Very concerned for my friend..please help!!

Old 12-04-2011, 04:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Very concerned for my friend..please help!!

I have a very close friend of 12 years who is a recovering alcoholic. She is not drinking again, but she is now addicted to Oxycontin and Vicodin. She was in a biking accidnet about 10 years ago and has a plate in her shoulder that has never healed properly. She is in chronic pain daily. On top of this her father recetnly passed away and her two daughters have left for college. She still has a 13 year old son living at home and she has basically withdrawn from everything. SHe was supposed to go with me and a few more of our girlfriends to dinner last night, but couldnt get out of bed. She sent me a text saying she is suffering from anxiety and depression, as well as menopause. She did not mention the drugs, but her husband told us she is addicted to them. Her husband is totally helpless and has no idea where to turn or what to do. We are in Southern California and she has Kaiser Permanente for insurance. Anyone have any advice we can give her husband or anything as friends we can do? Thanks so much...
Old 12-04-2011, 04:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
TMZ

Welcome,
You found a safe place to share and find support we help one another through this.
Have him check out this site, he might want to join. I also recommend him and you go to a Nar-anon meeting, it's a f2f support group for friends and family.

The A must want recovery for there selves, but we can start on our own recovery.

Others will be along soon with more help.
Read the stickies, and keep posting.
Be well,
Old 12-04-2011, 04:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

(((tvinton))) - welcome to SR! As ((TMZ)) mentioned, it must be the addict wanting recovery before it works. In addiction to being a codependent (in recovery) I'm also a recovering addict. No amount of love, cajoling, begging, threatening or anything else loved ones stopped me until I was ready to stop.

I also have loved ones who are addicts, and this forum has helped me, tremendously.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-04-2011, 05:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks u guys...I will definitely let her husband know about this site and will be looking for a local nar anon meeting. We need to start somewhere....it is so sad to watch her go through this. I think she feels that since she is not drinking again, that she is ok..Im not sure.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
TMZ

She will need NA or AA to help her but she will do it in her own time. It helps to lead by example. here is a link to help you find a group near you. Nar-Anon Groups

Sending you strength and prayers.