Notices

Going to quit - again!

Old 12-14-2011, 12:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Going to quit - again!

Hi,

After many attempts to quit drinking I am determined to finally do it. Although I haven't had a drink in three days, today is a "danger day" for me, because I am off work tomorrow and Friday. The past few months this would mean that I would stop by the liquor store and buy enough wine and alcohol to drink this evening. What could possibly be wrong with that, I am off work next day.

This has usually ended up with me being wasted and wasting my two days off, with lighter drinking into the next couple of work days.

I have tried to quit many times, and quitting is easy, it is staying away from the bottle and not telling myself that I can control my drinking that is the hard part.

I am 50 and have not been drinking all my life. I started in 2006 after a series of personal losses. The other times I have tried to quit I have not asked for help or support. This time I am here, hoping for support. I am also considering finding a therapist again, or attending AA meetings, although there is a lot about AA that I don't like, or agree with.

Anyhow, there will be no trip to the liquor store today on my way to the evening shift.
Wish me luck!
Old 12-14-2011, 12:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good luck! It takes effort to quit, and do what ever is necassary. Use all the tools at your disposal.

Best to you, and keep us posted.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family.:ghug3 Staying sober isn't easy but it's worth the effort. I've been sober now for two years and am enjoying my life for the first time in a long while.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Try to find something else to do at quitting time that will distract from the trip to the liquor store.
Boredom is your enemy at this point.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hey, Frankie! You have a great attitude. Congratulations on making it through those first 3 days. They are difficult!

I had a pattern similar to yours, but in the end I was drinking every day. Since it's a progressive disease, you're wise to kick it out of your life now - before the really dangerous times hit. You can do it, Frankie .
Old 12-14-2011, 02:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hey, Frankie! You have a great attitude. Congratulations on making it through those first 3 days. They are difficult!

I had a pattern similar to yours, but in the end I was drinking every day. Since it's a progressive disease, you're wise to kick it out of your life now - before the really dangerous times hit. You can do it, Frankie .
Old 12-14-2011, 04:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by Frankie12 View Post
I am 50 and have not been drinking all my life. I started in 2006 after a series of personal losses. The other times I have tried to quit I have not asked for help or support. This time I am here, hoping for support. I am also considering finding a therapist again, or attending AA meetings, although there is a lot about AA that I don't like, or agree with.

Anyhow, there will be no trip to the liquor store today on my way to the evening shift.
Wish me luck!
Awesome Frankie.

Asking for help, working and helping with others is a surefire way to keep you away from that booze. Good to hear you're gonna give yourself a chance to turn it all around.

Good luck!
Old 12-14-2011, 04:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I'm glad you've found us.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I started seeing an addiction therapist 4 months ago... helped A LOT!! But it can be expensive and meeting only once in a while, I found myself not drinking certain days just to feel good for appointments... never mattered though, cause he had a way of getting my real feelings out anyway!! If you need daily support, AA might be a better option. I may start going regularly once I move, but the few meeting I've been to have been good experiences.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Frankie. I'm right there with you. 49. Started drinking in 2006 after my significant other and sister were at such odds that my only sister and I are now estranged. Stinks doesn't it?

You can do this we have a lot of life yet to live. Come by and chat anytime you need support and I'll sign the munchkin song with you ((hugs))
Old 12-14-2011, 08:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Frankie!

Getting support was the key for me - I just couldn't stay stopped on my own willpower. Hang out with us, do some things on your days off that are relaxing, whatever it takes to get through the next couple days sober. You'll feel so good about yourself when you do!
Old 12-14-2011, 10:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the words of support and wisdom.

JimH, you absolutely hit the nail on the head with your comment about boredom, as well as finding something to distract from the trip to the liquor store. Before I started drinking, I had many hobbies. Time to get back to some of them, or find new ones.

Tigger, it is oddly comforting to find someone in such a similar situation. Thank you for the hug. (((hugs)))

CamilleBelle, I know a therapist can be expensive, but so is alcohol, and I am (sorry, used to be) a snobby boozer.
Maybe that money saved can be used towards a therapist for now.
I will consider AA meetings, though.

Fyi, I work as a restaurant manager in a fine dining establishment. We serve a lot of wines and cocktails, and sometimes I am the one mixing the beverages, serving them and then removing the "dregs".
As we are not allowed to drink on the job, that has never been a problem. I am just concerned that the temptation will be there, and I wonder how I will deal with it.

But!!! Day 4 is behind me!
Old 12-14-2011, 10:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yikes! I see I promoted myself to restaurant manager. I am an assistant manager.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

For me boredom, having money, being to happy, sad, lonely, it was raining it was sunny out. Someone died, someone got married, hell it was Wednesday, it didn't matter I drank to be numb so I didn't have to deal with reality or that empty hole I had deep down in my soul.

Try not to look at the differences in AA meetings, force yourself to look for the similarities. It is easier to do this thing when you approach it as a we program not an I one.

Nothing is so bad that a drink or a drug won't make worse.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
instant

There is peace beyond the torment and the struggle. Accepting that alcohol will never bring lasting comfort ever again helps.