Notices

New to SR, not to recovery

Old 12-07-2011, 03:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lightbulb New to SR, not to recovery

Just found this site last night while doing a search for sober activities in my area. Even after only browsing a little bit, I knew that this site would be helpful. I am a recovering crack cocaine addict. I struggled with my addiction for 3 years before the police ended my weekend binge by arresting me for 2 counts possesion, operating after revocation of license, and an OWI. After that, I successfully completed 1 year of sobriety. 2 weeks after that I relapsed. That began a 3 month string of relapses every other week. Now, I've been in an IOP (Intensive OutPatient Therapy) group that has been a God-send. I'm working on 30 days sober, (tomorrow is day 30) and have found a support group and the clinic hosting our IOP group has agreed to let us continue meeting in a closed group free of charge after our group sessions have ended. I'm glad to be sober again, but am having trouble finding sober people and places to go/things to do that don't revolve around getting tanked or messed up. If anybody has a suggestion, please, please, please let me know.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on your 30 days Pookie

As for things to do - you can always find sober people in NA and groups of that nature - there's a busy social life there as I understand it?

You can also try looking at your own interests and hobbies - maybe doing something you like to do will lead you to like minded people, where the focus would be the shared interest or hobby?

D
Old 12-07-2011, 05:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Pookie.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Pookie and congrats on 30 days!

I like Dee's idea of looking at what you enjoy doing and find ways of sharing that with others. Or try something new - take a class, train for a marathon, do some volunteer work. Even better, start your own group with those in your IOP class and and meet once a month, or plan activities together.

What did you do for entertainment during the year you were sober?
Old 12-07-2011, 06:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

also try cocaine anonymous!
Old 12-07-2011, 07:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the warm welcomes!

Artsoul - As a matter of fact, my IOP group has decided to meet once a week. The people in it are so supportive. Although I am the only cocaine addict in the group, we still have alot of similar experiences which makes it much easier to become tight within the group. I used to be an avid disc golfer (or frolf) but I live in WI so that is only available for half the year. And I recently found out that the local zoo lets you volunteer year round. I love animals, so I think I'll give that a try as well.

sugarbear - I was warned to try to stay away from NA and CA until I was more secure in my recovery. My counselors and my sponser spoke of dealers using the meetings to get new customers. Not sure if it's true, but I heard it from quite a few people at the AA meetings I've been to.