Turning Point

Old 12-03-2011, 12:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Turning Point

Today I officially made the hardest decision of my life. I have had no choice but to tell me addict brother that he is no longer welcome in my home or around my son (his godson). After 2 stints at detox and rehab he is using again. I have had my suspicions but he was recently arrested with a friend from HS and that kids girlfriend. The arrest was a fluke as the cops went to the hotel he was at looking for other people regarding a completely different situation and showed up at wrong room. They found a lot of needles and bags of heroin as well as cocaine and marijuana. My brother and the girl were arrested and released with summons as the friend from HS was the one who owned all of the drugs. He was charged with distribution. While my brother lucked out it was just more added to an already volatile situation for the family.

This site has really helped me in coping with everything. I have received so much positive feedback from people on how to handle things and the advice is very much appreciated. I love my brother and will continue to pray for him every night but until I am convinced he is 100% clean I will not enable him by being a supoortive shoulder.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

I believe that you have made the right decision. Honestly, to me, he would have to be working a strong recovery program and clean for a year or more B/4 I would open up heart or my door to him. This is not a short term fix.

Hugs heading your way...Dolly
Old 12-03-2011, 06:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

It was a hard decision to not allow my son in our home, too. But by the time I made it, it was the only logical decision. When he came to our home he stole or caused so much chaos that my home was no longer my 'safe" place.

Protecting yourself and your son against the actions of an active addict is a healthy decision and your safety must always come first.

Hugs
Old 12-04-2011, 10:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am sure it was a very hard decision, but a good one. Your son is lucky that you are able to be strong and make a decision to protect him from being exposed to someone who is using! As hard as it is, I hope you find some peace of mind in your decision. My thoughts are with you, your family, and your brother. Take care!
Old 12-04-2011, 04:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
TMZ

You did the right ting and I support you.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

TY all so much for your supportive words. Now if only I could get my parents on the same page. While they understand my decision I get the impression that they don't approve of it but I know I am not the one tearing the family apart. I just bought my mother Don't Let Your Kids Kill You: A Guide for Parents of Drug and Alcohol Addicted Children. I have heard a lot of good things about the book so I hope it helps her. My father on the other hand would not read it. His heart is too big to walk away and wouldn't want any literature that may sway him to do so.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have read that book about 10 times. It's my go to resource when I start thinking I'm not doing the right thing. Actually, think Im you going to open it up again right now.