Notices

Day 11 and still having detox symptoms?

Old 12-08-2011, 06:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 11 and still having detox symptoms?

Hello SR! Today is day 11 and I feel great except for a few things. The last couple of mornings when I wake up I feel like I'm hung over for about the first ten minutes and I even have the cotton mouth feeling. Once I get up and get moving for the day I feel fine. I have also been feeling hot one minute cold the next then feel fine. Is some of this normal after 11 days in others experiences? Is it just my alcoholic brain playing out the same morning routines it has for so many years? My kids had been sick last week so the hot and cold feelings could be me just coming down with something. Which would be new to me because I wouldn't know the diference between being sick or just hung over.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lifesbeenablur View Post
Hello SR! Today is day 11 and I feel great except for a few things. The last couple of mornings when I wake up I feel like I'm hung over for about the first ten minutes and I even have the cotton mouth feeling. Once I get up and get moving for the day I feel fine. I have also been feeling hot one minute cold the next then feel fine. Is some of this normal after 11 days in others experiences? Is it just my alcoholic brain playing out the same morning routines it has for so many years? My kids had been sick last week so the hot and cold feelings could be me just coming down with something. Which would be new to me because I wouldn't know the diference between being sick or just hung over.
From my numerous experiences: the major physical symptoms go away after about 5 days with the exception of the shakes which have taken up to 10 days. "Brain fog" has taken up to 2 weeks to disappear. My pdoc who used to head up an addictions unit told me probably a month before everything disappeared. For me, about 2 weeks to start to feel "normal".

Then you get into PAWS "post acute withdrawal syndrome" which varies person to person and that's another lengthy subject. Luckily I have not experienced PAWS.

Just my experiences - hope this helps in some way.

RV
Old 12-08-2011, 08:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It took me about a month to get to feeling somewhat normal...I had a lot of undoing to do.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

About 3-4 week mark
Old 12-08-2011, 08:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For me the majority of physical symptoms were gone in about 5 days, but with lingering effects for about two weeks. It does keep getting better day by day, just hang in there.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah I also detoxed with librium and other assorted goodies and that could have been why it took me so long to clear up. I was glad to get that crap out of my system...But it probably saved my life to do it that way.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Lifes,
Do you smoke? If you do and still do and smoke more than a pack a day, there is a good chance that your "hangover" is from smoking. I used to DJ and one club demanded that we not smoke so I chewed nicorette that evening but still drank as I hired a designated driver/assistant for every gig.

I usually am very hung over and barely functional the next day. But the morning after the night I could not chain smoke, I felt almost normal as in no hangover a cup of coffee didn't cure.

Last year I quit smoking and drinking and had PAWS for six months. It was worth hanging in there. However if you are having scary withdrawal effects even up to several weeks after stopping see the docs immediately. But given the facts you are likely what you said. Just coming down with something.

Hang in there or hangover
Old 12-08-2011, 10:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was a binge drinker. I could take a lot of days off in between me drinking for days. So my detox didn't get bad till around day 10. I was throwing up, sweating, dizzy, couldn't sleep, having bad panic attacks. It got better around day 16, but then came back on and off over the last 6 months. I had found out that I was going through PAWS(Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome) It can affect you for up to 2 years. But that's not the same for everyone.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi lifesbeenablur

I agree it just may be something else - our immune system seems to take a battering in early recovery - but if you're concerned I recommend seeing a Dr

D
Old 12-08-2011, 07:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am 12 days sober and I am experiencing similar symptoms. Especially the hot cold cycles when i am sleeping. I am starting to dream again, very vivid and lucid. Pretty cool actually. I am also very irritable and tired all the time.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

I had the same symptoms which stopped by 60 days, then brain fog & memory/word retrieval problems. mostly settled, but at 6+ months I just lost my pen, found it holding up my hair-5 minutes later!

we do hurt our brains drinking!
Old 12-08-2011, 07:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yea, I keep losing my keys only to find that they are attached to my belt with a carbiner.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yep, or looking all over the house for my sunglasses until I pass a mirror and see they're on top of my head
Old 12-09-2011, 03:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I think your right sugerbear1. We do more damage to our brains than what I thought. Yesterday I was headed to a jobsite in the city. I sat at a stoplight and had to think hard about what way to go on a oneway street. Even though the sign was in front of me pointing to the right direction. It was kind of scary for me. Thank you everyone for your input. I am starting to tell myself that life will feel normal in a matter of months not weeks. Heres to another sober day!!