Notices

horribly anxious day

Old 12-15-2011, 03:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

horribly anxious day

last night I went to a christmas party and I don't remember when I left.
this isn't the first time this has happened this year.

I can't keep doing this. someone told me some stuff I was doing and it only slightly rang a bell. I'm worried I divulged information, was rude to people, etc.

I've expressed concerns about my drinking to my family and friends, and they all (big drinkers themselves) assure me I'm FINE.

I'm not. I don't want to do this anymore. It's not fun anymore. Last night was SUPPOSED to be fun and now I will look back on it with anxiety and worry.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Maybe it is time to reach out, like you have by posting here, and seek some help from people who realized drinking was not for them, whether their family and friends still drank or not.

Or maybe you could grab some recovery material, say at the book store.

Or maybe you could just stop drinking.

I tried all of those and nothing worked for me. So I went to AA. So far, that has kept me sober since Oct. 15, 2010.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't remember part of my last night either. This is my Day 1, and I don't want to not remember anymore. I am done and this site has been helping me cope today. Good luck, Lindsay, and you're not alone. Be strong.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Lindsay - you'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 12-15-2011, 04:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thanks guys - it means a lot! I did reach out to my childhood friend, who suggested I go to meetings as well. this will be hard right now - my parents are big drinkers and that's what we do when I visit. and new years eve!

truth be told, I don't remember the end of last new years either. it would be nice to remember this years.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thanks guys - it means a lot! I did reach out to my childhood friend, who suggested I go to meetings as well. this will be hard right now - my parents are big drinkers and that's what we do when I visit. and new years eve!

truth be told, I don't remember the end of last new years either. it would be nice to remember this years.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Lindsay - I had enough also - 6 weeks ago I stopped - some days are hard others easy but I remember every night

YOu made a good decision.

Terri

PS - according to my family and friends I also don't have a drinking problem lol.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I just love it when families tell you you don't have a problem or to just drink in moderation.. If it were true and that easy we wouldn't be in so much distress an sick!

I'm glad you found this site as its been a gods send. Just how accessible help is gets me through. WELCOME!
Old 12-15-2011, 04:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Lindsay! I had many times like that. I should have done what you're doing - questioned my drinking habits. Instead, I kept going for years - trying to control it. For me, it was never possible. One drink led to 10 or more - and disaster.

My drinking was always dangerous and unpredictable. The only way I could insure that I'd be safe and sane was to stop all together. It's frightening to be out of control & not remember what happened. Glad you came here to talk about it.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm unsure of what to do! my friends all drink. we are comedians in NYC. that's what the whole "scene" revolves around. I feel like I will need to stay away from them to do this, but I don't want to b/c I love them!

the funny thing is, on the nights I decide not to drink I have just as much fun. I need to remember that.

thanks for your support guys. i'm gonna need it in the next few weeks!
Old 12-15-2011, 04:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Lindsay!

I think the stress and worrying about what I might have said or done while drinking, was over-the-top at the end of my drinking days. It was always on my mind.

But, know that you never have to go through this again.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. With the help of my addiction counselor and the members here I've been happily sober for two years now. And I used to think I was hopeless.

Ignore what others say. If it's a problem for you then you're smart to remedy it before it gets any worse.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

thanks again - I'm still hungover and highly emotional. you guys are making me want to cry
Old 12-15-2011, 06:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tigger41 View Post
Lindsay - I had enough also - 6 weeks ago I stopped - some days are hard others easy but I remember every night

YOu made a good decision.

Terri

PS - according to my family and friends I also don't have a drinking problem lol.
What a true statement tigger!!!! Days and nights can still be and are hard at times, but when you're sober, you don't forget them!!!! Hang in there!!!!! It can only get better from here!!!!
Old 12-15-2011, 07:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Your not alone did that on sunday night blacked out dont remember a thing. Havent had anything since, normally I do. Found this site and have been on it every night. Think of those nights after comedy night and think of how you felt, probably pretty good? Hang in there its only going to get better.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My family and friends didn't think I have a drinking problem and now that I've quit I agree with them!

The hangovers and trying to figure out exactly what the f*ck I said/did last night and that creepy floating dread/loathing feeling when I can't sleep at 2:00 AM are gone!

What to tell people about not drinking is a minor issue, actually easier than why I'm drinking at nine in the morning...
Old 12-15-2011, 09:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Lindsay,
At some point all the comedians singers, actors, music starts etc all have to quit or die with the notable exception of Keith Richards.
Go here and click on see video clip:
DVD Reviews | Treatment center directors review substance abuse, drug rehab DVD by comedian Mark Lundholm

Originally Posted by LindsayFunke View Post
I'm unsure of what to do! my friends all drink. we are comedians in NYC. that's what the whole "scene" revolves around. I feel like I will need to stay away from them to do this, but I don't want to b/c I love them!

the funny thing is, on the nights I decide not to drink I have just as much fun. I need to remember that.

thanks for your support guys. i'm gonna need it in the next few weeks!
Old 12-15-2011, 10:04 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was a gigging musician for many years - I also know a few stand up comedians so I know the 'pull' of the lifestyle...I think the fact, like Itchy said, there are so many people who died young is probably the reason why there are many sober musicians and comedians around these days. It is possible.

I was one of the ones who did have to make major changes to my life - you may not...time will tell I guess - but whatever you decide I'm sure you'll find yourself better off not drinking

D
Old 12-16-2011, 04:27 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 12-16-2011, 05:39 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi Lindsay.
I also have a family that drinks heavy at parties and other gatherings. The first few times I was with them after stopping drinking it did get their attention that I wasn't drinking and had questions. The first time I simply told them that I've had a couple of medical issues and the doctor suggested I cut alcohol and caffeine to see if I was having a reaction. They left me alone. They still offer it to me but I now say that stopping helped my medical problem and that for now I was staying off. I then ask for a soda, decaf coffee or water. Funny thing is that over time you will start becoming more social and not less, and the people around you won't think anything of your not drinking. If the party is at your house I'd still offer the drinks you always did, just don't consume them yourself.
Good Luck, You're not alone.