Notices

Professional Alcoholics

Old 11-29-2011, 03:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Professional Alcoholics

Over lunch today I had to watch a video with co-workers to get professional education credit. The topic of the seminar was something along the lines of conquering the pitfalls of our profession for a healthy and successful career, but it turned out to be about addiction, alcoholism and depression. Several people in my career field shared about their journeys with addiction and recovery. It felt almost like an AA meeting and I found it very inspirational. I started realizing I'm not alone in this, and that being an alcoholic doesn't have the stigma I once thought it did. (Or at least it shouldn't, and if it does, I want to not care about it as much as I care about my recovery).

I also felt very grateful that I got sober before my career and family/personal life totally fell apart (not that it didn't already experience a lot of damage... but at least it's still intact). Many people who shared had to have their professional licenses revoked or suspended and had to be part of a monitoring program before they could get them back. Many had to stop working or had their work affected very negatively. Some lost families. Some, like myself, didn't travel that far down the path, but their professional and personal lives still suffered as a result of alcoholism, and they lost things they could have otherwise "gained" if they weren't drinking/drugging. It was a great reminder of why I want to stay sober, and I am thankful to everyone who was part of the seminar/video.

I always thought I was part of a profession where 'everyone drinks' and so many people have alcohol problems, which is true, but I realized for the first time that it is not as 'acceptable' in my career as I thought it was, that it does get noticed and that there will be professional consequences if I don't stop (even more so than I've already experienced just internally), and that there is also a support network of people there to help and not judge. I am not ready to 'out' myself or be a part of the professional sobriety network but I feel good knowing it's there, and I do think maybe one day I will come forward and see if I can help other people in my profession as they have helped me today.

The only thing that is gnawing at me is that there was a guy who spoke about depression... he said there's no "cure" such as not drinking or ingesting a substance, that really medication and therapy are needed, and that if someone doesn't have the motivation to get better, the nature of depression is that that person just doesn't want to do anything. I can relate to that and have often thought I suffer from depression, and I am hoping that being sober will help me get out of that pattern but I sometimes lack motivation and wonder if sobriety is all I need or if I also need to have my depression addressed. I think that they both influence each other and I am hoping to be happier and healthier with sobriety and recovery, but maybe I have depression in addition to all of that that will require additional "treatment."

PS I realize the title of my thread is a double entendre, ha ha. But one of the women who spoke said that her own line of thinking that used to keep her drinking was, "Hey, I'm a professional, and I'm an alcoholic, so that's just who/how I am... I am able to keep it all together and under control, so I will just keep drinking as well as acheiving things at work." It made me think of the term "professional alcoholic" in a whole new light. I could relate to that former line of thinking. That woman is one who had to go up before a committee to be able to continue in the profession, so, obviously she wasn't as good at holding it all together as she thought. And neither was I! So I will remember her story if I think about drinking again.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can relate so much. I Beat myself up all the time as I truly believe "Its just that sort of thinking that go you into this mess" attitude and hope to pool whats left and have a different take.

PS I realize the title of my thread is a double entendre, ha ha. But one of the women who spoke said that her own line of thinking that used to keep her drinking was, "Hey, I'm a professional, and I'm an alcoholic, so that's just who/how I am... I am able to keep it all together and under control, so I will just keep drinking as well as acheiving things at work." It made me think of the term "professional alcoholic" in a whole new light. I could relate to that former line of thinking. That woman is one who had to go up before a committee to be able to continue in the profession, so, obviously she wasn't as good at holding it all together as she thought. And neither was I! So I will remember her story if I think about drinking again.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

most alcoholics are delusional while having untreated alcoholism, it's part of rationalizing they "aren't that bad," yet
Old 11-29-2011, 05:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post Pigtails. Although I am not in a 'profession' just yet I can relate to tremendously. As of right now I am just finishing my degree, working full time, and volunteering. All in all, I considered myself functional member of society and I used that negative stigma surrounding the term 'alcoholic' to allowed me to justify my alcoholism. I was able to fulfill all of my duties and obligations even though I had been drinking the entire way through. And like you said, I'm sure there were at least a few people who caught on to exactly what I was doing.

