Notices

When I hurt, I think my pets hurt too!

Old 12-01-2011, 02:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When I hurt, I think my pets hurt too!

Ever realize that when you don't feel good, your pets know it!? I've been down the last few days and I think it's contagious! My puppy is sneezing and has poopy problems, and now one of my two cats has poopy issues as well! I'm surrounded! We have vet appointments tomorrow, but in the meantime, doing what I can to make them comfortable! Yet they only seem concerned with me! They are the best things in the world! I want to get better for them, if not for me!
Old 12-01-2011, 02:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you for taking care of your pets.

They deserve a sober Mom.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My pets are a big part of my life. Actually, they are my famiily. I have four cats and two dogs and I know they are really glad that I am sober now.....animals can sense peace/anxiety. Good for you for taking care of your pets!
Old 12-01-2011, 02:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am convinced our pets know so much more than most people realize. My home is filled with the love of my rescue dogs and I'm so thankful to be sober and able to give them the care they deserve

Last edited by MsJax; 12-01-2011 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-01-2011, 02:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Pets definitely sense things. I am convinced my dog reads my mind - All I have to do is think about going for a walk, and she gets all excited and runs to the door.

For runny pewps, make up some rice and mix with some soft food or some hamburger (cooked). It works quickly. Vet recommended.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Actually, and you may think me mad, which I probably am, but I believe my plants react to my moods, or maybe it's just a Zonker thing.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My 3 cats and dog definitely know when things are "off" for me. I've been suffering allergy problems, so has one of my cats. They just know, and are there with their unconditional love

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-01-2011, 03:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Originally Posted by MsJax View Post
I am convinced our pets know so much more than most people realize. My home is filled with the love of my rescue dogs and I'm so thankful to be sober and able to give them the care they deserve

My three dogs were (and still are) a huge reason to get and stay sober. At that time (two years ago) I still had my elderly beagirl and my diabetic boy and when I was drinking I wasn't giving them the care they needed, not really. Meals were often late, sometimes skipped, and diabetic boy's insulin wasn't as regular as it should have been.

When I got sober my dogs reflected it. They were happier and seemed healthier. Shiny happy doggies.

They are a huge part of my desire to live sober so I can give them the best of care. I've got two more rescues now, so have three dogs again, and it's so much fun now that I'm sober. I enjoy taking care of them and am rewarded for my sobriety by their happy faces.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sissy07 View Post
My pets are a big part of my life. Actually, they are my famiily. I have four cats and two dogs and I know they are really glad that I am sober now.....animals can sense peace/anxiety. Good for you for taking care of your pets!
I love your avatar. I have two dogs and a cat who are my family. I was thinking the other day that I was not taking good care of them when I was drinking. I was always out chasing the next high instead of being around to give them the love and attention they deserve. I know they are "just" animals but I feel horrible about how I treated them. I am glad they give me unconditional love and are just happy to have me back.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Pets definitely know whats up, in a way that a child might, since they don't have any built-in bias or prejudice. My little cat has been hiding under the bed for the two days since my last drunken idiocy. She finally came out this morning.

"You sure you're not drinking today?"

"OK, I'll be your friend again."

Old 12-01-2011, 07:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My dogs definitely were worried when I drank. They are happier and healthier today and i can give them the care they deserve. But I didn't get sober for them although I tried to. I had to get sober for me for it to work.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Oh...fastest way to fix runny poop ...add some pumpkin purée to the rice and chicken.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was just having an issue with my cavalier, as well. I know we just moved and I think he's having a hard time adjusting -its an adjustment for both of us. But yesterday he had the squirts and was doing the foam vomit thang. I gave him 1/2 pepto pill last night and this morning and he seems better. Still not quite his little ol' self.
He spent the day with me at work, the other day, and had his portraits done so I think he's been nervous over that, too.
They sure know when something is wrong. Luckily, I've only had him for 3 years so he hasn't been witness to much since I've been quit since Jan. But when I take him for walks he knows when I'm in my own head. A dangerous place, very dangerous place...think...think...think! LOL

I hope your babies will feel better soon. I know this is gross, but the first thing I do is check stool for worms when they don't feel well. At least that can be ruled out. Otherwise, they get some pepto. I usually fast my dog if he has the squirts then do the rice/chicken thang -if he seems hungry. Hopefully, its not a contagious intestinal virus. Keep us posted.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for all your replies! Both babies were seemingly better this am, solid poops and no sneezing, so I canceled the vet appointment. Will watch them closely over the weekend to make sure everythings okay. Funny, had I kept the appt. I wouldn't have made it to my 1st AA. mtg. I think they got better so I could try to get better!! lol My doggie had a mom sober enough to go get her a new bed and a BIG stuffed toy. the toy already has 3 holes... if the bed gets even a rip in it... back to blankets till she stops this destroying things. I was told her breed usually stops at 2 years... she's 10 months... oh, I have my hands full!
Old 12-02-2011, 05:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

This thread is heartwarming.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

What kind of pup do you have camillebelle? Just curious. =)
Old 12-07-2011, 04:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well, after 6 months sober I joined the world again and got a puppy, and yes he's affected by my moods just as I'm affected by his. Gratefully are moods are pretty damn good. My plants are jealous, however. My minature palm trees are sweaty and my Asparagus Fern is like a vegie.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:16 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

i sometimes felt like my dog, who i grew up with, was often sad due maybe to the fact that i was sad a lot. it made me feel guilty but i dont know how much of it was due to me and how much to her underactive thyroid which i had to give her medication for. even in the end she seemed always exited and happy when i came home and i felt the same way and i always felt better when she was near so i have to believe the feeling was mutual.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:36 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm more than confident my 3 cats are affected by my moods and if I'm sick they are always right by my side.

I'm SO thankful for being able to treat my furbabies better now that I'm sober!

Cute cat, Dreambig!