Notices

Had A Good Night - but today the deamon is back

Old 12-06-2011, 05:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Had A Good Night - but today the deamon is back

Felt like a peace fell over me.. I was out of my shame spiral and thinking positive. its only day.. I think three.. I am going to stop counting and just start thinking about tomorrow.. anyway the fact is that I finally started to feel better.. and was excited but this morning that dark cloud fell over again. I think that I am going to go back to the advice I got earlier and read my journal entries but I am going to start by writing down 5 positive things.. just feel as if I am concentrating on the negative.. anyone have any other ideas..
Old 12-06-2011, 05:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I struggle with depression so I know what you mean about the dark cloud...Right now I am just trying to remind myself that the negative thoughts are just thoughts, not reality, and I don't have to pay attention to them or believe them. It's my decision whether I choose into the darkness or try and view things in a more positive light.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Early recovery is tough. Sometime all I had to be grateful for was being sober. Life around me was crap, but I wasn't drinking.

Your "dark cloud" is not unusual. Your psyche has taken a beating because the alcohol and withdrawal brings with it all kinds of negative feeling. However, if you are in a black mood and think drinking will make it better...or if your feel so low you think, "I might as well drink," that is your addictive mind trying to get you to drink. Don't give it that victory. Bear through this.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have to be super careful about depression too.

I do two things. Each day, I write down 3 things to be grateful for, and also 3 things that I did well during the day. I am very hard on myself and it helps so much to do this.

Recovery isn't predictable so having a bad day is to be expected at times. Just remember that it will pass.