Recoverying addict using Weed?

Old 12-13-2011, 04:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recoverying addict using Weed?

Really, I am just looking for opinions on this matter. My AH (now sober for a year) has recently picked up smoking weed because it "helps him see life in a different way." (Cough). Now correct me please if I am wrong. But being an addict is having a disease. A part of your brain is damaged and by using any kind of substance,ie alcohol or pills, can trigger the addict behaviors. That damaged part of the brain activates in the obsessive way that is addiction. This is why an alcoholic can not ever go back to having just one beer.

So could weed be that same sort of trigger for a substance abuser or an alcoholic?
Old 12-13-2011, 05:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Any mind altering chemical or substance....in my opinion...is not being clean and sober...and that would include weed. My husband smokes weed too...even got a mj license for anxiety. But when he smokes weed he says it takes him into an alter world...that's where he says he connects spiritually...with weed and rap music. He doesn't abuse it but he puffs a small bit before work, during lunch and at home at night. I gave up on trying to get him to quit. But from what I have learned in NA...weed is a drug and being clean means no drugs. Unless they are medically prescribed and taken in the right dosage. Also weed can lead into other things...other drugs...a stepping off point. Oh yeah...and though I think it is less harmful than most drugs...it is still illegal.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yup. Any mind altering substance is used to 'escape' the present state of mind.

Trust yourself. If it doesn't feel right, it probably isn't. If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't feel right about his use of marijuana.

If you feel that he's now in active addict mode, remember that it is unwise to trust his opinions on his drug use.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Your AH has relapsed because marijuana is a drug.

When your AH got sober a year ago, did you make up a plan for what you would do if he ever relapsed? Because that has happened, and this is when you move ahead with that plan.

It's good you came here with your dilemma. Keep coming back because it takes strength to look addiction in the face and deal with it appropriately. You and your husband are worth it.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

What others have said here is true, he is using a mind altering drug.

Sadly, many recovering addicts/alcoholics think they can "just" smoke pot, or have a few beers, I have seen this personally and not once did it ever have a good outcome. It either created a new addiction or same addiction different drug, or took them back to their original drug of choice.

That's how it affects the addicted. How it affects us is that we are right back on the roller coaster and it's up to us to decide if this is how we want to live our lives. Personally, with my son, I got off the roller coaster and left the park.

Hugs to you because I know this isn't easy and living with active addiction is hell.

Hugs
Old 12-14-2011, 07:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

A drug is a drug. The pot of today is like 3 times more potent then that of 30 years ago. It alters ones thinking, and to me, is a gateway drug, that will lead an addict to the harder stuff.

Just my two cents, take what you want and leave the rest.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone. Its nice to have some validation once in awhile. I was thinking the same things as you all, I just wasn't too sure of myself. my bad habit. But thank you for your input!