Notices

New Years

Old 12-13-2011, 06:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Years

So...any advice on what to do on new years being that I am so early in sobriety? I just know I can't go to any of the parties I've been invited to...I won't be able to not drink. There, I said it. Sober people I could've hung out with will be out of state to visit family. Looks like I will be spending it home alone and I am trying not to view this as depressing. I should see it as a positive for taking care of myself. I have my moments where it makes me sad though. Should I make a nice dinner? Rent some good flicks?
Old 12-13-2011, 06:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

You are wise to pass on the parties. Do whatever brings you comfort. Log onto SR and help with those that might be struggling. You might be a little sad, just don't brood about it, don't mourn not drinking. Think about all the positives of a new year. Sobriety, growth, new paths. I'm not big on resolutions, but it doesn't hurt to look at where you want to be in 6 months, set some goals, and work out a plan to accomplish them.

Foremost, make your recovery your number one goal for 2012!
Old 12-13-2011, 06:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

New Years Eve drinking was always a biggy for me - great excuse. This year, I think I'm going to go to the cinema and then home to bed....stay completely away from any bars or parties.

I'm also not going to my works Christmas party this year. I don't yet feel strong enough to be around people consuming large quantities of alcohol so I'm intending to keep myself safe.

I'd rather wake up New Years day, hangover free, sober (still) and somewhat *boring* (in other peoples eyes)

Stay safe...

Do you have any friends that in recovery too? x
Old 12-13-2011, 06:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I will take your advice carl and log on to SR and be a support for others, what a great idea And no ttbp I don't have any friends in recovery. I have some friends that just never drink but they won't be around. I live in a new state and don't know many people to begin with. Actually looking into volunteer opportunities in my area so I can hpefully make some friends. People who volunteer tend to be sober hahah The movies is actually a great idea too..def something I will consider
Old 12-13-2011, 07:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Rent some movies! Make a special dinner for yourself.

And I second the logging on to SR.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Prior to my 5 year drunk, my ex and I stayed home with the kids, made a bunch of yummy snacks, got a bottle of sparkling grape juice and stayed up to watch the ball drop with Dick Clark. Sometimes we would buy some fire works for the kids. And to think I use to feel like I was missing something by not going out. We did that for 10 years. I sure miss those days
Old 12-13-2011, 07:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

AA always has things well planned for New Years Eve and Day with 24 hr meetings held where available. I've been to a few in my early sobriety, and they can be a great comfort when you want to be around other like-minded people. I've also done the stay at home and relax alone on New Year, and that works too.

Being alone can be daunting, and sometimes it seems that there is no upside to the lonliness. There is though, you know?

I haven't been alone for years now, but I remember when I was. Those times I was grateful not for being alone of course, but for knowing I was well on my way to a real life that I would not have to be alone anymore, unless I chose to be alone. This too will pass.

That worked out for me, having a real life without being lonely. I'm all the more grateful today for those early days I was still learning to live my new sober life. Those days back when are like true treasures I can revisit time and again in my memories of how far I've come.

Be safe and be loving to yourself through the holidays. Soon enough it will be past, and memories will be what remains. Be good to yourself!

Cheers!
Old 12-13-2011, 07:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Smart move - I went to a Christmas party and it still was a bit much right now.

I would get a few movies that I loved or would love to see and just snuggle in for the night. Celebreate that you're taking care of yourself.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

It's just another day, really. When I was drinking, I was usually so drunk by the time the ball dropped I had no memory of celebrating it anyways. Course, now I'm in bed well before it drops and I haven't really missed it at all. Stick around here and post/chat, I'm sure there will be a lot of us hanging around supporting each other.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This may sound funny but this was the one day of the year I did not drink! January 1st of course with all the football games was a drunkin mess but not New Years even! This year I am taking my wife to see the Blue Man Group and I am pretty sure she will not be letting me drink!
Old 12-13-2011, 08:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

New Year's Eve is on a Saturday, right? I plan on just treating it like another day and doing pretty much what I do every Saturday. I'll probably spend a little more time that weekend at my home group and set off some fireworks with the family that night, but yeah, since New Year's and drinking are so firmly intertwined, even for non-alcoholics, it's not really a holiday that I plan to pay much attention to.

--Fenris.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

NYE used to be a BIG THING.

I think for me the real attraction was it was one night where drinking to excess, and all night, was socially sanctioned.

That's not me anymore

I'm older now too, and the passage of another year is not really something to get excited about LOL

Whatever I do it will be a quiet evening - and I like it like that now.
It's not disappointing at all

D
Old 12-13-2011, 01:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Stay home and rent a movie. Go out and have an early dinner- endless opportunities- just avoid the temptation. Good luck.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Great ideas so far. As others have said, it's just another day, and you will be really proud of yourself when you wake up sober in 2012.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm too old and sedentary to go out and 'party' anymore. My idea of fun is to get a pizza (I live two minutes walk away from a great pizza place) and share it with the dogs then go to bed and snuggle in the new year with the doggies.

Besides, going out means driving and there's a lot of drunks on the road that holiday. I'd rather not be on the road with all those drunks out there crashing into things...
Old 12-13-2011, 03:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

It's all in your attitude! Buy yourself your favorite foods, rent some good movies, and settle in to enjoy the evening. Next morning, enjoy the clear mind you'll have!

I've always find those hangover-free mornings to be the best reward!
Old 12-13-2011, 03:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm gonna watch the ball drop in Time's Square in my warm comfortable home. I love seeing Dick Clark year after year.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:37 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My New Year's Eve plans will be me in my cozies, a yummy dinner, some movies and "check ins" with SR....and I couldn't be happier about those plans
Old 12-14-2011, 08:27 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yeah guys come on, forget that crap let's just hang out here....