Notices

4:30am is not time for dessert!

Old 11-30-2011, 10:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
FML

4:30am is not time for dessert!

Why is it that after one night of excessive drinking, I want to eat lots of junk for days afterward?

This never seems to fail.

Last night, or this morning at 4:30 rather, my toddler woke up. After I got her to go back asleep, I made my way to the kitchen.

For some reason, it seemed like a really good idea to enjoy some sweets. I ate a bisquit, some cookies, AND a piece of cheesecake. WTH?

I normally eat pretty healthy. After a night of drinking, it's like I seek out unealthy foods. It would seem that my body would crave nutritious foods after the trauma of the alcohol. Ive heard other people say they want to eat fast food and stuff like that the day after too. I'm not that into fast food, but I'll be damned if all the leftover Thanksgiving goodies I cooked haven't been disappearing quickly.

Anyway I probably gained over 5lbs in just 4 days after drinking, which has happened many times before and makes me feel like crap for the week it takes me to lose it. I didn't even weigh myself today and I'm trying not to get bummed out because I know I'll be saving calories by not drinking, and these junk food benders aren't going to happen anymore if I don't.
One thing to be excited about.

Still, it left me feeling yucky today and wondering what it is that causes people like me to want to eat like that after drinking. Wondering if it has something to do with sugar?

Today I didn't want anything to eat until just now I had a bowl of oatmeal. So I think I might be getting back into my normal eating habits. I have a lot more energy today also, obviously, I'm typing like a woodpecker.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It is not uncommon for the body to crave sugar when alcohol levels start to deplete - and can start as soon as 6 hours or so after the last drink. This is often magnified after detoxing off of alcohol. The reason is that the body uses and processes alcohol in much the same way as it does simple carbs (like sugar).
Old 11-30-2011, 12:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi FML, my first week off alcohol, I craved junk food and salty/greasy things, which I've always preferred over sweets for my pig-out foods.

Week 2 and beyond, it's been much, much easier to eat healthier. Main thing is I drink lots of water and tea (and coffee in the mornings). I bet you'll sort of even out as your body adjusts to The New Normal.

Wishing you well. I'm just over a month into this and enjoying the physical benefits very much.