Notices

Day 1

Old 12-11-2011, 05:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1

I'm glad to have found this forum. I have admitted out loud to myself and husband that I am an alcoholic and need help. I don't plan to do AA. I thought about setting a quit date.... But then decided that there was no reason to put it off. So cold turkey is my method. I'm planning o go to the library tomorrow and get a couple books on the topic.

I have been drinking since I was 17. I remember when I first started that I wasn't like the others that drank. I only wanted to hang out with others who drank and I always left when the beer was gone. I have been drinking for 23 years. It has gotten to the point that I drink at least 5 days a week.

Looking forward to getting to know people here and receive/give support.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome! A lot of folks will be around shortly. A lot of them will say the same things I'm going to say.

First, it's a good idea to see a doctor, withdrawal from alcohol can be deadly and if you have been drinking for 23 years you may have some complications.

Second, what's your plan? Using will power alone is often not enough when you are trying to quit after such a long time.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, It's my 5th day. I too just told my hubbie that I had to do this. I went to a couple of AA meetings in the past and did not like them. This time I did 4 meetings in 5 days. I am so comfortable there now it is better at times then being home.
Good lick in your new adventure what ever you decide to do. But you might want to give it another chance
Diana
Old 12-11-2011, 05:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to the site! It is a great place to talk, vent, ask questions and seek support. Good luck!
Old 12-11-2011, 05:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome and Good Choice!

I'd have to agree with Zebra...better check with doc first...and figure out a plan to follow of staying quit. 'Just stopping' is hard...you need support and tools to pull out when you're feeling overwhelmed.
But this is the best choice in the world. I commend you on quitting.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR GettingStarted

D
Old 12-11-2011, 06:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome. I just joined recently too and I am on day 11. I have been a regular drinker for 30 years (I started regulary when I was 15). The longest I have gone without a drink is about 3 weeks which was a New Years resolution one year. I don't remember the year. This forum has really helped me so far.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome, GettingStarted!

I'm glad you found this forum, too..... It was my lifeline when I first got sober. I couldn't imagine a life without drinking, but the longer I drank the smaller my world got and I just couldn't see any other way to live.

Congratulations on making a decision to stop drinking. I'm sure it doesn't seem like it right now, but things really, really do get better.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I'm glad you found us.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcomes. I'm on day 8 today and I was crabby leaving work and wanting nothing more than to come home and pour a drink x 5 and veg in front of my reality shows. The best thing happened when I walked into my home. The kitchen was all cleaned. My 14 year old decided to clean before doing homework!!! It instantly made me so thankful for him and helped reinforce that I will not give in tonight.

PS - I haven't had any "powerful" withdrawals yet, just a few cravings. I don't do AA or in/out patient counseling, but I have been going to a therapist for the past couple months due to issues with my 14 yr old. But I felt so comfortable with her that I told her about my drinking almost every night and that I prefer to be alone. Maybe when this crutch that causes me to be depressed and isolate myself is shorter, I can start enjoying my life in other areas.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi GettingStarted and welcome
Old 12-19-2011, 05:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome getting started. This site is a tremendous help. I am at 49 days today. The cravings were very hard at first, but they do get better and less frequent.
How great that you came home to a clean kitchen. That would be a nice surprise for me too.

Best of luck. Come here and read often.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good luck getting started. I found that I could not stay sober alone. I had to reach out face to face. Which was not easy for me. I drank alone because I could drink the way I wanted to. I could get drunk and "only" my family would see, and heck they were used to it. I drank for 30 years. I went to therapists for many reasons, told them I drank and continued to do so. An alcohol councelor will be more direct about what needs to be done. AA is not for everyone. I tried it more times than I can count. Hey it took on about try gazillion.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great news, GettingStarted. Some never see what they're doing to themselves. I'm so glad you've decided to reach out for a new & better life. SR saved performed miracles for me after a lifetime of drinking. I hope it will do the same for you.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Re-Member

If you are ready you came to the right place. Keep posting and we'll be here for you.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi getting started. Wow your 8th day. You are better then most. You have the strength to make it, I can tell. I am on day 3 so I will be keeping track of you. The doctor is always a good idea but now that you are past the first week the physical stuff may be passed but always good to talk to a professional. I wish you the best of luck. Stay strong!!!!
Old 12-19-2011, 06:22 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome!!!!!!
Old 12-19-2011, 06:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good on you

for getting started on recovery. It would mean a lot to me if my child had cleaned the kitchen before I got home.

Merry Christmas
CaiHong