Notices

Oxycotin and Lyrica

Old 12-03-2011, 08:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Oxycotin and Lyrica

Good morning or at least it is morning here in Durham, NC.

I have been taking by RX 60 mg oxycotin 3 times a day, 100 mg Lyrica AM and 200 mg PM, and 4 mg hydromorphone (Dilaudid) as needed for pain. I've been taking this level of meds for the last 2 1/2 months.

About 2 weeks ago I was taking the dilaudid every 3 hours (OK so it was closer to every 2 hours). As my pain levels decreased I have cut back to taking only 4 -6 mg of the dilaudid before and after, the becoming (TG) less painful dressing changes.

I saw my pain management doctor Thursday AM- I wanted off the lyrica since I have been having some pretty heavy side effects (I've gained 15-20 lbs of mostly water weight since I have not been eating, loss of the ability to concentrate, and hallucinations (Wednesday, there was an Old English Sheepdog sitting quite peacefully to my left while a school bus was to my right.). Instead of weaning me off the Lyrica she was more concerned about getting me off the oxycotin.

The doctor gave me a 9 day program to reduce my oxycotin from 60 mg 3 X a day to 40 mg 3X a day. After which she said I should start omitting the middle dose and then the AM dose and finally the PM dose. She did decrease the lyrica to 100 mg AM and PM.

The reason for me posting here is to find out if anyone has had trouble with withdrawl, at the levels of meds I have been taking. I started on the 9-Day program yesterday (Friday) and I didn't notice any symptoms of withdrawl other than having trouble sleeping last night which is not unusual. I was having a lot of pain last night because of my stupidity. I was given permission by my surgeon to put weight on what is left of my left foot. I've been hopping around on one leg for the last 3 weeks and I think I over did it. I haven't taken any dilaudid since I got up but the pain is getting a bit more than I can ignore so I may pop a dilaudid soon.

Thanks for any advise or insight into what I might have to face in getting off these meds.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Our story is almost identical! Two years ago I was prescribed almost the same exact script. 15mg Dilaudid 2x per day, 10mg perc 4x day, and amitriptaline. Yep, I had NO pain but dang it I gained almost 20 lbs in one month without changing my diet AND I was a walking feel good zombie.
I got off the amitriptalline almost immediately (side effect weight gain) and they put me on Cymbalta.... BAD IDEA for me! back to emotional zombie.
I went off my meds completely two months later and went through MASSIVE W/D!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Took me two weeks of HELL to do it. After two months of alternative therapy I felt so much pain that I went back to my pain mgm doc and he put me back on meds at a lower dose. That worked OK for a while and eventually I was back up to nearly the same doses as previously.
If you are not experiencing much W/D right now then good for you! But DO NOT expect that to happen the next time (in my experience). As time progresses, your brain and body is going to become more and more dependent on the meds. As it does, you can expect W/D at a greater degree.

I took myself off a coulpe of months ago and ended up having surgery. I'm now clean 9 days. Still have plenty of pain but I seeing clearly now.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the reply. I just want to know what I might be facing so I can start ramping up mentally to deal with it.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
FT

Hi FoxyFilly,
I was on doses like that postop after double knee replacements. Unfortunately, I kept taking the opiates after my pain level should have been manageable without them, ended up hooked on them, which led to a 2 year addiction. I'm glad to see you here, perhaps avoiding that.

I think you need to do what the pain doctor tells you to do. Surgical pain is real, and you have to medicate it. It gets better, though, and the opiate doses can be proportionately reduced as the pain level drops. At some point, you have to decide along with your doctors how much pain is acceptable pain for a quality of life, because a lot of us never get to be pain free with certain conditions. I have severe osteoarthritis, so I live with daily pain. I now do it without opiates, by choice.

I also was given Lyrica, which I could not tolerate either. It was way too strong in terms of side effects, just like you describe. I was switched to gabapentin, which is in the same family as Lyrica. It still has side effects, but they are fewer and lighter, and eventually with me the side effects went away. I am still on the gabapentin for pain, which those of you reading should know is a NON-narcotic. I'm now on a low dose once in the morning only.

You should be fine if you work this with your doctors. No one expects surgical patients to be "brave" and just endure severe pain. You don't have to do that, and you don't have to get addicted either. You will suffer some withdrawal effects from those doses, so expect it and get through it as best you can. Addiction is terrible, and you don't want to risk it. So, get your mind set to get through this. Take care on the weightbearing. It is usually prescribed "as tolerated", so don't do ANY more than that, while following the doctor's advice so you can get back on your feet.

