Notices

New day I hope

Old 12-11-2011, 06:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New day I hope

I am desperate to stop drinking. I have stopped in the past for significant periods of time (during each pregnancy and then during breastfeeding) however, now that my children are older, I have become a habitual drinker that binges every night when my husband gets home. I suffer from anxiety and post traumatic stress, which leads to sleep deprivation, etc. I have been self-medicating with alcohol. I love my children more than anything on earth and want so deeply to be free from the drinking. I found this sight and am hoping I can find encouragement and direction in my journey. The holiday season is an incredibly difficult time to stop. I have several holiday parties during the next few weeks. Any suggestions?
Old 12-11-2011, 06:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family.:ghug3 It is hard to stop drinking but it can be done. If you've been drinking regularly for a while it might be a good idea to consult your doctor for help in getting safely and comfortably thru the withdrawals.

After that is done, it's important to have support in staying sober. There are many programs to support you in your sobriety, as well as counseling and other options. I'm staying sober with weekly sessions with my addiction counselor and daily visits to SR.

All the best to you.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome.

See a doctor first and be very, very honest as you will need their help later. Also if you don't want to drink, don't. Take away the triggers. Ask relatives to remove alcohol from the house. If that's impractical (as it was for me) don't go. That's right. Don't go. If you went to rehab over Christmas you wouldn't be there either, would you? It's your health and your life. And I am thinking a sober you would be an excellent present! Good luck.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi freefromit

have you seen a Dr about your anxiety and PTSD?
if not, or not recently, that might be a good place to start....

Alcohol's really not very effective in dealing with either - in fact it may just make things worse....

You'll fidn a lot support here, lots of people who've changed their lives. You can do it too

Welcome!
D
Old 12-11-2011, 07:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Freefromit -

We know what it's like to be caught in the vicious cycle of drinking. Admitting the problem and reaching out for support is a great first step.

Keep posting and reading - life can be good again!