Advice needed

Old 12-08-2011, 10:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Advice needed

I am new to posting, so please bear with me. I am a grandmother who has been dealing with addicts my whole life; this is why I do not drink or do drugs. I feel I am to the point I can recognize the difference between enabling and helping. My aunt asked and I agreed to allow my second cousing, my aunt's granddaughter to come live with me on her release from prison. I'll call my cousin K. K has two daughter's, 15 & 13 year old. The 15 year old lives with my aunt and the 13 yr old with the other grandparents. Two different dads. K had a child 1 1/2 year ago and gave it up for adoption. Her tubes were suppose to by tied, Dr. mistake and it was not done, so K is 29 weeks pregnant now. K has been sober since August. Meth is her choice of drugs. 17 years of use. Only front teeth in her mouth. She says she has seen the light and wants to remain sober. Dilemma, I like having her stay at the ranch, but I live in a remote area, don't have the money to pay her so she can pay her many fines, and cannot drive her to somewhere she could get a job (I'm 45 minutes from our mailbox). She needs a recovery home for pregnant women and wants to have her 15 year old with her, as the 15 year old is going down the same path as mom, and great grandmother, who's almost 80 and a beautiful person, cannot go through this again. Bridges burned with all other family members. I've tried to encourage K to find a place to go, but all she wants to do is sleep and eat. Do I find a place or make her do it? Does such a place exist? I could help with a program such as WINR with her first couple of months rent, but then it's up to her. What should I do? Help
Old 12-08-2011, 02:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

So glad you have found out site to reach out for help - but hate that you have so many affected by this disease ~

There are several members here dealing with similar situations that will be along to offer suggestions - so that you can decide what is best for you.

If she has been using while pregnant or just before getting pregnant ~ she may need extra medical care for detox and for the baby ~

There are many many addicts that I know that have said several times that "they have seen the light & want to remain sober" but what they say & what they are able to do is not always the same thing.

The majority of addicts need additional help to stop using ~

Hopefully you and she can partner together to make healthy decisions for her, the baby and for your household!

PINK HUGS & prayers for God's very best,
Rita
Old 12-08-2011, 07:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It sounds like being in your home may not be the best place for her. Is this something you really want to take on? You need to think about what is best for YOU, and then offer whatever you feel comfortable offering, which might just be a list of resources for people in her position.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Services and Shelters in Arizona Counties - HUD
Old 12-11-2011, 10:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

How long has she been with you?
Is she staying clean?