Notices

Anyone with tramadol experience?

Old 12-07-2011, 10:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone with tramadol experience?

Hello all:
As I am sure a lot of you have, I have searched thru many sites looking for help with my addiction to tramadol. However, the biggest problem I have encountered is that hardly any of these sites have very many, if any, people who have been addicted to this horrible med.
The worst part about this stuff, by the way, tramadol is generic for Ultram, is that the drug companies advertised it as not only non-narcotic but said that in trials there were very few cases of addiction. WRONG! It is now becoming more and more widely known that this drug is highly addictive and the truth behind it's properties are being revealed.
In addition, and I know this first hand, the withdrawal's from this stuff are so awful, I know-what w/d's aren't awful, that for me the fear of quiting is off the charts. I've heard people compare it to heroin w/d's. I've never done heroin so I don't know about that but if that is true, I pray for all trying to get off either.
So, here I am looking for anyone to please give me any guidance on weaning and what is the best things to take during that process. Some of you may have heard of the Thomas Recipe that include different vitamins and supplements to aid in combating many of the side effects of opiate w/d.
I've recently purchased all that is listed in this "recipe" which can primarily be found at GNC stores, and am going to embark on a weaning schedule of my own. I say my own because I've tried to tailor it to what my usage has been.
Again, if there is anyone that has been on this crap and knows my pain, please let me know. I am absolutely desperate to get off this stuff and would welcome anything anyone has on the subject of opiate w/d and successful weaning.
Thank you so much for reading my thread and I pray for any and all that are in a struggle with addiction and that somehow they can find the strength to beat it!
God Bless us all!
Thank you,
Lubon51
Old 12-07-2011, 10:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You can do this!

Hi Lubon! Welcome!
I too was put on Ultram because it was supposed to be non-addictive. However, not long after I started taking it, I found out through an addictionologist (psychiatrist that specializes in addiction) that my doctor was WRONG. Isn't that great that we can't trust our own doctors sometimes. I have a friend that successfully got off of it. I have been trying to get her to come here. Maybe if I tell her someone needs her help, she will come. I heard its harder than your standard opiate, but easier than some of the real heavy opiates or heroin. Personally, I think its all different for everyone. Heck, my own detox is different every time!
It sounds like you are well prepared. We are all here for you and I'm sure there will be others that can give you better info than I did. I seem to remember someone posting something about it the other day.
No worries. You are in great company.
Take one day at a time
Old 12-08-2011, 12:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Lubon, I've been taking tramadol on and off for several years, mixed in with abit of a codeine addiction!

Just wondering how many a day you are taking? I was taking upto around 8 a day on an empty stomach, mixed with some strong coffee and i would try and go about my day.
Since i knew eating food would absorb the tramadols and lesser their effect, I wouldnt eat hardly anything all day and deffo wouldnt eat any breakfast.

I know too well the withdrawl symptoms and when I was younger and had my first real 'binge' on them and then stopped dead in my tracks when I run out one day, I decided to take an overdose of paracetamol. I just thought i would be a little messed up, but it was because i was in one hell of a mess due to withdrawls.

Are there people you can confide in to help you through the tough times? I can guarantee you that the first 5 days are going to be hell, so you are doing the right thing in stocking up on vitamins etc.

If you are working or have a duty of care for someone, see if can get some time off. Get some good movies together, lots of healthy foods, loads of juice/water and some non addictive pain meds.

First thing that hits you (or did with me), is the MASSIVE lapse in energy, I could hardly move my arm and then the whole anxiety sets in, as well as insomnia.

Keep in there dude, I havent touched any for around 3 weeks now and Im actually getting somewhere with life for the first time in about a year.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Years ago I had taken Ultram on a daily basis..It was tough to come off of. On the days that I didn't take any (or rather when I ran out)-I would be on the couch unable to move. The withdrawls IMO are just like any opiate withdrawl. I have been addicted to Vicodin for years and can't see much difference betweeen the two, The only thing I did notice was the I was able to wean myself off of Ultram and I never could do that with Vicodin. With Ultram, I started counting exactly how many pills I was taking in a day and starting take one less. I did this for several days and when I started feeling withdrawls I would stop for a few days on the lesser amount I was taking. I finally got to zero over a few weeks and was fine. I wouldn't recommend stopping c/t, because the withdrawls are terrible. Good luck and let us know how you are doing.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi ~ I am 3 months clean of that horrible drug after taking it daily for 5 months 4-6 50mg a day. This drug is truly the devil. I quit cold turkey but I read after the fact that wasnt the brightest idea seeing as it cause seizures. Every where I read it said to taper off. My first two weeks were miserable. Anxiety overload. Three months later while I do feel better the anxiety lingers. I take a daily vitamin, b12, tyrosine and fishoil. My doc put me on an antianxiety med but Im done with pills. I'd becareful with whatever you take and check for interactions. The only thing i do take is ativan when a panic attack comes on strong and i cant breathe thru it. It's a battle. I will NEVER touch that evil drug again. Good luck and stay strong. If i can do it anyone can