Notices

I guess this should be in it's own thread

Old 12-10-2011, 08:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I guess this should be in it's own thread

Originally Posted by Drig View Post
I could have written that, it's almost like you get a perverse satisfaction from admitting to yourself that this is only goign to end up one way.

I was in a bar yesterday morning after work, reading a book about a recovering alcoholic, a guy who's middle class background was basically mine. I could relate, i saw so many parrallels with my own life, down to where we grew up and where we attended college, and then.. then i had a pint, i even made a joke about the book i was reading to the barman in the hope that he might actually get it, and suggest i not have that pint. But let's be honest hear, why should it be up to the barman to tell me not to drink, i'm 24, it's my life, it's about time i stopped being a participant and started living it.

er, i didn't mean for that ramble to happen! sorry.
I'm finished work in 3 hours, and am off for four days, decided i was going to go home to my parents, i had been looking up AA meetings where i live for the past "god knows how long" but always found an excuse, i just googled AA meetings for the county in which i'm from and by some ridiculous coincidence there's one tonight in the tiny little village where i'm from. What are the odds!

I guess it's a sign.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I experienced a few of those "serendipitous" moments in early sobriety, too. (Of course, they may have been there all along, had I been willing to see them!)

I don't currently attend AA, but did for years..... I felt at home with the people there, and I think one reason for that is because of the emphasis on honesty. Such a relief from the superficial rat race. I hope you go and check it out!

Welcome to the forum, by the way!
Old 12-10-2011, 09:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Drig!

I didn't read my book in a bar, but I certainly drank while reading books about quitting. You can do it!