Notices

Hello

Old 11-28-2011, 10:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello

Hello all, my name is Redruum. Im 26 years old, I have been drinking since I was around 6 I guess. Grew up in the country, with a family where drinking was a normal part of life. Its too the point now where I drink a 6 pack a day. I wake up every morning telling myself Im not going to do it again, but when 5 o clock rolls around, im knee deep in a new pack. I dont drink to the point where I get drunk, or black out, or do stupid things. In fact I act extremely normal, wife tells me im a functioning alcoholic. I dont want to quit because of what alcohol makes me do, or whatever. I want to quit because if I stay on this track for a good 9 more years I could be having this conversation with a Doctor instead of the forums. Anyways, I have tried to go Sober before, did well, but of course im drinking a beer as I type this. So disappointing. Well I look forward to getting to know everyone.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi redruum

I recommend you have this discussion with a doctor anyway.

You've been drinking regularly a long time, and detox can sometimes be problematic for some of us - even if we've done it a hundred times before. It's just best to be safe, y'know?

You'll find a lot of support, encouragement and ideas here. Good to have you with us

D
Old 11-28-2011, 11:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, I haven't been here long myself, but this is a FANTASTIC group, always willing to offer support.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
MINEr

Welcome. You may be at a mellower pace now, but it will escalate, that is alcohols nature. Mine went from six packs to twelve packs to twelve packs with shot backs. Lots of good stuff here, poke around a while.

camedown
Old 11-28-2011, 11:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Welcome! Look forward to more posts from you. Curious why you chose that screen name? You'll find a lot of great people here.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ghostly View Post
Welcome! Look forward to more posts from you. Curious why you chose that screen name? You'll find a lot of great people here.
Eh, its my nickname in my unit. Im in the Army :P
Old 11-29-2011, 04:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Redruum,

And thank you for your military service! There are some fabulous folks here ready to help you, don't be afraid to ask.

The best to you in your journey...
Old 11-29-2011, 04:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to a supportive site!
Old 11-29-2011, 06:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Redruum. I have two boys in the Army one still in Iraq and one stationed in Hawaii. ((I thank you for your service)). I know it's not easy some days, especially with a problem. I'm glad you've realized it's time to quit...you will feel so much better about yourself. Glad you're here.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Redruum - glad you've joined us! Getting support is what made the difference for me in getting sober. Things will get better, so hang in there@
Old 11-29-2011, 08:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Welcome Redruum!

I think many of us (myself included) found this forum while we were drinking. I had to look through my internet history the next day to try and find out if I dreamt finding this place or if it was real.

Anyways, welcome to SR! I think you'll find a lot of support here. I completely understand quitting now to avoid problems later. I'm also 26 and, while I drank a lot more than you do now, I hadn't had any of the normal negative consequences: DUI, job loss, jail, health problems -- none of that had happened to me ye, but I decided to quit to avoid those problems in the future and also to find some relief from the insanity of addiction that had taken over my life.

Good luck to you on your journey!
Old 11-30-2011, 01:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome, stick around SR, it can really help!