping the ducks at bay. Quack, quack, quack....
Old 11-14-2002, 09:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Here is Ann's explanation of the duck.

What is A Duck

They are our addicts, particularly when active in their disease. You have heard the expression "If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and has feathers like a duck...it's probably an addict.

We love our ducks and would never hurt them, but we do use the "Skillet" and "Net" on ourselves, unless Ex is caught in the net.

"Quacking" is duck language. You know..."can you lend me $20 for food, I am so hungry...I lost the rent money...Someone stole my watch/vcr/stereo/pay cheque...if you love me you won't leave me because I'm using...I am using because you upset me....I got kicked out of the recovery program because the counsellor didn't like me..." quack quack quack"

The Duck-anons role is to never hurt a duck (we can banish them but never shoot them) but we can use the duck-humour as part of our recovery. It helps us laugh at ourselves!!It is a symbol of our common experience.

D.I.A. is "Duck Intelligence Agent", we use this as our undercover method of searching out ducks in disguise.

"Elephant in our livingroon", should be obvious. It is our term for "denial". I didn't see the elephant in my livingroom. ERG is our mascot.
Old 11-14-2002, 10:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

How FABULOUS!!

I love it! You guys are too much!! I'm taking the Duck to Las Vegas next week... am hoping that the quacking will subside enough for me to enjoy my trip. Then I think I might actually tell the duck that he's a duck. And it's no longer duck season.

Or something like that!

Thanks guys!!

Chickie
Old 11-14-2002, 10:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Paused

again...

And here I thought I knew.. hehe I picked up most of the duck/quack stuff, just from context, but didn't realize it was so involved... too funny
Old 11-14-2002, 10:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The "Elephant in the Living Room" reference is also a hoot! It's so true... especially for me. It's like if I don't look at it or if I don't acknowledge the fact that there's no money left or that the furniture all has burn holes and his eyes are always so glassy and dark... if I don't point it out, it's not real.

Now I know how those guys at the zoo feel... you know... the ones with the SHOVELS!!

:p

Chickie
Old 11-14-2002, 05:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Chickie!

There should have been a shovel in your welcome kit, along with the inflatable raft and trampoline.

Hugs!
Old 11-14-2002, 05:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Ducks come in all shapes and sizes....

Some can dance...and some cannot....

Old 11-14-2002, 06:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

hey ladies, don't want to be crude, but how about"shut the duck up", that's one i used to use often before i fully appreciated it's signifigance!!
hugs from sugar
Old 11-14-2002, 06:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I love that Sugar!!!

You know what's funny? Once you start thinking in terms of their quacking, you actually start to hear it and see it.

I remember sitting with my son (at a rehab no less) and he was going on and on about where he would live and what he didn't want to do and who was a jerk and I swear I saw his lips turn into a bill and only heard quacking coming out LOL. I started to laugh and he had no idea why.

Once we recognize the sound, it usually starts with "I need $20", we tune out real fast!!!! I love it when he starts with "you're never going to believe what happened to me..." HA HAH he's right!!!!
Old 11-14-2002, 06:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

ann, u made me laugh outloud. now they're all looking at me!!hugs from sugar
Old 11-15-2002, 06:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You guys are so funny! And the duck thing has already helped me. I heard the quacking loud and clear last night and was able to just ignore it and actually laugh about it in my head!

and shut the duck up is my all time favorite!!

Chickie
Old 11-15-2002, 04:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

and to all the new comers - please be wary of the use of "duck tape" to try to control the situation.......... if you notice - i am lacking a SIGNIFICANT amount of fur because SOMEONE put me in charge of the tape, i didn't pay attention and the next thing you know - i am diggin through the survival kit for bactine - WHICH by the way i never found...........

so i went from a cute fluffy bunny like Anns slippers - to furless chulpa bunny.... the by product being - i am now aerodynamic so me and my frying pan fly much faster through the air........

Who is possession of the tape now btw.....
Old 11-15-2002, 07:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Paused

I have duck tape!!! I'm always stocking up!! Now I know why

Sugar -"Shut the duck up" omg, I love it!
Old 11-16-2002, 07:03 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Ogly - you poor thing. Gypsymon will keep the duck tape now, and you already have your own skillet, so that is enough power for one hairless bunny.

I found this and woke my cat up laughing so loud....anyone you know?

Old 11-16-2002, 07:22 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

oh my god that sent me over the edge - that is hysterical!
Old 11-16-2002, 07:32 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Oh Ann, Where did you find this, lol.

What a quack up!!!!

Hugs,
MG
Old 11-16-2002, 07:55 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Paused

You'd think someone had been spying on us, and made that specifically for our group
Old 11-16-2002, 07:56 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Paused

Oh that is just too much! LOL Thank you, I needed a laugh today

Susan