A few AA meetings ago I had the opportunity to seat at a table with an engineer, a geriatric pyschologist and a surgeon. It really opened my eyes to how this disease affects many people from different social and economical backgrounds. I believe that old stigma of word 'alcoholic' has been erased and society is beginning to learn that this disease is a lot more prevalent then we had first thought.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great to hear you had such a positive experience today.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

"Professional alcoholics" are often found in the legal profession, the medical profession, in the arts and in the construction industry. Fortunately (and unfortunately), a number of these groups have assistance programs available to their members. Based upon the experience of a family member who went through an alternative program, I would not want to be involved in a professional monitoring program. It saved my family member's career, profession and life and the program itself was expensive, inconvenient, and humiliating. There was no confidentiality -- participation in the program was a matter of public record and was published to in the professional newsletter to nearly 200,000 other professionals. Perhaps your profession is different (i.e., dignity, confidentiality), Pigtail, but if it were me, I would avoid being involved in a monitoring program at all costs. That would be an absolute last resort.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=susanlauren;3188363 Pigtail, but if it were me, I would avoid being involved in a monitoring program at all costs. That would be an absolute last resort.[/QUOTE]

One more good reason to quit and stay quit!
Old 11-29-2011, 08:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Originally Posted by Pigtails View Post

The only thing that is gnawing at me is that there was a guy who spoke about depression... he said there's no "cure" such as not drinking or ingesting a substance, that really medication and therapy are needed, and that if someone doesn't have the motivation to get better, the nature of depression is that that person just doesn't want to do anything. I can relate to that and have often thought I suffer from depression, and I am hoping that being sober will help me get out of that pattern but I sometimes lack motivation and wonder if sobriety is all I need or if I also need to have my depression addressed. I think that they both influence each other and I am hoping to be happier and healthier with sobriety and recovery, but maybe I have depression in addition to all of that that will require additional "treatment."
You are in counseling though, right?

Keep in mind that this was just his opinion and your milage may vary. It's so easy to be concerned about stuff like this in early sobriety, but don't fret about it. Your only concern right now is keeping yourself sober. Once you have some time under your belt you can start to address any depression that hasn't been lifted.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

ditto that!

I'm also in a profession where drinking is rampant - or at least rampant around me! I nearly lost it all a year ago because of my tardiness, absenteeism, and the fact that I always smelled of booze (from the night before). My company saw either too much investment or too much potential to give me the ax when they had every right. It would have been the likely end of my career at that point. But then, I would likely have been dead by now anyway.

Here's to a happy life!
Old 11-30-2011, 12:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
instant

Pigtails

I was always sucked in by being "high functioning" and never being called in my career. At home I was the elephant in the room, but didn't want to change. Now I am over six months sober I am starting to see how much more is achievable sober in so may domains of my existence and how much time and opportunity I have squandered.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Hi Pigtails...I really enjoy your posts and are glad you are on SR. Thanks.

I am a professional and an alcoholic/addict as well. And, I am also a licensed individual in my career, although I suspect its a different field than yourself.

What caught my attention was your comments with regard to the fellow who was depressed and was remiss that "there is no cure" for depression. What I heard was that this triggered a question from you about whether you suffer depression. It would surprise me if you, or any of us going through early sobriety, did not. I assimilate our journey to one who is going through the stages of grief. I think depression-like feelings will prevail. Although I don't agree that there is no cure, I have suffered depression at times throughout my life; most are associated with my addictions. I've also been assessed as having SAD, or seasonal affective disorder. In my part of the world, we are in the season of onset for that to trigger. However, I have been less affected by it this year than in years past. I believe its because I'm not adding fuel to the fire in the form of the depressant alcohol.

Once we are through the acute withdrawal phase, there is a syndrome called PAWS - post acute withdrawal syndrome - that can affect us intermittently for years. I recently read an article on the syndrome that leads me to believe I am experiencing it. Before you resolve to consider yourself depressed, I'd consider whether the transient effects of PAWS might be at play. Google PAWS, it might explain a bit.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by StPeteGrad View Post
ditto that!

I'm also in a profession where drinking is rampant - or at least rampant around me! I nearly lost it all a year ago because of my tardiness, absenteeism, and the fact that I always smelled of booze (from the night before). My company saw either too much investment or too much potential to give me the ax when they had every right. It would have been the likely end of my career at that point. But then, I would likely have been dead by now anyway.

