Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

December 2 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON

Old 12-01-2011, 11:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Present

December 2 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

When we’re at a meeting, the Al-Anon ideas seem so clear to us that we never doubt we can apply them to our daily living. But alas, the old thinking patterns take over and we have what corresponds in AA to a “slip” or a relapse. This is no reason to be discouraged.

If I look back on my pre-Al-Anon attitude, I can see how much I have learned, and how much of it I do remember to use in dealing with my everyday problems. Perfect mastery is too much for me to expect of myself; I will be patient.

TODAY’S REMINDER

If it isn’t easy for me to “see myself as others see me,” and to recognize how much progress I have made, all I need to do is to observe the improvement in others in my group. Even some that appeared to have “hopeless” problems make great strides in learning to detach from many of the harrowing episodes in the alcoholism. They recognize that their thinking and their actions were not always sane either. They use the Al-Anon program to restore themselves to a reasonable and serene frame of mind.

“Al-Anon doesn’t produce miracles overnight, but when we look back, we realize that a miracle is in the process of taking place.”