Notices

Substituting one addiction for another

Old 12-16-2011, 07:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Substituting one addiction for another

Hi all,
Okay so going on Day 4 now.
Prior to this hubby and I were very big about home brewing our own wine, mead, etc. We constantly visited wineries and became experts on it.
Now of course due to the fact that we unfortunately have an addict in the family (ME) we are going to have to change our interest.
Hubby is a big coffee connoisseur, I'm a somewhat big expresso and chocolate connoisseur.
I've heard some say "get rid of all addictions!!!!" but then I've heard some say "pick your battles" or choose the lesser of the two evils.
I'm seriously considering getting hubby a coffee bean roaster along with a lot of green coffee beans from Costa Rica, Bolivia, Columbia, etc.
Coffee roasting, like cooking, wine pairing and making wine and mead is more like an art and less like a science.
Would everyone say this would probably be an okay "addiction" to get into? Much better than alcohol right?
I'm trying to find a way to shift our hobbies into a more "healthy" alternative rather than visiting brew pubs to sample the ales, visiting wineries to sample their wares, etc.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Read my post here.. http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ck-bottom.html

I thought quitting and going to the doctor to get medical help would be the answer. It made things worse... Though, with that said, I don't think coffee is anywhere near as dangerous.. just my opinion...
Old 12-16-2011, 07:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Read my post here.. http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ck-bottom.html

I thought quitting and going to the doctor to get medical help would be the answer. It made things worse... Though, with that said, I don't think coffee is anywhere near as dangerous.. just my opinion...
Old 12-16-2011, 07:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ummm, I don't take ambien though. I haven't taken that since I was pregnant with my son and I was trying to give birth to him. (read my response on your message thread )
Old 12-16-2011, 08:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I totally get it, I'm just showing how I tried to replace 'one with another' and it failed miserably... I just can't do anything I guess... cold turkey on everything non nourishing
Old 12-16-2011, 08:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I love coffee. Sound like a wonderful "hobby" to get into. Just be mindful that caffeine is a stimulant and you can take too much. Otherwise, enjoy.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think coffee sounds like a delicious alternative! It should satisfy that craving to find the perfect pairing, it has a wonderfully full, tannic taste, and the aromas filling the house are so soothing. Do you like tea too? There's a whole world of them to explore. I'm sure my screen name kind of gives it away, but I'm big into food, and formerly, wine. My two cents: pick your battles. Go easy on yourself, as long as you're not getting super-jacked on coffee and going totally caffiene-psycho, enjoy your newfound indulgence
Old 12-16-2011, 08:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Gotcha Socaldude. That sucked what happened to you though. How's your wife taking it?
Old 12-16-2011, 08:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Sounds like you are looking for a substitute for the oral gratification AND the rituals and hobby aspects from a reward perspective. I am a big coffee drinker and haven't looked at the prods and cons of coffee for awhile. I am glad you asked because I found that maybe I will cut back from my three pots a day habit that I subbed for the alcohol too. Here is an article that gives the coffee pros and cons very well researched and organized without being a raving barista or anti coffee harangue. And best, that the poster gave a complete bibliography with links to authoritative sources. Hope this helps:
Is Coffee Good or Bad For You? The Pros & Cons of Coffee Drinking
Old 12-16-2011, 08:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That's what I'm thinking foodie. Hubby and I previously would go out on on food pairing dinners, I make my own fresh artisan bread, I make my own cheese, and previously wine and mead.
I do really love tea!!! You should see my tea collection!!!
We even make our own kombucha, grow our own shitake, oyster and button mushrooms, and we can our own preserves, tomatoes, gourmet and jams and jellies.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well I'd say right now I consume almost nada but then as my alcohol consumption goes up my espresso consumption goes down. My stomach can't tolerate espresso when I'm drinking alcohol. When my son was a baby I was consuming about 6 miniature espresso glasses a day along with either a biscotti or a decadent piece of dark chocolate. I love the bitter espresso with a taste of chocolate.
I also weighed after 8 months after giving birth about 60 lbs LESS then what I did before. LOL
Hubby on the other hand consumes about 6-10 LARGE coffee mugs(think car mugs) a day of coffee laced with heavy cream, international delights creamer, sugar, etc. A habit that I'M TRYING to break him of. Just haven't tried too hard since I have my own vice. Don't throw stones in a glass house and all.

You're right Itchy. Its the satisfaction that I'm looking for. That feeling of look at the skill that I mastered. Recently I wrote a blog entry that has made me start questioning some of my life and how it seems like slowly but surely alcohol started invading all parts of our life. Trying to kick the alcohol completely out of our life for good.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

WOOHOO!!! I DID IT! I bought one!!!!!!! bought a coffee bean roaster and a sampler bag of beans (which will actually be from my son. ) for hubby and I.
Okay, now with all that being said, I gotta run. Hubby just called to say he's back in town and will be home in a few hours so I gotta get Xmas shopping done and wrapped!

TTFN!
Old 12-16-2011, 08:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by munchkin05 View Post
Gotcha Socaldude. That sucked what happened to you though. How's your wife taking it?
Not well at all... think it's heading for the end.. It does suck, I got a note from my doctor this morning explaining the timeline, he gave me the script Tuesday, I filled them Tuesday night... started them wednesday, and it happened that night..

On a side note, I love GOOD coffee, make sure to get some lavazza to try, it's wonderful!
Old 12-16-2011, 09:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Oh man I'm sorry socal. Is she maybe willing to go through counseling with you? I'm really sorry. How long you all been married?
Old 12-16-2011, 09:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Re-Member

SoCal, hope you work it out however it goes. One thing we learn is that life doesn't get better when we are sober, we get better at life. Some of the lessons are hard, but if we learn, we might not create the conditions again that fail.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:10 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by munchkin05 View Post
Oh man I'm sorry socal. Is she maybe willing to go through counseling with you? I'm really sorry. How long you all been married?
5 Years today.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:13 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Sorry socal. Heart goes out to you! :ghug3:ghug3
Old 12-16-2011, 09:15 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Sorry to hijack your thread. Thanks munchkin!
Old 12-16-2011, 09:16 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Munchkin congrats on the buy! I am much like your hubby drinking about 4-6 24 oz Tervis travel mugs of coffee daily too.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:17 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

It's okay.