I feel so alone.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I feel so alone.

Help...My mother keeps telling me she doesn't want to live. She has been drinking and taking prescription drugs as long as my memory goes back. I have been battling alcoholism myself for thirty years. I was sober for two years and then had a bust but am sober today after four days without a drink. I am determined to stay sober, however, it such a huge battle. I am not in a relationship and whilst I am happy to be by myself I experience aloneness when trying to not take on board my mother's insults and threats that she is going to kill herself. It only takes a hysterical drunken call from her and I go back to that place of..."this is all tooo hard" Thanks: Just needed to go blahhhhh.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Dear mindfullysober,

First of all welcome to the SR family, second, you are not alone, if you need to talk I will be here for you, I am so glad you are not drinking today, keep up the good work.

I know what you are going through, my mother has been an alcoholic for almost my whole life, she has been hospitalized twice in the last 18 months for drinking related heart issues.

You have got to either ignore her comments or go no contact, you need to come to terms with the fact that her drinking is not your fault, and it is not in your control.

The hardest thing for me to do was just admit that I just could not change the situation no matter what I did, I finally just let go, it feels so much better.

If she calls threatenting to kill herself just call the police, maybe they can get her into a psychiatric facility on 72 hour observation.

Best of luck to you, if want to chat, vent, or just need a hug, let me know.

Bill
Old 12-01-2011, 11:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for your kind words and advice anvilhead...I have attended AA in previous times. I found it really really helpful. I am going to pick myself up, dust myself off, and get back there. In the meantime I am clinging on to my sobriety one day at a time.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's so helpful having kind people who get what it's like having a alcoholic family member sharing and caring. Thank you for your kind words and offer Willybluedog...it's your kind of understanding and sweet offers that helps us that are struggling to take the time to take a break from our despair and smile. Bless You.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hi mindfully!

You are absolutely not alone. You are among people who understand!

I'm attaching this link listing resources in Australia and NZ that was compiled by one of our moderators in Australia. It not only provides recovery resources, but also suicide hotline numbers.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post2273689

Congratulations on your sober days, I hope things will improve for your very soon!
Old 12-02-2011, 03:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you hydrogirl...fantastic resources....It's so good to know people care. Having grown up in a crazy, dysfunctional, abusive alcoholic environment...one gets used to giving. So nice to receive. Bless you.