RAS (21) 6 months in recovery...

Old 12-06-2011, 09:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

RAS (21) 6 months in recovery...

It’s his longest period of recovery since he acquired his recovery skills in Aug 09.
His DOC was pretty much anything, but the Oxys and smoking heroin got the best of him.

He’s in his 4th and final month of an SLE program and plans to move in with a sober friend (3 yrs) at the end of the month. He found the SLE through friends at the AA meetings he attends. It was free for 3 months and he has to pay rent in the final month.

He did end up selling his old beater truck for a decent price and got a little Focus to save some gas $$.
He’s been working regularly and is looking at starting his EMT courses once he gets settled in his new place for a few months.

His leaving the SLE makes me a bit nervous as it has a rigid structure. (a meeting a day, house meetings 5x wk, curfews, chores etc). I do my best to resist urges to offer unsolicited advice or start awfulizing about what might happen.

I guess that’s why I still read these forums several times a week. I know that he could slip at any time and I need to be prepared to do my best to deal with it properly. Well, not “it”, but my reaction to “it”.

He’s doing really well and I hope it continues.
So for now, I will just enjoy the light from my brightest star…

Thanks everyone for the E, S & H.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I feel you completely! I have the same experience with my RASis. I just focus on appreciating each day I have with her sober, knowing it could change at any time, and that I have no control over it! Sendining good thoughts to you and your RAS!
Old 12-06-2011, 11:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great share! I also have a son who is recovering (new to his residential rehab, just at the 45 day mark) and he told me this is the longest he has been sober since high school. He was in jail for 4 months and kicked the physical addiction to Heroin, now working on the spiritual and psychological affects. I love the success you have shared, I hope that this great result is also something I can share in the future. I have detached and am allowing my 21 year old the ability to determine his own future. we get to see him on 12-8 for an open house, looking forward to a great visit!
Old 12-06-2011, 02:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing this because so often stories here are bleak ( true, but bleak) so something positive and upbeat is WONDERFUL. I hope he stays on this wonderful journey. Much love!