Notices

Group Stress In Rehab

Old 11-29-2011, 04:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Group Stress In Rehab

Things are getting out of control.

We have had some new people come on board who are hurting our little community. One guy who is in rehab for the 6th time wants to monopolize the entire sessions. There are others who need to speak too, and now they aren't getting enough time to bring up their issues. Said guy - who is also very negative and brings people down with the attitude that no one is going to make it and like him, will be back time and again - was absent today and in small group we voiced our concerns. One guy was so upset that yesterday he considered leaving. It was suggested that perhaps Mr. Negative needs more one-on-one counseling in order to meet his needs.

I thought I was the only one who felt uncomfortable. And Mr. Negative is not the only person bringing the community down. There's also Party Mom. the written assignments she shares are well thought out and brutally honest, but her attitude says otherwise. She talks of how much fun she had when she used and disrupts sessions with sidetalking, giggling, etc. She's loud and obnoxious. When someone is speaking and what they are saying is ermotionally heatbroken, Party Mom's actions are extremely inappropriate. This issue was discussed today as well, so I hope the staff does something to resolve it.

Has anyone else experienced situation like this in treatment or in recovery meetings? How was the situation handled?
Old 11-29-2011, 08:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

We were having a similar issue in my group. This guy would bring up all sorts of issues in our group. Everything from theological issues on society such as right vs. wrong, honesty. He would just go on and on, it seemed like thought process was never ending. The last time in our group he was being extremely cynical and seemed depressed and suicidal. It was beginning to bring down the morale of the group. No one wanted to talk after him. Anyway, I haven't seen him around group since then so I'm guessing someone had mentioned something
Old 11-29-2011, 08:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know this guy needs serious help, and while I think he needs the group atmosphere as much as anyone, he needs more one-on-one time if he's going to make it. It's a rather sobering fact that an average of 10% of the patients in one year don't.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Unfortunately, dealing in a group setting there are many personalitites and many problems and I know from my experience that I had to bite my tongue -alot. Maybe suggest to the counselor that everyone gets a time limit on random talk and then goes on to the next person so everyone gets a chance to speak.

I had a very outgoing gal in my group (ironically she had flaming red hair LOL) that would talk forever about her mother's problem, being in the hospital. I was truly sorry for her heartache but I think that group sessions should be about the group not random family members that have no bearing in the addiction at hand. That should be saved for her alone session.

We had a few (what I would consider) oddballs but they are there for the same reason and deserve the same chance. Its hard when personalities collide.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

We suffer from grave and emotional mental disorders. Some more than others.

That's the way I have to look at it sometimes. There are times during a drunk-a-log and someone rambling that I just want to get up and walk out. I just have to remember that some are farther down the ladder than me and maybe talking non stop is the only way to keep themselves clean.

I think the negativity will decrease when they truly want to live a sober lifestyle and follow a program that teaches them how to live again.