Notices

A tight spot

Old 11-28-2011, 01:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A tight spot

So it was only a matter of time, but here I am eating my words about being around alcohol related activities.

I just passed my 9 month mark a couple of weeks ago and my methods were very deliberate. Going to meetings, talking to my sponsor, service work, and staying away from activities that are alcohol centered.

Well try this one out: I was checking my work calendar and saw that my top client has worked it out with my management to throw a wine tasting event at one of our local wineries next week. This is a mandatory event. I could choose not to show up but the account and my job would likely be on thin ice. They would all likely see this as lack of comittment on my part.

I'm honestly not worried about me drinking. However, does anyone know how to conduct ones'self at such an event in a way that is not awkward or makes others uncomfortable?

Since I've always had the real wine in the past I don't know if they offer anything NA. Maybe I can just get a class of seltzer water. I don't drink soda and I really don't want anything that is even NA wine - that's playing with fire in my book. Our state law states that anywhere alcohol is sold in single servings non-alcoholic beverages must be served in a distinctly different container made of a different material - aka. plastic or paper.

If anyone has any experience I'd love to hear from you!
Old 11-28-2011, 03:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by StPeteGrad View Post
However, does anyone know how to conduct ones'self at such an event in a way that is not awkward or makes others uncomfortable?
Apparently it is important that you go, but not important that you drink, correct? Then a polite "No, thanks," when they ask and stick close to the grapes and cheese platter.

As I seen posted countless times here on SR, people care a lot less about our drinking than we think.

Good luck.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've been a musician, I've been an academic, I've worked on a production line, and been in an office environment...I've never found it mandatory to drink....

but I often felt it was, because of the importance I placed on alcohol (and my inbuilt insecurities, not wanting to feel different etc)

A simple no thank is really all that's required - there's a million valid reasons for anyone not to
drink, even outside of alcoholism

D
Old 11-28-2011, 03:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the responses. I'll just play it be ear. I remember the last wine tasting event I was at we were all just standing around drinking wine and eating hors'devours.

I'm sure you are correct about the importance I'm placing on the drinking. I've kept myself 100% clear of these situations since my first day of sobriety last February.

It will actually be quite nice to be at one of these events and remain completely lucid through the whole thing. Maybe I can actually conduct some business for once!
Old 11-28-2011, 05:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

SPG - this was a sticky one for me too (8 months sober) but lately I've made it through a couple of social/work things just his past week, no problem.

A simple "no thanks" is just that...simple. The anxiety leading up was worse than the reality of it. I kinda worried myself for nothing And when you get through the "event", you are going to feel so damn good...it's another part of your sober journey that you've got through and it really adds to your resolve to keep going
Old 11-28-2011, 05:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah, the 'No, thanks' response should do it, and I hope it goes well for you.