Notices

Just a quick question?

Old 11-28-2011, 07:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just a quick question?

I've been here since about June now but I haven't really done anything to help myself.. I'm really considering dragging someone to AA with me because I'm too scared/ashamed to go alone but other than that I have been pretty useless at this sobriety lark.

I'm still on 2 bottles of wine a night, a bottle of vodka, anything I can get my hands on until I black out. Doesn't matter if I'm alone, doesn't matter what excuse I use.. just drink. I can occasionally have a night without it when I feel really battered and bruised inside but I can't go any further than that. I've tried giving myself the challenge of lasting more than a day, because that's about as far as I can go at the moment.

So I was just curious.. if I went to my doctor, what would they do? What usually happens if you go to a doctor when you want to quit?

I've been avoiding my personal doctor like the plague because the last time I finally gathered the courage to pour my upset heart out to her, she just gave me antidepressants. I was really confused because obviously antidepressants and heavy drinking shouldn't mix, and I asked her this but she simply said "just cut down on the drink".. it obviously wasn't as simple as that. I lasted about a month as a zombie and I never went to talk to her about it again.

If I do see a doctor I'm going to have to switch to someone else because that advice was ridiculous. But yeah, basically I'm just waffling on and I am curious about what happens when you tell them you want to stop.

Do they just talk to you? Throw you in a rehab if you're really bad? Pills?

Just wondering, cheers .
Old 11-28-2011, 07:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Depends on the the doc, I'd imagine.

I got similar advice the only time I talked to my doctor about drinking: "Well you probably want to cut down."

They can't throw you in rehab or force you to do anything against your will. Also keep in mind that doctors hear this stuff all day, so they are usually some of the most down to earth people to talk to this stuff about.

Keep in mind though, a doctor can give you the best info on the physical aspects of your addiction: what it's doing to your body, what withdrawal symptoms might be, what you can do to lessen them, etc. In order to get information on the mental, emotional (and/or/or not) spiritual side of things you will probably want to see a chemical dependency counselor or go to AA, your priest, another recovery group, a pschiatrist, etc.

Check out the AA angle if you are indeed interested in it. No need to be afraid, they are generally very welcome to newcomers.

Best wishes.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

double post.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Perhaps seeing an addictions counselor rather than your doc is the way to go? Doctors can be rather perfunctory. A counselor (or AA meetings) might help you gain the understanding/strength you need to get beyond one day of not drinking.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Don't worry bout being placed somewhere you don't want to be. That won't happen. Open up to the Dr. Hopefully if they can't help, they'll direct you so someone that can. I'm sure some will try to help with prescriptions, just don't accept that option.

Good idea to grab someone to go to AA. Good luck.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't know about the doctor thing. I went to the doctor well after my drinking stopped when I had a cold or something. But had blood work done.
I think you posted that here about the doctor giving you the antidepressants? I remember.
Deserto suggested an addiction counselor -would you be willing to do an out-patient rehab? I went last Feb/March and it was the best decision I ever made. I had so much fun, got so much info, felt so good about myself and my recovery and felt like I was really taking action to change.
If you could do anything...that would be better than nothing. Peace.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

"out-patient rehab"?? I'm not sure what that is haha, I'll have to do some reading .

Yeah I just thought I'd probably need to talk to someone at least if I'm going to take it seriously.

Are prescribed things bad for you? I was talking in the chat room about some tablets that help with withdrawal symptoms and things.. is that a bad idea? I get pretty shaky and irritable if I go too long without it. I get angry as well if it's on the mind too much and I don't have access to it.

AA meetings are looking more likely now that I'm reading properly.. I just need someone to drag me there and stop me from turning away and running.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

you can always ring your local AA office Kelly. I've heard of people who've arranged lifts there, or have been met there at a meeting

D
Old 11-28-2011, 08:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi, Kelly.

Some good suggestions above. Better I'd say than your doctor's old advice about cutting down. That is ridiculous, at least it was for me. There was no middle ground for me with alcohol. And recovery turned out to be the same way, meaning that I had to take the leap and resolve to quit, once and for all.

I hope you decide to take that leap. I remember what it's like being caught in the endless loop of nightly drinking. Life is so much simpler and more enjoyable now. You really can do it.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

For me, my doctor did some liver tests. Checked my vitals etc... Drinking can elevate blood pressure pretty high. When I was at my worst my bp was around 140 / 110. Liver emzymes were high as well. I went back in after a few months sober and blood pressure was normal and so were liver emzymes...

My Dr. also gave me Campral. It's suppose to lessen the craving for booze. There is also antibuse which makes you very sick if you drink. She also suggested AA.

My Dr. was awesome. She has really helped me.

I wish you the best. Don't be scared of going to the dr, they are there to help!