Here's to a happy life!
This is exactly the situation I am / was in about a month ago. My employer would have every right to let me go, but I know too much about the system and they've spent too much money to let me go, short of me coming in armed to the teeth.

Knowing I have / had that kind of security led me to do some really really stupid things, that I definitely regret, but I have realized the error of my ways.

Let me tell you... sober and not hungover I have seen my performance increase dramatically. You don't realize the things your coworkers actually notice until you're sober lol.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ksquared87 View Post
Thanks for the post Pigtails. Although I am not in a 'profession' just yet I can relate to tremendously. As of right now I am just finishing my degree, working full time, and volunteering. All in all, I considered myself functional member of society and I used that negative stigma surrounding the term 'alcoholic' to allowed me to justify my alcoholism. I was able to fulfill all of my duties and obligations even though I had been drinking the entire way through. And like you said, I'm sure there were at least a few people who caught on to exactly what I was doing.

A few AA meetings ago I had the opportunity to seat at a table with an engineer, a geriatric pyschologist and a surgeon. It really opened my eyes to how this disease affects many people from different social and economical backgrounds. I believe that old stigma of word 'alcoholic' has been erased and society is beginning to learn that this disease is a lot more prevalent then we had first thought.
Thank you for this helpful post. It's awesome you are sober before starting out in your career. Good for you, I wish I could have done the same. I didn't even really recognize I had a problem when I was in graduate school. I thought it was a temporary phase I was in to combat my loneliness and depression. The problem was, the loneliness and depression didn't go away, and my only way of coping with it was drinking, so it just got worse and worse over time. I wonder what my career would be like if I hadn't been drinking, or even if I would be in this career. I suppose I'll find out now that I'm sober! I look forward to seeing what happens with sobriety in my career, and commend you for addressing this now instead of later.

I too am amazed at the different walks of life represented in AA meetings. When I first walked in I thought people would think I didn't belong there (or that I would think that) because I was dressed in a suit and pearls, and my idea of people who went to AA were street bums. I was surprised to see many people just like me. And I had also been hanging out with some real party types, less "distingushed" people, who liked to drink just like me-- and saw some people from the party lifestyle at AA meetings too-- so I wondered what my image even WAS, or where I "belonged." Now I just feel oddly comforted by reminding myself that alcoholism affects people of every class, status, social standing, financial position, gender, race, creed... it is an equal opportunity destroyer! It's sad that that's the case but it also feels good to know I belong somewhere, and fit in just fine, and that we are all in this recovery thing together.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by susanlauren View Post
"Professional alcoholics" are often found in the legal profession, the medical profession, in the arts and in the construction industry. Fortunately (and unfortunately), a number of these groups have assistance programs available to their members. Based upon the experience of a family member who went through an alternative program, I would not want to be involved in a professional monitoring program. It saved my family member's career, profession and life and the program itself was expensive, inconvenient, and humiliating. There was no confidentiality -- participation in the program was a matter of public record and was published to in the professional newsletter to nearly 200,000 other professionals. Perhaps your profession is different (i.e., dignity, confidentiality), Pigtail, but if it were me, I would avoid being involved in a monitoring program at all costs. That would be an absolute last resort.
It sounds like you are describing the program that put on this seminar-- an assistance program for people in my profession. I had heard of it before but didn't realize what exactly it was. I thought that if someone in my profession thought they were having an alcohol program, they could call into the hotline and be put in touch with other recovering folks in the profession, and be told where the AA meetings are, etc. Well, this is true, but it's more than that. Someone can call the hotline for ANYONE in our profession and express concern about suspicions of alcoholism/addiction. For instance, this person smelled of booze at a 9:30 am meeting, this person was late in finishing a project and it affected the client, etc. The program committee then decides what to do-- often it's an intervention, or sometimes just a call or a letter to the person saying someone else expressed concern and they're there if they need them, or sometimes the matter is so serious that discliplinary proceedings are brought against the person to decide whether they can continue on in our profession and under what conditions.

