Notices

The joy of waking up!

Old 12-08-2011, 03:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The joy of waking up!

Both literally and figuratively. I am on Day 4. With the huge amoung I was drinking, what kept me from stopping was fear of withdrawals. I am doing fine.

This morning, I woke up after 8 hours of sleep (punctuated with one wake-up with a coughing toddler.) I feel rested, clear headed, and ready to face a daunting day at work. I have to lead a three hour session with executives, and I know I can handle it.

I have more time with my kids. I am present. I am more patient with my husband. I enjoy coffee for the taste, not merely as a necessary stimulate to counter the effects of the night before. I have lost two pounds.

Taking it day by day. Weekends are hard, but I feel confident. Blessings to all on this lovely morning. Sending positive energy and good vibes out there to this little online neighborhood. I could not have done this without this forum.

Will check in on my "class" after I complete the work day.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It is pretty nice...Isn't it?...Thanks for sharing that and have a safe, sane and sober day.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

the sunday before I stopped drinking

Had three beers at 9 am before a child's birthday party, because I was shaky
Had three glasses of champagne at the party
Two beers at home when they napped
Two glasses of red wine at dinner with my family
A beer before I went to bed.

That is 11 drinks for those keeping score at home. It was embarassing to type this. I am a mother of two. I need to be responsible. I was dying on the inside.

I wrote this, because it seemed a bit self congratulatory when I posted about my morning a few minutes ago. Just wanted to let others know that I was in deep trouble. Might still be, but I am working hard, doing right, and hopefully on the right path.

Keep on keepin on people.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 4! I was just thinking about the coffee thing this morning myself. It feels great to "want" some coffee in the morning and not "need" some coffee to help out the hangover!
Old 12-08-2011, 04:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Change. Yes it sounds like this is going to be a great change for you. I found the first few weeks very up and down emotionally but I was committed like you. Sounds like for the same reasons. I'm happy I'll be doing my 6 year olds party sober this year.

You're doing great and never be afraid to congratulate yourself. You deserve it!
Old 12-08-2011, 06:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

It's so nice to be able to wake up with a clear head and attack your day. It's also nice to not worry about how you're going to mask the alcohol on your breath from the night before (or from the early morning when you woke up). And it's good to take a shower before work instead of waking up late and having to rush in. Heck, it's good to make it to work. Seems I used to call in "sick" a lot more than I do these days.

In your last post you said, "Just wanted to let others know that I was in deep trouble. Might still be." Yep, I think that's valid. I'm in deep trouble every day. I know I'm only 1 drink away from jumping back on the Pain Train. We have to be diligent every single day, because that 1 slipup could lead to disaster.

Hope you have an awesome day. I know I will; I see no reason not to.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well done! I think most of us have the potential for trouble. I know I do. One slip-up and I could be dead, in a hospital, or in jail (all three were possibilities based on the amount I was drinking). Good luck today- Be proud.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

hard time tonight

great successful meeting, and I would normally reward myself with enjoying glasses of wine. I miss it.

Mom told me today how she got a few bottles of great red for Christmas Eve. I haven't told her I quit drinking.

I haven't mentioned that my brother died from alcohol after multiple seizures.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think, if alcohol was as central to your life as it was to mine, it will leave a void for a while.

It's ok to miss it, even grieve a little - so long as you remember it's best left in the past.
Drinking is really no reward.

Are you going to broach the subject with your mom before Xmas?

D
Old 12-08-2011, 07:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Isn't it great to not dread mornings?! I've been drinking so long, I forgot what it feels like to wake up tired...come to find out, waking up tired is really not that bad! A recent most sleep deprived sober morning is still so many times better than the most mild hangover.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

What I hated was the all day misery of a hangover but still doing the "hair of the dog" dance. Then drink enough to finally feel okay and it'll be a day two hangover...
Old 12-08-2011, 08:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

looking for a meeting

i need help this is my first day am i need ameeting spot near dolomite, alabama, some one please send me a list for a noon meeting tomorrow, i need that
Old 12-08-2011, 09:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Georgio, I sent you a pm as well in case you don't see this. I'm not from the area, but it looks like there's one tomorrow at noon:

Friday AA meetings in the Greater Birmingham Area

Other meetings might be closer to you. Good luck and let us know how it goes. You can do this!
Old 12-08-2011, 10:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Day 4 for me as well, I had been sober since Oct 21st and last Saturday I had one beer and before I could even realize, it was two then three, pocketed one for the road(not driving) and then continued drinking at each following destination.

This is the second time I've slipped up after going strong for about a month and half. But this time is different. I had always visited this site before just as a guest, but tonight when I signed up and typed in my sobriety date, it felt different than all the other times I had said I was done.

@Change4good it's only up from here.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

okplm, glad you joined us, and congrats on day 4!
Old 12-08-2011, 10:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks, I'm still getting the hang of the forums, but this really is a great place and I only wish I had joined sooner. Some of the threads like "What to expect when you quit" are simply amazing, extremely helpful and encouraging.