husband going through withdrawls, I'm going nuts

Old 12-16-2011, 04:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

husband going through withdrawls, I'm going nuts

I have no clue what I am doing and I hope this goes to the right place. My husband just quit drinking and his withdrawls are freaking me out. It's been 72 hours and the shaking has subsided some but he's hallucinating and I'm concerned about his mental health. It is comforting to find out that this is a symptom of withdrawl but I can't help but wonder if he will ever be the same person again. I was certain when he quit drinking I would find some peace but this is really stressing me out. Any similar stories? How did you cope?
Old 12-16-2011, 05:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My opinion: he needs professional help!!!
Withdrawal symptoms can be very strong and dangerous as well.
If he is halucinating he needs professional help. He can suffer DT and than can have all kinds of concenquences. Severe withdrawal symptoms can lead to stroke or cardiac arrest.
This is not to be taken lightly.

This is too much for you too handle. If he experiences DT he can hurt you or himself or anyone in his proximity.
I'm so sorry I'm saying all this, but I'm speaking from experience. Take what you like and leave the rest.

And yes he can be mentaly sane again.
Take care
Old 12-16-2011, 05:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

To add to my previous post, as I just realized I never answered your question,but it is just that reading about your husband halucinating I got worried for your safety, and forgot to try answering your question.
I went through quite a few withdrawals with my RAH. Initially I knew nothing about it, so I just felt confused as I had no idea with I was dealing with. When I phoned the doc and told him about the condition RAH was in, he advised me to take him to the hospital, so I did. They told me I got him there on time, as he was in pre DT condition.
Few years later he was going through withdrawal again, but this time he was first admitted to hospital and diagnozed with liver cirrhosis, and even with medical help he suffered DT, run away from the hospital, as he was halucinating someone is chasing him, and he was trying to run away. We found him the next morning, bruised, his clothes torn, all wet. We took him back to the hospital, and even though he seemed lucid, he was still convinced what happened last night was real.
After that he went through the phase when he could hardly speak, his words were slured, he had trouble walking, and I could swear he'd never be normal again.
But he did recover from it all.
And as for me and how I coped, I don't really know what to say, how to explain how I felt at those times. It kind of felt like it was happening to someone else, I was at some strange peace, as I was in the eye of a storm.
The best advice I can offer is: take it one step at the time, one breath at the time. This too shall pass, and once the storm is over, you'd be able to think more clearly and act on it.
I don't know how and if any of this helps, I guess I just wanted to say I've been there and I understand.
Take care
Old 12-16-2011, 06:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome.
He needs to be under the care of a professional that's to much to handle at the house.
X2 on what Sesh posted.
Lyle
Old 12-16-2011, 06:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Skipper

Please take him to the hospital. This is dangerous.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Idiot!

Medical help straight away...
Old 12-16-2011, 07:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Please ...... I hope you will consider calling an ambulance.

Detoxing from alcohol is an extraordinarily dangerous thing, in my experience.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've seen my xah detox many times hence just ONE of the reasons we divorced. I refused to watch one more of them seeing he refused to go to the hospital, ugh. You should not have to go through this, call an ambulance whether he wants it or not, just my opinion.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It's frightening to watch. I sat with my XABF for two days watching this as he refused to go to the hospital and had started the DT's. An ambulance wouldn't take him unless he either agreed to go on his own or he was unconscious. All the while he kept saying people don't die from this unless they want to! Talk about still being in denial! I finally got him to a detox, but it's something I never want to watch again. The detox center counseled me on how dangerous this can be so if I were you I'd get him to the hospital or detox center quick.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My AH went through this a little over 2 years ago, when I was pregnant with our son.

He had auditory hallucinations and I think visual too. He spent hours talking to "Jesus" in our back yard, even saying that one of our dog's hairs was a "Jesus hair". Then he got agitated with me, and was getting more and more angry and violent. I called my FIL and we took him to the ER after he threw all my clothes out of the closet because "the baby wasn't his" and I was "having an affair" with a man who doesn't exist.

Then he hit me in the face.

He spent 4 days in the hospital.

I know that if we hadn't brought him in, he would be dead. Or he would have completely lost it, and we would both be dead.

(He started drinking again a week later.)

Get him to the hospital, or get yourself out of the house. He is NOT in his right mind, and you do not know what to expect in that situation.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

People die every day self-detoxing. It happens all the time and shouldn't be done without medical supervision.

Good luck.

Cyranoak
Old 12-17-2011, 10:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Journey To Me

My advice is for him to get medical attention. Hallucinations are a part of withdrawal, and withdrawing can be very dangerous without medical supervision to monitor his levels.

My husband too experienced hallucinations when trying to detox by himself. I took him to the ER and they gave him a prescription to help ease the symptoms and avoid complications.

His mental health will most likely not be hindered. Usually there is a period of confusion and sluggishness afterwards, but full functionality will come back in time after the brain relearns how to process without the substance.