Dont count your chickens

Old 12-09-2003, 01:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dont count your chickens

I just had to say things were quiet around here. Evidently that wasnt meant to be. Yesterday someone stole some of my big cast iron yard ornaments in broad daylight. Must have been watching me cause us retired people arent on a schedule. I was only gone about 1 & 1/2 hrs. I called the police but I doubt if Ill see any of it. Just wanted the neighbors to see the police car. Probably one of them. Who knows. Had to be someone who knew it was there cause you couldnt see it from the street.

This is the fourth time Ive had stuff stolen since Elvis went to jail. Three times here. All outside since I have a monitored security system on the house and barn. I sold the storage bldg after they cleaned that out. Evidently they dont like me. But they sure like my stuff. LOL.

Me and the dog and the snitty kitties are here all by ourselves so Ill have to be more alert when I go outside now. At 4:30 when it happened Im usually home. I guess its not safe even out in the country now.
Old 12-09-2003, 01:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

((((( Cecilia! ))))))

I don't care if its wicked, I hope they drop those big cast iron ornaments on their theiving feet! :saywhat?:

Extra hugs,
Smoke
Old 12-09-2003, 01:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
{tap}{tap}...Is this thing on?

C,

You get the "crappy neighbor" (and I use the term 'neighbor' very loosely for obvious reasons) award for having to put up with junk like this.

Sorry that you are having to deal with the neandrethals on your block. I have a few cretins in my neighborhood too. Have you ever thought of wiring up on of your "yard art" items to a 110v socket - it'd definitely give your "neighbors" a true dose of HOT FINGERS.

Peace for today,

Petunia
Old 12-09-2003, 02:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I guess I should take it as a compliment. If I didnt have neat sh*t, no one would want to steal it. LOL.

Smoke Im more wicked than you. One of the neighbors said it was a man. So I hope his HOO HOO's fall off. HEHEHE

Petunia

I have to be fair. Im not certain that it was a neighbor. But who ever it was had to be casing the place cause they did it the one time I was gone and the next door neighbor was gone too.
Old 12-09-2003, 03:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If I had the problem, I'd be setting-up a video camera or hooking a camera up to my computer. Don't know if it's practical for you or not, though.
Old 12-09-2003, 05:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thats an interesting thought. But all I have is WebTv. Used to have the whole shebang at work but I never got one for the house. All I do is look at stuff and send e-mail.

Ill do some web checking on video/survelance later. Kinda late now tho. Theyve gotten most of it already. LOL.

I shouldnt have told Elvis. Now hes ALL wound up. Giving me suggestions and telling me what to do as usual. LOL. I intend to be more alert but Im NOT hiding under the bed. Good Grief. I do have a monitored security system. And if they get past that I have a 357. LOL.

I dont think it was malicious. I think it was just plain old thievery. Somebody saw a way to make a fast buck. I think what bothers me is that this is the first time they actually came in the back yard. I thought my backyard was safe. I guess its not.

I dont let loosing "stuff" bother me unless I have sentimental attachments. These were just antiques we bought. Nothing I couldnt replace if I really wanted to. I got way too much "stuff" anyway. But Id prefer to thin it out myself thank you very much. LOL.
Old 12-09-2003, 05:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
No More Mrs. Nice Guy

AS I recall, we used to have a duck detective around. Perhaps he could be persuaded to be ON THE JOB and watch your home and stuff.

In the meantime, I hope the garden gnomes find those bad guys and kick 'em RIGHT in the shins.

O59
Old 12-09-2003, 06:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Cecelia,

I have heard the same stuff going on in my area...probably just kids.

The wiring thing sounds fun tho!

JT
Old 12-09-2003, 08:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Mental note.................. "Don't mess with Cecilia"

Just a straight video cam (or a big HUNGRY dog) would do the trick.

Best of luck.
Old 12-09-2003, 10:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thats right.
Dont mess with me. It wouldnt take much for me to snap. LOL.

I did find some interesting stuff tho. ADT has cameras that hook into the system and can be viewed on the tv and taped on the VCR. Who knew.
Old 12-10-2003, 11:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Responsible Girl

Somebody casing a house for iron lawn ornaments? What the heck is wrong with people?
Old 12-10-2003, 04:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Did some checking. It seems Ive been out of the loop for a while. Now days vintage cast iron garden stuff is VERY desirable to thieves. So is the stone stuff. Theres lots of articles on stuff being stolen. Theyve been hitting old graveyards pretty hard. Especially the little angel statues.

So I guess this was just plain old thievery. Not everything pertains to Elvis. LOL.