Things to the mind off things: books &... ?? :)

Old 12-12-2011, 08:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Talking Things to the mind off things: books &... ?? :)

I'm wanting to post more positive things about myself and would love to hear what everyone does to distract themselves when the mind starts wandering to the place that shall not be named, especially at night.

Me, I like watching online tv and reading books.

Fav. tv shows right now that I have to watch:

1. Once Upon a Time - Story of all the fairytale characters we grew up with who have a curse on them. So they are living in 'today's world' in a town called Storybrooke and have no recollection of their pasts lives.... it's such a good show!

2. Harry's Law - stars Kathy Bates as a kermudgingly loving defense lawyer. The first season was brilliant... I wish they would bring back that rawness to this show. 2nd season is good, but it's reminding me of a lot of the other 'law' shows out there now.

3. Fringe - Sci-fi show with Joshua Jackson and John Noble (as Dr. Walter Bishop). Walter Bishop HANDS DOWN is my FAV. tv character out there... he is phenomenal! The whole premise of the show is so fresh and original. I think one would have to see the whole series in order to really understand the depths of the characters and the main storyline. Well worth it.

4. (an oldie but a goodie): Coronation Street - 1/2 British soap that has been on the air, oh man... I think for over 45 years?? I always want to have a cup of tea in hand and a nice egg breakfast in front of me when I watch it.

As for books... by my bedside right now are:

1. Boundaries - by Cloud & Townsend
2. 1Q84 - by Haruki Murakami
3. Robopocalypse - by Daniel H. Wilson
4. One or two Vanity Fairs...

How about you? Do you like certain shows or books that you'd recommend for others... or have a hobby like knitting or sewing or something that you'd like to share? I think that will be my next endeavor... to knit myself some cool arm warmers or a toque. ---- I just have to learn how! Oooo... and finally learn how to play my guitar that I bought 5 years ago. ha ha ha!
Old 12-12-2011, 09:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I love to knit , all summer i was knitting booties for the family they were laughing at the time but now everyone wants a pair,its a nice hobby keeps you occupied and warm!!!,

books, I love to read but havent picked up a book in a while, i think i need something new , come to think of it im gonna go online this weekend and get a few, reading is always a great way loose oneself

sometimes i take myself out and get my nails done, a massage, things like that , or even better, go shopping!!!! the ultimate feel better treatment, i swear
Old 12-12-2011, 09:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's funny... I kind of feel like I've forgotten myself
Now that I'm separated from my AH... and now that I'm going no contact and trying to work on me I realized the following things
1. I love classic literature... all kinds and miss reading
2. I used to read the New Yorker every week.. will resume that too
3. I'm really out of shape and need to feel physically good again instead of just getting through the day....I love yoga and running
4. I don't really watch tv and haven't had premium cable since I moved out from AH but he just sent me a text telling me about the unexpected ending to this season's Boardwalk Empire.. so I think I'll catch up online..
5. I started journalling and want to do that every day, even if it's a little bit...
6. I need to get a hobby I guess... all I've been focused on in the last 8 or so years has been my career and social life and then my career and all the changes that happened with AH before and after his addiction exploded.. I guess I have time for me now and it's a funny feeling.... these are good things to think about..
Old 12-13-2011, 01:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Books, writing, meetings...I have forgotten how to have fun though. I'm just trudging along right now...
Old 12-13-2011, 03:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I LOVE Once Upon a Time. I was a big big big LOST fan, and nothing has caught my attention on tv since then. But I also like Big Bang Theory and I, too love Boardwalk. Which is odd because normally I can't stand watching violent shows. Last show of this season was a doozie. I am not much of a TV watcher tho I will watch the history channel from time to time

Walking does wonders to take away stress.

I love to read up on Buddhist and like minded books.I have been slowly reading Ram Dass latest book BE Love Now. I love to take some time out to Meditate.

I am learning to quilt. Since I never learned to sew it has been quite the challenge.

I love to write, have lots of poetry and been working on a book, but have not put much time into it lately. I do journal, but that started getting depressing. lol. So I have slacked off on that a bit.