The monitoring program is not voluntary but is part of last resort methods to allow that person to be able to stay in our profession. If they messed up big and affected clients, or did something fraudulent like steal clients' money, then they can be banned from the profession and only allowed back in if they petition the right committees and show proof of recovery/sobriety, and agree to a monitoring program with random drug tests and breathalyzers etc.

I understand what you mean about lack of confidentiality and it being a humiliating experience. I had questions about anonymity and privacy in my head while listening to distinguished members of my profession talk about how part of their job is to identify and help other people who are struggling with addiction. On the other hand, many of these same people say they were saved by the assistance program. One person had gone back out and said that if it weren't for a random test he was called in for as part of the monitoring program, he probably would have died.

So I guess I have mixed feelings about it although I am thankful I found recovery on my own. I think a lot of people in my profession (including me) have ego/image problems and we allow ourselves to think everything's okay because we are "successful" and have powerful jobs. We are able to lead double lives very successfully. Maybe the only time some people hit bottom is if it is forced on them externally and if they see their career--which is their number one safety blanket or identiy--threatened. We also have very serious ethical obligations that are breached just by the nature of being under the influence, which can cause us to do things that further breach ethics and blur the lines, but we often get away with it because of our positions. So from a standpoint of protecting the public and the integrity of the profession, I see why the program exists.

I agree it would be my last resort and I am very glad I have not had to have any interaction with them. In fact when I went to, like, my third AA meeting there was someone there who identified herself as being in my profession while she shared. Then afterwards she came up to me and if I was in the same profession and said she had thought so, and that she can hook me up with a meeting that is for people in our profession. I said "No thanks, I'm not ready for that right now." Right not my anonymity is important to me. Maybe someday in the future I will want to help others by sharing my experience, and I won't be so embarrassed--the fear of stigma has definitely been lifted for me as I realize this is a disease, nor some moral failing--but right now my very biggest fear would be to be in a room full of others in my profession! I have issues with my profession and some of the "types" of people who seem to grativate to it as it is, and for my recovery is very separate from my profession, and I'd like to keep it that way for quite some time. (I understand I have over-lapping issues, but to me my recovery is a large umbrella over everything else in my life, including the "job/career" category).
Old 11-30-2011, 09:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EmeraldRose View Post
One more good reason to quit and stay quit!
Amen to that!
Old 11-30-2011, 09:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by eJoshua View Post
You are in counseling though, right?

Keep in mind that this was just his opinion and your milage may vary. It's so easy to be concerned about stuff like this in early sobriety, but don't fret about it. Your only concern right now is keeping yourself sober. Once you have some time under your belt you can start to address any depression that hasn't been lifted.
Yes, I am in counseling and right not my therapist has been trying to give me practical tips/tools to combat my anxiety, and I guess the other side of that coin is depression. I am not exactly sure what all my issues are or how much if at all they relate to alcoholism. I am perhaps a bit naive in thinking that if I focus on recovery, my other "crazy" issues will go away with time. If not, you're right, I can address whatever is lingering later. Thanks.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:50 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LoftyIdeals View Post
Hi Pigtails...I really enjoy your posts and are glad you are on SR. Thanks.

I am a professional and an alcoholic/addict as well. And, I am also a licensed individual in my career, although I suspect its a different field than yourself.

What caught my attention was your comments with regard to the fellow who was depressed and was remiss that "there is no cure" for depression. What I heard was that this triggered a question from you about whether you suffer depression. It would surprise me if you, or any of us going through early sobriety, did not. I assimilate our journey to one who is going through the stages of grief. I think depression-like feelings will prevail. Although I don't agree that there is no cure, I have suffered depression at times throughout my life; most are associated with my addictions. I've also been assessed as having SAD, or seasonal affective disorder. In my part of the world, we are in the season of onset for that to trigger. However, I have been less affected by it this year than in years past. I believe its because I'm not adding fuel to the fire in the form of the depressant alcohol.

