Hey, gang!

Old 12-11-2011, 07:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Hey, gang!

Sorry to have been away for so long--missed ya!

I am happy to report that I am now OFFICIALLY unemployed--and in the best way. Just retired with a nice pension (though I'm looking for work, it's nice to be able to look for what I WANT to do, as opposed to what I HAVE to do).

I am ever so grateful to be fortunate enough to have benefits many don't have, and I am ESPECIALLY grateful to be sober. I remember when I actually dreaded three-day weekends because I knew what they would do to me. If I had gone into retirement as an active alcoholic, I don't think I would have lasted long.

Hope everyone here is doing well--and welcome to the new folks. There is hope!

Off to catch up with the posts...
Old 12-11-2011, 07:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Journey To Me

Congratulations on your retirement! Enjoy this time to explore the things that interest you the most.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Soooo glad to see you again even if you don't remember me; I was a lurker for so long but you and your posts have helped me plenty!!!

Working because you want to sounds wonderful! I hope you pursue a passion and fall in live with your new job when the time comes. But I'm even more happy that you know how to relax and enjoy... Thst's just as important!
Old 12-11-2011, 07:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Lilamy,

YOU, a LURKER??? Lol, not you, babe. I hate to break it to you, but you were using your "out loud" voice around here. And yeah, I like what you have to say.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Chaotically Peaceful

Lexie! Congratulations on your retirement! Wonderful news!
Old 12-11-2011, 08:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

Hey girl! So glad that all worked itself out! I've been away for a while too so it's good to see "familiar faces" along with the "new faces"

Don't get bored w your new retirement. Are you thinking of doing any volunteer work?
Old 12-11-2011, 08:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Right now I'm looking for something that will pay--I've got some debt I need to pare down. But I'm looking at non-profits that would pay less than half of what I was making--that's one of the beauties of the pension. I had one interview for what seemed like a "dream job", but it would have involved immediate relocation to the D.C. area, and I wasn't too crushed not to get it, since the thought of packing up immediately before I've had a chance to catch my breath was less than appealing.

I've already applied for something similar, though (also in D.C.)--heck, I think it's encouraging that in the past few weeks I've already found some opportunities along the lines of what I want to do. When the right thing comes along, I'll get it.

Meantime, I'm trying to get my own house in order (figuratively AND literally--I was making such a big push at the end that just cleaning up around here may take a couple of months).
Old 12-11-2011, 08:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Hey, Lexie! So good to see you again. Congrats on retirement! You have been missed around here. I was just thinking of you the other day. Glad you're back!
Old 12-11-2011, 08:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome back Lexie.

All your bases are belong to us.

What else needs to be said?

Your friend,
Old 12-11-2011, 09:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

Seems D.C. is the place to be
Old 12-11-2011, 09:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A work in progress

No, no,

It's "All your BASE are belong to us."

Ha-ha-ha.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

(((Lexie))) - so glad to see you back AND with good news!! Totally cool that you can look for work you WANT to do

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-11-2011, 09:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am ever so grateful to be fortunate enough to have benefits many don't have, and I am ESPECIALLY grateful to be sober. I remember when I actually dreaded three-day weekends because I knew what they would do to me. If I had gone into retirement as an active alcoholic, I don't think I would have lasted long.
You just reminded me how fortunate I am (with disability and all my medical needs are assured thru the VA).

I am so glad you are back.

Beth
Old 12-11-2011, 09:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Retirement - awesome! Now comes the real fun, eh?! Congrats! And glad you are back...you've been missed.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Congrats Lexie! Same boat here but don't need to work. However I do need to get off my dead Axe and do something as I approach 60 next year! I agree though that it is nice to live/work on our own terms. I left my last position as Exec VP when the owner started pressuring me to take over for him as CEO/Pres. I told him two years ago he needed a younger one. I had already retired and have a pension so building that company up was my after retirement fun job. We parted friends but his last words to me were that what was happening was the problem with hiring people that don't have to work! What he didn't realize he was saying was he didn't like not being able to pressure folks to do what they didn't want to or take on more for less!
I didn't give notice I just told him I would have my desk cleared out and be gone in the morning.

I didn't appreciate an attempt to intimidate regardless of how flattering.

Just be aware that there will be folks, friends, co-workers, and most especially bosses and CEO/owners that will be a bit jealous and don't realize how much they depend on intimidation instead of leadership to get by.

Being where you are isn't just about being able to pick and choose where you work, but being able to pick and choose where you don't any more.

Once again welcome to the ranks of the re-tired!
Old 12-11-2011, 08:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Skipper

Well, *there* you are!! Nice to 'see' ya!
Old 12-12-2011, 05:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
No, no,

It's "All your BASE are belong to us."

Ha-ha-ha.

Oh Noooooooo!

My entire recovery was based on "All your bases are belong to us". It is the false Dharma! My enlightenment and recovery have just collapsed around me.

Codie relapse!

Aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh!

Must find someone I can cure.

I am so jealous of the retirement. Congratulations. Enjoy it as you deserve it.

Your friend,
Old 12-12-2011, 06:26 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

Plenty of work for lawyers down here in DC, that's for sure. Between 19st and Georgetown you cant walk 100ft without bumping into an office full. You would never be out of work unless it was your choice.

Good to see you back!
Old 12-12-2011, 04:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hey lexie! So nice to hear from you and congrats! on retirement... wish i join you but I got a few more years. Good luck with everything.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:48 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi Lexie and everybody

I have been away for several months also. It is good to be back in SR forums