Trying to get back into a yoga routine.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I do crafts of all kinds and am currently working on 2 quilts. I tend to obsessively work on one type of craft or project and then switch to something else. My other recent craft obsessions were sock creatures and origami. My crafting makes me feel better about my Law and Order habit

AH and I are watching Breaking Bad on Netflix. We are also reading some books on Buddhism together and I am working through the comic book series for the Living Dead (he just finished it). I'm also on book 3 of the Twilight series

I do theatre regularly but am not currently working on anything.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Volunteer work! I took some visiting Korean students to volunteer with me at a fundraiser and one of them commented "Everyone seems much happier in the US than in Korea. Everyone is smiling." I explained to her that I think we are all about as happy as we decide to be and that goes for people all over the world.

Especially at Christmas helping wrap gifts for children has made me really really happy.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I love this topic : )

I go see movies, come on SR, read, watch tv... Being alone is silence is OK too sometimes if I'm feeling strong..

Working out and shopping don't feed a healthy side of me, so I stick to the basic and keep it simple...
Old 12-13-2011, 11:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I don't watch a lot of programs but love movies.

The TV shows I do watch are mainly on Comedy Central. I love South Park. My AH and I also watch Breaking Bad when the season is going. This next season is the last. Although I like the show a lot, that being AH DOC makes me feel guilty for watching the show. There is a conflict in my brain.

I also love driving our race car during racing season.

I really don't have a "hobby", never really have which has nothing to do with AH. I spent most of my adulthood raising my kids mainly by myself. I did not have time for a hobby. I'm not really very good at art stuff so, that does not interst me. I do like to cook and have always thought I would love to good to a culinary school. Which is so far left of my technical career it is not even funny.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I love Once Upon A time! Grimm is somewhat similar if you're looking for a new show. Also I have recently been going back and watching new shows or old shows from season 1, episode 1. Like The Office and How I Met Your Mother...

Being around animals helps. Also, I am not by any means a talented singer but I started belting out songs and recording myself on my laptop when alone...It is strangely cathartic.

Working out, tanning (yes, I know, cancer), SR, walking around a town/city, writing (picked up a freelance writing gig), journaling, organizing my living space...hold up -

- Justlizzyd you have a racecar??? Awesome.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I really have been thinking about taking some type of martial arts class. I have always wanted to and they say you are never to old???... I did a little kickboxing when I was younger. I really enjoyed that. I think after the first of the year I am going to just do that.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thlayli, your sock monkeys are adorable!!!!!!!!! how colorful and fun!
Old 12-14-2011, 05:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks That was turning into a bit of an "addiction" for a while. Soooooo hard to pass up cute socks!

Justlizzyd - cooking can most definitely be a hobby. I've been quite active on a message board for over 10 years now with people who have cooking as a hobby. Good point about kids. I didn't have one until I was 40 so I've had plenty of time to indulge myself with other activities.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thlayli - I agree... such vibrant colours etc. to look at during this gloomy season is very refreshing and positive (love the monkeys too).

And for having a baby at 40... awesome! My friends all think I'm barren now (I've hinted it so they'd just leave me alone)... - I've always wanted children but haven't been able to conceive. Maybe I'll still have a chance in the next year or so... and well, if not, then I'm going to look into adopting a child by myself!! I'm excited by that prospect... really will be serious once my divorce goes through in a year or so.

Hugs!
Old 12-15-2011, 07:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi! I am a former couch potato who is turning into a workout nut, love to go to the gym and on weekends I ride my bike. We took up biking about 2 years ago and it is the most soothing thing to hum down the road with nature all around, hearing your whir of the tires. Also love to watch our kids in their sports. Middle boy is varsity football and daughter is cheerleader. We immerse ourselves with our friends and it has helped us so much in the last year.
PS: The sock monkeys ARE so cute!
Old 12-15-2011, 07:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I love reading (just read the Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks - outstanding!) and photography (taking pics, photo blogs and books, etc). I am hooked on the TV show American Horror Story -- it is good old fashion trashy TV, with a twist of scary When the weather is nice I love camping, hiking and walking my dog. I also make jewelry from sea glass, though I haven't done much in a while. Now that it is getting cold I will probably pick up on that again. Great thread, thx canfixonlyme