Once we are through the acute withdrawal phase, there is a syndrome called PAWS - post acute withdrawal syndrome - that can affect us intermittently for years. I recently read an article on the syndrome that leads me to believe I am experiencing it. Before you resolve to consider yourself depressed, I'd consider whether the transient effects of PAWS might be at play. Google PAWS, it might explain a bit.
Thanks for the helpful advice. It's rather depressing that there doesn't seem to be a cure for PAWS!!! But at least it does give me an explanation, and, you're right, I think a lot of it is related to drinking. Yes, I had issues with anxiety and depression in the past, and I have a family history of depression and mental illness, but alcohol was definitely the wrong way to deal with it! I need to totally re-adjust to life without alcohol before I can even begin to guess what is wrong with me WITHOUT alcohol.

Thanks for the compliments, I'm glad my posts help you, good luck and stay strong.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:52 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

I am very glad yet one more person has walked into the rooms. And smashed their ideas of what and who is in the rooms of AA.

Welcome to seeing the whole world eyes wide open.

Good love, Inda
Old 11-30-2011, 09:58 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Programmer27 View Post
This is exactly the situation I am / was in about a month ago. My employer would have every right to let me go, but I know too much about the system and they've spent too much money to let me go, short of me coming in armed to the teeth.

Knowing I have / had that kind of security led me to do some really really stupid things, that I definitely regret, but I have realized the error of my ways.

Let me tell you... sober and not hungover I have seen my performance increase dramatically. You don't realize the things your coworkers actually notice until you're sober lol.
Thank you Programmer and StPeteGrad for these thoughts. Somehow I have always managed to hold my career together and be quite "successful" on the outside even though inside I was a mess. I could get away with so much because I was smart and clever. It is no way to live. I was cheating myself and everyone.

Everything spiraled out of control for me a bit over a year ago and I took a break and went home to my family for awhile. I contemplated giving up my career completely and doing something that felt better suited to me. I was tired of living a lie and not being myself. I had also gotten myself into some trouble by being self-destructive... not with my career, but with relationships, and my career was affected.

I didn't know what to do, but I needed a paycheck and was afraid to change everything, so I came back and started my current job. The stupid thing is that from the beginning I was never too into the job. It was easy to get because I have a good resume and knew my current boss from my last job, and they were eager to have me. So I kind of intentionally planned to ride the "good reputation" wave and have easier hours and work (that was one of the things that appealed to me about the job) while I figured out what exactly I wanted to do with myself. Looking back, that's no way to go about securing a job, or at least not for me... I feel I need to be connected to, in some ways passionate about, what I do, and here I was just intentionally floating along disconnected while I looked over here, over there to find something else to do that would make me "happier."

Now I realize that happiness comes from within. However, I also realized quite awhile ago that there is a better field within the same profession for me, and I really want to make the leap, but it's scary. So I'm in this strange holding pattern of working here because, like you guys said, it's cheaper for them to keep me and they KNOW I have all this potential I'm not using, but they're scratching their heads thinking "What is UP with her and what should we do about it?!", and I'm over here waiting for some magic moment where I can feel okay about jumping ship. I just saw an ad for a job opportunity that seems great for me and is in line with what I've decided I want to do, and I think I will be able to invest myself whole-heartedly in such a job (it's more of my own business but connected to someone else's, which would be a nice transition period and offer a bit more security than just jumping out on my own). I am really hoping it's my higher power giving me a nudge in the right direction, finally. If not, I'm not quite sure what I'll do because my ticket is up and I am tired of riding along on my smarts and good reputation when my heart just isn't in it. I'm tired of being fake and pretending.

Sorry for rambling so much and going a bit off-topic but I was sparked with a lot of thoughts by both of your posts.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:14 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Great post and sharing and insights, many thanks to Pigtails for starting this thread.

I am almost 9 months sober (tomorrow!) and am just realizing how delayed and atrophied my "success" muscles truly are. I am taking and making the steps to truly become a successful person, inside and out. I started off thinking how lucky I was to be "so high functioning." Turns out I wasn't, really, I've just been coping and been lucky.

On depression, I waited until I was 6 months sober and realized that even with a very intense self-care program (excellent nutrition, plenty of exercise), that I felt terrible. I had been hoping that sobriety would lift my anxiety and depression. It didn't. I saw my doctor and talked to her.

Depression for me is like riding a bike with flat tires. I can grit it out and get there but it's exhausting.

Coming out of depression is like getting air in my tires.

Great to have you here Pigtails!