Good luck! I hope you continue to let us know how you are doing.

FT
Old 12-03-2011, 11:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for your reply FailedTaper. I have peripheral artery disease I've had 5 hospital admissions and 3 surgeries since May the last amputated all the toes on my left foot. Hyperbaric treatments have increased the blood supply to my foot so that the doctors are hopeful that there is suffiecient blood supply for the wound left by the amputation to heal. I've got a long way to go but I think I've turned the corner and can see the finish line.

What I don't need is to be addicted to the pain meds along with everything else.

So far, no withdrawal symptoms but I expect they will come. Have I mentioned that I also quit smoking after 50 years of a pack a day. 15 Aug 2011 was my last cigarette. I'm puffing away on the e-cigarette now.

I'm taking it easy today after overdoing yesterday. My sister is coming over to change the dressing so I'll be premedicating (4 mg dilaudid) b/c dressing changes are always painful. The surgeon left an open wound (no flap) so the non-adhering dressing adheres and pulling that off hurts.

I'll be keeping posting

Foxy
Old 12-03-2011, 11:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

God bless ya! You must be going through quite an ordeal right now for sure.

Trust us when we tell you that the longer you use these medications, the worse coming off of them will be. Having first hand experience with Dilaudid, I can tell you that long term use of this particular drug can have some serious W/D.
I will tell you that your doctor will take care of you when the time comes. As a matter of fact, from what you said, he already has.

NOW, with that said - you are using this for LEGITIMATE PAIN!!!!!! You should absolutely speak to your doctor about coming down. DO NOT let us scare you about using this for your pain right now.
I took this medication for months and months so my story is a it different.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
MIND OF DESTRUCTIVE TASTE

Hi,

I am a chronic pain patient for several different conditions and have been prescribed many different meds over the past 5 years. It is complicated by the fact that I also am an addict. I've went c/t off of opiates so many times, I've literally lost count. The w/d's from these meds can be a nightmare but since you are tapering down, it will not be nearly as bad from my experience. I am now back on the right track and taking all my meds correctly (Fentanyl and Norco) and not abusing them. I have no choice because without these meds, I would not be able to walk/stand/function at all and I am only 28. Don't let the stories of w/d scare you, sounds like you have a good dr who is willing to work with you which is SO important! I wish you luck, keep us posted. Oh yeah, to answer your question, there are a lot of different w/d symptoms and everyone is different. From my experience (which has only been c/t for the most part) has been hot/cold flashes, fever, insomnia, RLS, high anxiety, "stomach issues" other than vomiting (that as well though), tremors, fast heartbeat, insane sweating, zero energy, incredible depression, etc etc etc. But weaning off as your dr. has prescribed should be real mild. I hope so

-Jess
Old 12-03-2011, 12:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for both of your replies. It is just so nice to be able to express my fears. I'm not married and my little sister and brother in law have been helping me. Poor Brenda has to come over day to change my dressing. I know it is an imposition but I'm having a little trouble accepting my toes are not there anymore-I can NOT look at it every time I've caught a glimpse it has turned my stomach besides being an awkward area to bandage.

So you can see why I can't talk to either of them, they are both having to do so much for me. It has been months that I've required almost daily help caring for my 4 dogs and 3 cats. I can not throw more at them- Always upbeat and appreciate amd I am apprecative.

It is nice to be able let it all hang out (I've dated myself with that one)

Foxy
Old 12-03-2011, 01:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
FT

Hey, better not start a "dating" competition! I might win!

FT
Old 12-03-2011, 01:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

FT-
You might not, especially if one goes by the age you feel when you first get out of bed in the morning!

Foxy
Old 12-03-2011, 01:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Foxy,
It sounds to me like you have a family that cares deeply for you. I can understand your hesitation to talk to them. I had/have the same issue speaking to my wife about my issues. You see, It was only 4 years ago when I was this 6'3 strong & indestructible guy from Tx who made a GREAT living.
Then I was the guy who addicted to pain killers.
Now I'm the 30 lbs overweight guy with back issues who has to stay home for the next few months while his wife runs off to work...

So yes, I believe I understand your embarrassment over the matter. Guess what though? You have someone who loves you dearly enough to do what they do and that says plenty in my book.