Notices

A few questions about recovery...

Old 12-05-2011, 04:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A few questions about recovery...

I'm new here and I'm not here to push AA....It is the program that I use and it works for me. I drank for 35 years, most of my life, and I tried different ways to stop. But alcohol had it's claws in me so bad....I had given up. I found something that worked if I put in the effort. I did. I'm happy...Five months sober...I'm grateful.

My question is for people that have tried other programs...I've seen quite a few listed here. What are they?...How long have you been sober? How have they worked for you? How do they work?

Recovery for me is not a game. My doctor told me....I either stop or I die....The sad part about that...Is I already knew that. I just couldn't do it alone. I'd love to hear what has worked for you?

Thanks.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Sapling!

I am closing in on 17 months. I tried for five years to get sober and never got more than a few days.

I credit my sobriety to God, Allan Carr, wonderful therapy, hard work and SR. I have no "program".

Congrats on getting sober
Old 12-05-2011, 06:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

You're right recovery is not a game.

I've been in recovery for more than 11 years. I use books and SR and work hard to maintain a balance in my life, which I believe is so important for recovery.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'll be sober two years this Thursday. I see my addiction counselor once a week and come here daily. There are many ways to stay sober.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I admire your strength. I don't think I could do this alone. God is is definetly the key for me. So you kind of use this site as a fellowship. You know it doesn't matter how you do recover....As long as you do it. My prayers are with you all. Life depending on alcohol.....Is not living.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Hi Sapling,

I do live by the AA program, but I also enjoy my experiences with gestalt therapy, friendships, family, sober fellowships. It's worked well for many years now, and I also agree that there is more than one path or journey in sobriety. To ourselves we must be true. It starts with ourselves.

Best.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't think anyone does this alone Sapling, regardless of how they come to recovery

I credit the wonderful community here - past and present members, whatever their method - with helping me not only save my life, but transform it

D
Old 12-05-2011, 01:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

What has worked for me this time is a strong fear for my life, a strong desire to quit, God, prayer, and SR.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

AA was there for me even though I had some issues with some parts of the program, at least as it was interpreted by some of the groups. But, having lived in a metropolitan area, there was a wide variety of groups available. I also profited from speakers' meetings and was greatly inspired by some of them. I found that recovery was possible for me only with the help of a group since this led to being honest with myself and to others, which I believe is essential to get out of denial. I have been sober for 23 years. Prior to that I spent 35 or more years going to various psychiatrists and counselors but had no long term success, other than a period of seven years, after which I relapsed and resumed drinking for 13 more years.

W.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hello

I am having some good success with a program called "Women for Sobriety".

This program has 13 statements and 6 levels of growth starting with acceptance and moving into new ways of thinking and being. It focuses on accepting your addiction and forming new thought patterns to remove negativity and roadblocks to sobriety, while letting go of the past and becoming a new person. It's called the "New Life" program. I've found it very helpful in moving forward in sobriety and letting go of guilt, shame and negativity.

ETA I am almost 3 months sober from a 3 year relapse after about 4 yrs of sobriety
Old 12-06-2011, 09:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hello Sapling Congratulations on your five months sober!

I'm like Dee - the community here (especially Dee himself in the beginning ), books, and the horrific memory of my last binge have done it for me. I haven't ruled out AA in the future for extra support.

Glad you are here with us.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks....I just like seeing people beat this horrific sickness...No matter how they do it.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
July 8, 2011

I used to say that the place I needed to be in order to find recovery is on my knees.....and I know that God has done for me what I can't do for myself. The funny thing is, I have found more God in meetings then in any church i have gone to (I've been to a few) I dont do meetings regularly, about 2-3 a week and I just started attending them the last month (I'm 5 months clean too) and suddenly things I heard before in meetings have started to make sense. congrats on 5 months! It is huge for me!

and what D said, reading books about addiction and recovery has help me A LOT!
Old 12-06-2011, 12:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I attend AA twice a week (Saturday's and Wednesdays), I meet with an addiction counselor every two weeks and I make sure I always have a book on hand regarding addictions. I have a nook so I can read anywhere without people knowing what I am reading. I hope this is enough. Day 20 for me
Old 12-06-2011, 01:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SaraMichelle View Post
I used to say that the place I needed to be in order to find recovery is on my knees.....and I know that God has done for me what I can't do for myself. The funny thing is, I have found more God in meetings then in any church i have gone to (I've been to a few) I dont do meetings regularly, about 2-3 a week and I just started attending them the last month (I'm 5 months clean too) and suddenly things I heard before in meetings have started to make sense. congrats on 5 months! It is huge for me!

and what D said, reading books about addiction and recovery has help me A LOT!
I find that to be so true....Something special about those meetings. Congrats to you too!...Coming up on a half a year...Never thought it was possible.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I was a 20 year daily drunk who is now very active in AA. I used to do meetings just Wednesday and Saturday, but then I found a good one on Fridays too. Then I found two really good ones on Monday night. And there is a great men's meeting daily in the morning that I only get to on when on vacation. I live in an urban area so there are many meetings to choose from, and I've found some great ones!

I still try to keep it down to 2-3 meetings a week because I work full time and have a family. I don't go because I feel like I have to, I really enjoy the fellowship of experience, strength, and hope. The my home group meeting is a very special place for me. I can see the miracle of recovery in myself and all around me. My comittment to service work in my home group helps me be responsible in obligations and to other people.

Recovery Rocks! Keep it up.
(10 months for me next week)
Old 12-07-2011, 01:32 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Awesome....I don't know why some people get it and some people don't. It is an amazing program.Congrats on 10 months.