Notices

Introduction/Re-Introduction

Old 12-16-2011, 08:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Introduction/Re-Introduction

Hello all... I have struggled with sobriety for some time now. I have been a member of SoberRecovery for a year or so.

I will attempt to get sober again FOR REAL starting tomorrow. I know that sounds ********, but my intention is real.

I have come to learn that I am both an alcoholic and a drug addict... I used to just think I was an addict. Now I realize that alcohol is the main reason I cannot collect any clean time.

I don't know how to quit, don't know how to be sober. But you guys do it. And I assume you start where I am now...

I am scared and feel like this is impossible. My intention is real, but at the same time I feel as if I am aiming for something that I will never be able to attain.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

After a decade (my twenties) of being a pot-head & drinker, then my 30s of being a full-blown alcoholic I developed severe anxiety and complications from withdraw. Got me to the point I was afraid to leave the house. Reading others here helped me see it was possible, so I started trying near the beginning of this year, had 12 days sober in April, another week sober sometime in the summer and by Sept, 22nd I had enough of it. I knew life could only get better for me if I quit drinking, even if my life takes a turn for the worst the drink will not (nor could it) help in any 'real' way. I was a slave to it, but I will not go through that again. I have to admit to myself that alcohol IS my Crack Cocaine and no amount of gimmicky advertisements or thoughts of temporary relief or other people drinking and dealing with it can change that. Have to be STRONG, but it has all been worth it so far.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I was pretty doubtful when I first got here, too. I had tried to stop so many times on my own and could hardly get past a day. Even when I first started reading the posts here, I couldn't help but think that everyone else must have something I don't if they were able to get sober.

Even if you don't believe you can do it, just do it anyway, for another minute or another hour. Strength and courage doesn't come while we're still thinking about it - it comes from seeing that you got through the last hour and so maybe you can get through the next. At least that's how it was for me.....

You can do this!
Old 12-16-2011, 09:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Eureka
If I can do this, really - anyone can

Just start with a commitment not to drink/drug today - and promise yourself you'll do whatever it takes to make that a reality.

I think that's a good start.

Naturally if you've been going at it hammer and tongs for a while, a Dr's visit might be good too

I'm glad to see you back - I really hope you can make this time your time

D
Old 12-16-2011, 10:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
instant

Eureka when I quit for good earlier this year I had got to a stage where I knew I could not go on. I didn't care what came next, but decided that drinking was not part of it. I had lost hope. I jumped out of the alcohol plane without a parachute not knowing what would happen.

As it turns out I can fly.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back!
Old 12-17-2011, 05:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome back!

I don't know how to quit, don't know how to be sober.

Why not go to an AA meeting, what do you have to lose?
Old 12-17-2011, 01:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

how are you doing Eureka?

D
Old 12-17-2011, 01:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Double.

Last edited by Dee74; 12-17-2011 at 03:16 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 02:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you guys for the words of encouragement. I feel pretty awful today, but I will keep on going. I'll probably try to frequent these boards a little more often... It couldn't hurt I guess. It is such a huge part of who I am, I really do not know how I am going to quit, but you guys do it. So I'll just try to do what you guys do and try what you guys suggest.
Old 12-17-2011, 02:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

i like that quote dee..
heres to us all staying ship shape