Notices

Day 1 - New Sobriety

Old 12-15-2011, 07:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1 - New Sobriety

I am new to recovery, always was denying that I had a problem I guess. Last night I had too much to drink, blacked out, and woke up with a load of laundry washed, and some other things I'm too embarrassed to mention to anyone, but they happened nonetheless. This is not the first time stuff like this has happened, but I just chalked it up to having too much to drink. I need it to stop; I don't like being out of control of my actions. I found this site, and hopefully can post here with Day 2, Day 3, etc. The longest I've ever gone without drinking is probably 4 weeks, but I don't know what I did to stop the cravings. I always seem to drink at night, at home, when I'm watching TV in the evenings. I don't mean to get drunk, but once I have one drink, I end up having another, and maybe another... I just need that first drink to stop. Help!
Old 12-15-2011, 08:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to SR.

Originally Posted by Dave1969 View Post
The longest I've ever gone without drinking is probably 4 weeks, but I don't know what I did to stop the cravings.

In my experience they don't stop in the beginning. The obsessive thoughts about drinking are just that...thoughts. Thoughts can be resisted. As long as you resist that first drink, you will get through it. It's tough, but the longer you are sober, the easier it becomes.

Shaking up your routine would help, but since you drank at home that is going to be hard. Fill your time with something to help you ride out the urges. Maybe something other than watching TV, since you equate that with drinking. Have you written your Christmas cards yet?
Old 12-15-2011, 08:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Dave.
I'm only on Day 2 here so I can't offer tons of advice but I say first and foremost get all the alcohol out of the house.
Next, keep yourself busy in the evening. Maybe come here and chat in the evening to distract yourself from the cravings?
I know from my own experience as well as what others say that the cravings to start to go away after a while.
Hang in there!
Old 12-15-2011, 08:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

In the beginning I would get a book and go to bed and sleep after eating dinner just to avoid the "happy hour" at home. After a bit I started doing other things then sleep..but I had to do what I had to do to get over the hump.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good for you on your decision to quit drinking.

I know I couldn't picture life without alcohol. Didn't matter what time of day to me, though.
Have you thought of checking out a AA meeting in the evening? It works for many here.

Keep us posted, and best to you.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Dave...welcome! I am new to recovery myself having joined last month. I understand completely..I start out with 1 drink and then another and another. Wake up in the morning with regret.

It is not easy, I am taking it one day at a time. You recognize you have a problem and are posting here. That is a good start.

I would recommend you read through the posts here. You will relate to many of the individuals who are dealing with the same issues.

You will find alot of support here.

Jim
Old 12-15-2011, 11:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Dave!

I am on day 1 again myself. The best thing to remember is every day is day one in the beginning! Keep thinking that you can do it and have GREAT supporters here! Good luck!
Old 12-15-2011, 12:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I got rid of my cravings to drink by practicing gratitude every day. It worked for me very well. Give it a try.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Dave1969

It was quite a revelation to me when I learned I didn't have to give into my cravings - support really helped me - it was great to know I wasn't alone

You may also find this thread interesting
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

Welcome
D
Old 12-15-2011, 12:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

Hi Dave. Welcome to SR
Old 12-15-2011, 01:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcom Dave. I am on day 19. I have tried to stop many times but didn't stay stopped. The longest period of sobriety I had was 3 years. I joined AA during that time and my life was awesome. My life turned around so fast and I got so busy that I quit going to meetings, praying, talking to my sponser. I eventually started drinking again. I am going to meetings again, praying, talking to my sponser, and spending time here on SR. Even after just 19 days, my thoughts are more positive, the cravings are much less, and I am thinking of others a little more.
The more action you take, the quicker your recovery will be, and your chance of relapse will be less.

God Bless
Old 12-15-2011, 01:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Dave congrats on deciding to get over it!

You wrote:
"I found this site, and hopefully can post here with Day 2, Day 3, etc. The longest I've ever gone without drinking is probably 4 weeks, but I don't know what I did to stop the cravings."

Dave look over at the number of posts I have here under my name. I am not a moderator, nothing at all but one like you who started in despair of having the willpower, and in desperation reached out like you are doing now too. If you are desperate enough, and have had enough, you will say ENOUGH!
And whatever it takes, you will find you have enough.

So keep posting, as I did. You came to the right place.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Dave - it's great that you want to deal with your drinking. We know what it's like to be stuck in that place where all we want is "just one more." I know you'll find lots of ideas and inspiration here. :day6Welcome to the forum!
Old 12-15-2011, 06:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. So far so good tonight. Coke Zero. No modifications.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Your taking a step in the right direction. I understand that first drink. Its like that for most of us. Having one turns into much more than one every time. If we could drink just one, most of us wouldn't even be here.

I remember thinking like the way you are thinking. Knowing I had to quit, and promising myself "After this one Im done!" or "I quit Monday!" or "After this bottle is gone, no more!" It was an endless cycle, and it always resulted in some excuse to continue drinking.

One day I woke up, and I was done. I had just finsihed a 36 hour drinking binge, and I knew I was headed towards death if I didnt stop. I found this website, and pretty much documented my journey to recovering here. I'm pleased to report since that day I've been sober. There was no "getting it" or "not getting it." I was DONE drinking. In my honest opinion, people whom go two weeks or whatever sober, and then drink are simply not ready to quit. Its scary too because who knows if that next drink was the one that would have been my demise, I was done gambling with my life. I am pleased to report that in about a week Ill be 8 months sober. Let me tell you my friend that the life changes are mind blowing. Being sober is not all peaches and cream all the time, but it sure beats that drunken black abyss I once used to call living.

Plain and simple. Being sober is a superior way of life. Its just most alcoholics (including me at one point) had forgot what living sober was really like. Its all that they say it is, and more!!

Stick with it bud! Stay strong, and I promise you the initial hardship will pay off 10 fold.

-Ryan
Old 12-15-2011, 09:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
a southern belle

hey dave...great choice!! yes, it is scary to wake up and realize that you have no idea what happened in your life or what you did. i know what you mean...that you would just have one drink but, one became two, became three, and so on. i agree that making changes in your normal routine will help you to stay sober. i also recommend that you try the chatroom site here. it is a wonderful tool with wonderful people who are compassionate and understanding. its great to chat with other people on the same journey....good luck...mags
Old 12-16-2011, 05:28 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Woke up without hangover symptoms. Ahh. Thanks for the support everyone! Day 2, here I come.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:08 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Dave1969..Welcome to day 2!
Old 12-16-2011, 12:02 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Just had a tough moment, came here and read, got my resistance / strength back. Thanks. Still Day 2.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:51 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Try and stay away from anything that even reminds you of drinking. I know its hard because if you were like me, that about eliminates 99% of things in your life. But remember its only temporary. I couldnt even listen to music when I first got sober. Its crazy how we relate so much of our daily routines to having a drink. Again, its only temporary limitations.

I'm glad your coming here when you have a bad urge to drink. I did the exact same thing, and it helped out so much. If it helps be a little more specific on the challenges you are facing. 99% of the time people will chime in on here, and reply with helpful words. Even write about how hard a situation was, and how to overcame it. People will chime in, and give you some much earned at-a-boys. Those always helped me

Stick with it Dave! You got this!

-Ryan