Notices

9 days down and a lifetime to go

Old 12-06-2011, 03:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

9 days down and a lifetime to go

Hello to all SR members. I have been reading your forums for about a year now. Your posts have helped inspire me to start working at my own sobriety. I have been a heavy drinker for the past 7 years. This is my 3rd try in the last year. My longest sober time was 3 weeks. Its crazy how the never ending cycle works. The detox is pure hell and during that time of detox I promise myself I will never pick up a drink again. I will never put myself though this hell again. Then for unknown reasons or I should say every reason in the world I pick that bottle up. After a couple of weeks of nothing to drink the first few beers give me that calm/buzzed relaxed feeling. A few months will pass and I'm right back to where I started. When I am at that stage I fear to not drink because I don't want to go through the hell of detox again. Anyways today is day 9 for me and I feel great. I find myself very distant from everybody around me but I'm sure it will pass. One day at a time I guess. I'm thankful for sites like SR to help keep me on track.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Welcome to SR and congratulations on 9 days!
Old 12-06-2011, 03:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR lifesbeenablur

SR really helped me stay focused when all those reasons came knockin' - I know you'll find help too

D
Old 12-06-2011, 04:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lifesbeenablur View Post
I find myself very distant from everybody around me but I'm sure it will pass.
First off...Congrats on 9 days...Thats' huge for someone like me. And yeah...Detox isn't much fun is it? It took me three times to figure out I didn't like it. I'm just trying to figure out what you mean by this line here. You see for me....everybody around me...I had to put as much distance from them as I could...And it's going to stay that way. Not talking about family...People or friends concerned with my well being, I'm talking about "friends" that watched me killing myself and were nowhere to be found when I almost succeeded. Sobriety is all about changing everything we do...Nothing changes, nothing changes. I had to start with my friends...Good luck to you. Do it for yourself.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you, and I'm glad you posted.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome life! I hope you can finally stop putting yourself through that torture. I remember it well - always clinging to the hope that somehow this time would be different. This time I'd stop at 2 drinks. It never happened once.

When I found SR I was drinking round the clock. That's where my addiction took me. I couldn't make a move without it in the end. I know you'll put a stop to it before it ever gets to that point - you sound determined. We're so glad you found us.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome and congrats on the nine days! That is HUGE. Those first 3 or 4 days are sheer hell. I, too, have put myself through that process more times than I can count.

I just keep pinching myself to remind myself that I am feeling back to normal and that it feels great.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone. Sapling- I find myself distant from my loved ones. It's like I have no emotions right now. I'm sure it will pass in time.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Early recovery can be a very 'bumpy road' emotionally for a while. Your body and brain are relearning how to function normally and it can be rough sometimes. It does get better tho, the longer you're sober. You'll find a lot of support here.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Every sober day is a victory, congrats on your 9 days.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lifesbeenablur View Post
Thank you everyone. Sapling- I find myself distant from my loved ones. It's like I have no emotions right now. I'm sure it will pass in time.
You'll be amazed at what a little sober time can do for you.
There are only two rules that you have to follow....1. Don't pick up a drink....and 2. Don't forget rule number 1.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Foo Fighter.

Just keep on keepin on. Sobriety is also addictive. Everything will get better from here on out. Welcome to real life.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congrats and glad you posted

Forgetting the hell of detox/withdrawal really is insane - I mean really, if you slam your hand in the car door you don't forget and think "oh I think I'll slam it again"
Old 12-06-2011, 08:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome and congrats on 9 days!

I was also pretty distant early on. I needed to relearn how to deal with my loved ones in a way that did not make me want to drink. Detachment gave me the time to figure that out