Notices

Help! At lunch and...

Old 12-13-2011, 09:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help! At lunch and...

I am on from my phone hiding in the bathroom right now, met up with 2 friends and having lunch. They are drinking and keep telling me I should have one that I look tense. They are not aware of my problem and that I gave up drinking. I am to ashamed to tell them. I just keep saying no its ok I have to drive, which is true but theyre looking at me like when has that stopped me before.

Ughhh the evil voice inside keeps telling me your in control you havent drank in a week tomorrow... you deserve it. So sad how Im trying to justify this to myself. What I really want to do is drink a power shake and run to the gym right now before I make a decision I regret... but I cant because I have to go somewhere after this. Dear God grant me Will Power Please!
Old 12-13-2011, 09:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Don't do! You have just gotten past the worst of the withdraws and it gets better from here. Tell them no and that's final. If you must, tell them you quit for health reasons. You will regret it if you do. Hang in there
Old 12-13-2011, 09:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You know what the right decision is. Just don't have a drink!
Old 12-13-2011, 09:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Just tell them "thanks, but I really have no desire at the moment." Ugh, what a terrible thing to be put in this situation at lunch with coworkers. Is there no policy against it?
Old 12-13-2011, 09:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

No one can make you drink, and honestly if they are really your friends and you say no they should respect that..without further question. I think ultimately YOU need to be okay with the decision not to drink and not worry about what they think. Frankly, what they think is none of your business anyway. Can't please everyone.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I think it's rather rude of them to insist you drink when you've said no. Just tell them NO THANKS as many times as you have to until they 'get it' and lay off.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

Personally, if you don't think you can get through this without drinking, leave. Just get up and go. Better to be rude than fall back into the trap. You can explain later or not...frankly, your recovery is none of their damn business. Don't drink, no matter what.

--Fenris.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Don't drink. Don't drink. Don't drink. We love you don't drink. Think that their drinks have worms in them. Don't drink.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I cut out early, made an excuse. I couldn't... the smell the cheers and laughter. I felt like an outsider. I can't wait for the day that these sort of thing don't bother me. I don't want to be a social misfit either. Thank you to all who replied, the encouragement helps me stay strong. Have a blessed day.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MadamX View Post
I cut out early, made an excuse. I couldn't... the smell the cheers and laughter. I felt like an outsider. I can't wait for the day that these sort of thing don't bother me. I don't want to be a social misfit either. Thank you to all who replied, the encouragement helps me stay strong. Have a blessed day.
Good job madamx. Keep it up. You may have tough days now and again but it will get easier I promise.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Strong Woman! You are no social misfit - people that press others to drink are the misfits. No mature adult with any awareness about the world around them does that.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well, how did you "hook up" in the first place? My long term goal on this go-around for me is to NEVER visit somewhere serving alcohol; the risk is just too great in my opinion.

Just do a no show, or call them. It's your life. I don't know about you, but as I said above, I'm just not going to allow myself to get into these situations. Yes, it's hard to do; damn hard as a matter of fact, but it can be done.

Don't have to change much, just your whole life :-) (from my man Dan@Oriana House)

Sober Me
Old 12-13-2011, 11:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good Job Madam, It wasn't worth it and it won't be no matter who tries to press you into "just a drink". You did well and your conscious/mind/body will thank you for it.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

It does get better Madam. I can do things today that were impossible for me in early sobriety, including being around others that are drinking (at least for a short time). Just know your limits and respect them.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I agree with Fenris. In the beginning I was resentful & sorry for myself. My sobriety was very fragile, so I had to be careful of where I went & who I was around. After a few months it didn't matter any more - I was stronger and nothing could sway me to go back to that old, sick life.

Very glad you came here to talk it out - and that you didn't cave. It sounds risky for you to put yourself in a situation like that right now. Please be careful.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:30 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you got through it MadamX.
Cut yourself some slack - you have 6 days - noone can change a life in 6 days.

I found it really helped me to think carefully about my social life for a while. I actually took a few months off from events where alcohol could be a factor.

I needed to put some distance between the person I was and the person I wanted to be.

D
Old 12-13-2011, 12:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you got through it MadamX.
Cut yourself some slack - you have 6 days - noone can change a life in 6 days.

I found it really helped me to think carefully about my social life for a while. I actually took a few months off from events where alcohol could be a factor.

I needed to put some distance between the person I was and the person I wanted to be.

D
Old 12-13-2011, 12:31 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yay for you!!!
Old 12-13-2011, 01:07 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

MX - yeah for you - that's great and must have been hard.

I avoided those situations for my first few weeks but still find that when I am in those environments I'm a bit emotional - so I'm avoiding them again.

Dee has some good advice on that -
I don't want to be an outsider either - post if that happens again and I'll say the same thing

DON'T DRINK don't drink - think of you getting pulled over for the DUI - think of you hung over the next day - think of you saying something stupid - think what you need to not to pick up that first drink.

Great job again by the way - really great.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:39 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you got through it, and it does get better.

And, remember you can socialize in places that don't serve alcohol. How about meeting for coffee?