Notices

don't really know..

Old 12-16-2011, 04:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
kiddo

don't really know..

Well i'm 17 years old and I've been drinking quite a lot since I turned 15. Not with people, mostly just by myself I guess to get things out of my head and relax. I tried to stop earlier this year as well as stopping taking painkillers and sleeping pills and I stayed sober for about 3 months but I slipped again. After I slipped the people that were helping me decided to tell me they didn't want to help me anymore, and now I'm stuck. I don't know what I want to do and I need help from people who have had the same thing.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, Emma.

Welcome to SR. You will get lots of support here. At times, you might be told things you don't really want to hear but no one will give up on you.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to Sober Recovery.

Originally Posted by Emma18 View Post
After I slipped the people that were helping me decided to tell me they didn't want to help me anymore, and now I'm stuck.
I'm not sure what kind of help you were depending on, but that shouldn't stop your recovery. No one can make an addict or alcoholic quit. Only the addict can do that. And you can do it alone. We are here to support.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
kiddo

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Welcome to Sober Recovery.

I'm not sure what kind of help you were depending on, but that shouldn't stop your recovery. No one can make an addict or alcoholic quit. Only the addict can do that. And you can do it alone. We are here to support.
Well they were talking to me when I needed it but when I slipped they just told me that they didn't think I would ever be sober.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

The insanity of addiction is hard for "outsiders" to understand. That's why it is important that you find the help you need. I don't know what social programs are available in Australia but I figure someone here on SR will come along with some keen advice.

Good luck.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

but when I slipped they just told me that they didn't think I would ever be sober.

Quit drinking and prove them wrong. I used to think I couldn't quit drinking but I proved myself wrong and now have been sober two years If I can do it, so can you.

Welcome to the family.:ghug3
Old 12-16-2011, 06:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

People who aren't addicts themselves or who don't have a working knowledge of addiction can't understand how it can get in your brain causing you to slip up, sometimes time and time again.

Here, we get that.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
kiddo

I don't know what to do to change though. Because there's not many places I can take myself because I can't drive I don't know any of the proper support things. My first time being sober was such a crap time that I actually think that it was better before, although I know you will all disagree.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I actually think that it was better before, although I know you will all disagree.
You are right. I disagree. But I understand why you would feel that way. You must be overwhelmed. But drugs and drink aren't the answer. I don't know if you are in school, if there is a counselor you could talk to. One place to start might be Narcotics Anonymous (NA). You have a computer, check:
Narcotics Anonymous Australia - Meetings directory

If you have spent any time reading the post here, you have seen lot of times where people started when they were young, didn't get help until much later, and are looking back at the shambles of their life. Don't be that person.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Emma
Welcome -it's good to have you with us.

Here are some general Australian links I've gathered:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post2273689

You're fortunate in SA in that there seems to be a lot of programmes available, more than a lot of other states.

If I find anything more recent, or specifically for young people, I'll let you know in due course

In the meantime, you'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 12-16-2011, 08:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Emma!

You can lean on us for support - a lot of people here are just starting out, and we've all been at that point at some time. I drank alone, too, and it got to the point where I realized I was hiding from the world, and even worse, from myself.

I think if you do some reading here you'll see that the future is a pretty bleak one when it centers around alcohol. I know you're worth more than that. Stick around - sobriety isn't as scary as it seems......
Old 12-16-2011, 09:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

High Emma welcome. Lots of good advise in the above posts. Get online and do a search for a local Alcoholics Anonymous website. You should be able to find some meetings near you. There should be some numbers you can call to get a ride to a meeting or if it close enough you can walk or ride a bike. If you get a ride, make sure it is with another female.
This site here is incredible. Keep posting and sharing your thoughts and feelings. You will get great feedback. You will find you are not alone in the way that you feel and think. Do alot of reading here also.
God Bless
Old 12-16-2011, 09:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sorry, I meant Hi Emma, not high. Freudian slip.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

a few more specific SA links Emma

Need Help
Worried About Drug Use
Home - DrugBeat of SA Program
South Australia | DRUG ARM

D
Old 12-17-2011, 03:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
kiddo

Thanks for the links and everything else everyone. Right now I can't do much in terms of going to places because I'm overseas, but I will start looking at them now for when I get home.

The main thing that is really hard now is that I keep putting myself in situations where my friends are drinking, like at parties. And it's hard to avoid for someone my age I guess.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:14 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks for the links and everything else everyone. Right now I can't do much in terms of going to places because I'm overseas, but I will start looking at them now for when I get home.

The main thing that is really hard now is that I keep putting myself in situations where my friends are drinking, like at parties. And it's hard to avoid for someone my age I guess.
If you want to quit drinking/drugging for good....It means changing everything....Sorry...But that includes People, places and things/situations. Best of luck to you!
Old 12-17-2011, 04:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was a lot older than 17 when I quit but I had to make some changes to my life - I really wanted something different, and you can't do that without making changes IMO.

I changed some friends and took myself out of social occasions that centered around alcohol until I felt I was secure in my commitment to staying sober.

It was that important to me.
I still don't regret doing that - it was a great foundation for my continued recovery

D
Old 12-19-2011, 04:04 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
kiddo

I think I know that I have to change things, but I don't want to have to explain the reasons behind it to people.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:57 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

You don't have to explain anything. From what you said in a earlier post, about the people supporting you not believing in your recovery, your words don't carry a lot of weight. At this point, it is action that speaks. Change. Change for yourself.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:20 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
kiddo

I didn't chose to quit the first time, I was forced into it. But now at the same time I want to, I'm tempted to completely give up.

I just have no idea what is going on at all.