Friend addicted to pills

Old 12-12-2011, 10:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Friend addicted to pills

I have a friend that is addicted to taking controled substances and It hurts me so bad to see him when he is so messed up. I love him more than anything but today was the first time I enjoyed being around him since the summer time. He wanted me to watch tv with him and then he fell asleep finally at a normal time bc he is usually up all hours of the night. I want to know waht I can do to help him in his self recovery and also dont want to annoy him either. He is doing so well but this has happened before. I want him to know how great he is when not on drugs but dont know how to tell him this or what not.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If I could just tell the addict they are an addict and their life would get better if they got clean....wouldn't that be great! It didn't work that way for me and my son though. They don't listen until they become so miserable that the horribleness of their lives is worse than the high from drugs. You could talk to him but until he is ready to change...don't be disappointed if he doesn't listen. I'm sorry you are going through this. We are all here to share our stories, feelings and suggestions. It's good to talk to people who understand how you are feeling. Take care of you and try to let him go a little. You can't change him.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

jkd, your a good friend. Drug addiction is hard so if you friend doesn't stop, please don't feel it was anything you did or didn't do. Some positive things you could do is get information on counseling, out patient rehab, or inhouse if that would be suitable to friends needs, or even invite him to go with you to a NA meeting. Don't push it. Just supply info and see what happens. If you get pushy they tend to back away.
Oh, I guess most of all for you would be to go to a Nar-non meeting and find out what you should be doing to keep yourself good. They will be a tremendous help
Old 12-13-2011, 08:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you. I try to be a good friend but i am disappointed a lot and it hurts. I have grown up with a recovering alcoholic father who has relapsed and gone back to rehab etc. I feel like it surrounds me. I always think if I didn't do tht he wouldn't do that etc. I know my friend is depressed and I always try to get him out of the house and he will sleep all day and not want to do anything. I don't know what else I can do to get him to do something. He doesn't like to do anything he used to. He never answers his phone or responds to texts. I go over there almost every day or every few days but I don't know if he gets mad at me and like why r u here or appreciates and is happy I stop over. He doesn't talk to anyone else and I am his only social life.

i like this forum bc gives me ideas and help I am so thankful I came across this site
Old 12-13-2011, 08:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

his mom has provided him a lot of info on various rehab places in and outpatient. he has been in both but nothing has worked. I have also seen him hit bottom which is what I thought was going to be bottom to him. but it was not