Notices

Making progress

Old 12-13-2011, 05:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Making progress

So, I had my last appointment with my addiction therapist before my big move this morning and he said I have made a ton of progress! Not necessarily with the quitting aspect... (tho he agrees with all of you that me setting a quit date at the 1st is just my way of continuing to drink, which, maybe it is... but I have my mind set on it, so I wont get in to that)

BUT, more progress with understanding what is happening and where I want to be with my life. His jaw literally dropped when I told him I went to two meetings... I have been anti-AA since I started seeing him 4 months ago, and he says it shows I am getting more comfortable with who I am, and the changes that will be taking place.

I am an Alcoholic. Period. and if you had asked me that 4 moths ago, I would have laughed and said "no freaking way! I just like drinking!" He said for a 27 year old, I am lucky to be realizing the problem now... before I've had any major negative consequences!

It feels good to finally admit I have a problem, and I know It will feel soooooo much better when I commit to my sobriety. I'm not drinking today. maybe not tomorrow, but once the 1st comes... it's go time!!

Lastly... my therapist recommended Campral for when I quit... anyone have success with it? Just curious!

And thanks for all your support! It's is so helpful, and my therapist says I'm the first client who has made him think that an internet site can be helpful with treatment. (yes, I talk about this site... actually Rave about this site!) So, thanks again!
Old 12-13-2011, 05:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am taking Naltrexone- actually just started the pill form today. I am going to start taking a shot once a month (Vivitrol) after my blood work comes back.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes Campral helped me a lot. Some people have side effects, often they are initial and wear off. I also had counseling to back up the Campral treatment. I noticed on it my thoughts seemed calmer and clearer, less extreme in general - it was sort of a revelation (is this the way that 'normal' people think?) I was using it for a year. It may take awhile to kick in, supposed to be 2 weeks, though I thought I noticed an improvement before then.

I held off for a year before I tried it, it's not for everyone, many people don't like to take a pill to get well from alcoholism... it's a highly personal choice, and in truth it takes more than a pill to stop drinking. If you really work on the recovery I think you can achieve the same effects without a pill. But I had good personal experience with it, alcohol is no longer destroying my life and that's what counts most to me.

You don't have to wait until the 1st, I quit later in the year, I'd just had enough. I set up a lot of dates before then though... all in all, I waited about 10 years for the 'right time' to quit.

The first time I went to a therapist, I was fairly closed off (went because everyone else was telling me to go), it didn't really benefit me at all. The second time I went back, a bit humbled after not managing very well on my own, I was more willing to listen and it made all the difference.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Regardless of your issue with the quit date, the vibe I get from this post is very positive. Way to go, CamilleBelle.

I haven't taken any meds during my quit. Only hot tea, valerian (or skullcap) and ice cream. I think the ice cream worked the best. *wink*
Old 12-13-2011, 08:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Michelle and Darren! Darren let me know how that works for you... one of the books I'm reading swears by Naltrexone... Michelle, I'm glad to hear you had a good experience with the Campral! And I know there is no "magic pill" to help quit. I plan on finding a new counselor in my new town and also possibly attending AA and finding a sponsor... Just worried about a California gal tossed in with the South eastern crowd... I've been told a thousand times its going to be a culture shock!
Old 12-13-2011, 08:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

AA and a good sponser has saved my life. The more action you take and the harder you work with the guidance of a sponser will help you to recover and feel better much faster.
God Bless