Notices

Withdrawal - seeing creepy looking things

Old 11-29-2011, 02:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Withdrawal - seeing creepy looking things

Is this even a normal withdrawal symptom? I'm 2 days sober and when I closed my eyes to try to sleep last night, some really hellish looking creatures formed in my sight. I feel like I'm sounding like a little kid right now...seeing scary monsters....but it's pretty weird. Also had some bad nightmares.

I guess the good thing is the shakes are finally disappearing hour by hour. It wasn't fun today sitting in the office and feeling my hands shake, body jittery. I even felt like my eyeballs were buzzing.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Many people have had a similar experience, a meeting with your doctor is always a good start too ;-)

This thread will help you http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Take Care
Old 11-29-2011, 03:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

I was hearing strange things the first week (or so), also seeing bad stuff when trying to get to sleep. Thank goodness that went away pretty quick and I only get that if I stay awake for a long time.
Best wishes on your recovery, it is all worth it.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It sounds like the (DT's) Delerium tremens.

Christy Moore has a song about it, he's a recovering alcoholic, find it on you tube
Old 11-29-2011, 03:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mwstylee View Post
Is this even a normal withdrawal symptom? I'm 2 days sober and when I closed my eyes to try to sleep last night, some really hellish looking creatures formed in my sight. I feel like I'm sounding like a little kid right now...seeing scary monsters....but it's pretty weird. Also had some bad nightmares.

I guess the good thing is the shakes are finally disappearing hour by hour. It wasn't fun today sitting in the office and feeling my hands shake, body jittery. I even felt like my eyeballs were buzzing.
Oh man, I am having similar experiences. It's really scary. I get palpitations and the "shakes". Yesterday I was cold sweating alot, not as much today... I now realise that I have been going through this for years. My wife recently moved (not because of my drinking) so I currently live alone. I feel like a kid that wake up with bad dreams because I am alone. The other thing is the color of my urine and the dry mouth that lasts for days... OMG this is so depressing.... How did I reach to this?

I hope your symptoms disappear son, and you grow from strength to strength..
Old 11-29-2011, 03:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Be Careful or just call Medical...you will know. I am 36 Hrs Sober and the Audio phantoms along with the Shakes have all ready started. I have not gone longer then 72 Hours personally. The insomnia and Dreams are the worst. Just Breathe. I am fighting a good fight right with you.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Insomnia? I had that for the first six months. The first month was really rough. I also had that experiences daily where you think you saw something out of the corner of your eye but there was nothing there. However I was 58 when i quit last year, and like everything else at my age it takes three times as long for sprains and tears to heal as when I was 30. Probably the same with sobriety and Post Acute Withdrawal. I hope you quit before my age, heal fast, and no leftovers when you're done.

Remember if it was easy we'd not be here would we?
Old 11-29-2011, 04:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The first week I stopped drinking I saw terrible things too.....crawling up the walls. I also remember having a hard time telling if people were really in the room with me or not. The shakes and the sweating.....WOW! I would have to put towels down on the bed when I would try to sleep, I would sweat so much.

But I made it through. Today I am 29 days sober. Just a start to the rest of my life but SOOOO much better than that first week. Hang in there...things only get better from here!
Old 11-29-2011, 04:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please do see a Dr guys - speaking as someone who's still suffering the legacy of my last
detox nearly 5 years ago, detox is really nothing to brush off.

D
Old 11-29-2011, 04:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
- Motivated -

I've had this numerous times while detoxing. It's pretty creepy and I didn't sleep for 4-5 days. It's rough.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've had numerous encounters with this feeling after many of my binges. Through some serious trial and error, the thing that straightened me out quicker than anything was a bodybuilding protein shake. It provides a tone of nutrition and amino acids. Initially I just added a scoop to water and slammed it and followed that up by even more water. Good Luck!
Old 11-30-2011, 11:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Luck has nothing to do with it guys. Dee is right. See a doc if you are getting strange hallucinations. etc. I should clarify that I have been sober for more than a year, and I did my detox in a hospital, under the care of docs and nurses, and felt nothing strange. My Post Acute Withdrawal Symptoms were also worked through with my GP Doc.

See a Doc, just because one has been through that alone doesn't mean another won't have severe medical issues, perhaps even die, without help. Detox is serious biz folks.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

This last detox I had hallucinations. It got bad enough that I had seizures in my sleep too. Dangerous territory guys. I was home. My boyfriend was there but he wouldn't pi$$ on my back if it was on fire. See your dr if it gets worse
Old 11-30-2011, 01:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I detoxed home alone many times without too much bother.

The last time - nothing changed in my drinking or my routine - and results were very different. I ended up with several mini strokes and I was lucky it wasn't worse.

Thats not going to happen to everyone, naturally - but the point is...noone can ever predict what might happen - people have died from this stuff - or, like me, you may just end up with stuff you have to carry around with you for the rest of your life.

I really hope you've seen a Dr by now mwstylee.

D
Old 11-30-2011, 01:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I detoxed home alone many times without too much bother.

The last time - nothing changed in my drinking or my routine - and results were very different. I ended up with several mini strokes and I was lucky it wasn't worse.

Thats not going to happen to everyone, naturally - but the point is...noone can ever predict what might happen - people have died from this stuff - or, like me, you may just end up with stuff you have to carry around with you for the rest of your life.

I really hope you've seen a Dr by now mwstylee.

D
It's obvious you have suffered greatly due to alcohol. We are lucky to have you here Dee. I bet you have helped save many lives.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Helped save mine.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm not sure how, but I'm feeling relatively healthy today. I don't notice any withdrawal symptoms and am in an awesome mood. Whether or not there are nightmares (I'm going to be a smart man and say yes...) I'll find out in a few hours when I go to bed. I'm most thankful that the jitters are gone.

Dee, that is great advice. The same goes for anyone else saying "go see a doctor". IF I had to go through this again, I would probably see a doctor because all that time shaking and feeling sick was not smart to go through alone.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mwstylee View Post
I'm not sure how, but I'm feeling relatively healthy today. I don't notice any withdrawal symptoms and am in an awesome mood. Whether or not there are nightmares (I'm going to be a smart man and say yes...) I'll find out in a few hours when I go to bed. I'm most thankful that the jitters are gone.

Dee, that is great advice. The same goes for anyone else saying "go see a doctor". IF I had to go through this again, I would probably see a doctor because all that time shaking and feeling sick was not smart to go through alone.
Lets hope there won't be another time, my friend. Please keep me up-to-date on your progress and let me know if I can do anything to help.