Notices

New Alcoholic on the scene!

Old 11-28-2011, 10:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Alcoholic on the scene!

Hi There,Nice to meet you all

Its Monday evening and after the weekend I couldn't even make one day without it....time has come to stop.

Quick lowdown on my situation...Male, 43 years old, successfully self employed, married 10 yrs with two beautiful daughters aged 4 and 2.

I've been drinking heavily since I was 15, I cant really remember I time when I didn't drink,

I've always lifted weights and been into running but I stared drinking more when I quit smoking, I quit cigarettes and cannabis 5 yrs ago

I work from home so I do what I want, and I do....choice of drink at the moment is cider and I drink between 8 to 15 cans a night, at least 5 nights a week.

I manage the drinking, work and keeping my family together quite successfully.I don't get hangovers but Im sure the damage has been done and I've been fooling myself for to long.

My wife is a fantastic mother and wife it breaks my heart that she accepts my problem as a way of life ( she met me this way) I am abusive verbally with certain drinks ( vodka, larger and Whisky) so I stick to the cider.

My pitiful excuse is that I make money, I feel and look good, but I know bad things must be going on inside me.

I googled "Alcoholics forum" and found this place, I've been composing this introduction for about 3 hrs and had about 3 cans in that time.

I don't think I can cut down I need to quit...any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome buddy....I was drinking 12/15 large cans of lager a night,7 days a week....I quit both cigarettes and the beer both at the same time 9 days ago cold turkey...Believe me,if i can do it then so can you.....Welcome to sr mate,you will get lots of support here....
Old 11-28-2011, 10:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Burt! I am glad you found us. I love this place!
Old 11-28-2011, 10:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

make an appointment with your doctor. stopping abruptly can shock your body.

you can stay stopped!
Old 11-28-2011, 11:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Burt.

I'm new to this process myself. Looked at this web site a while before I joined. I have learnt a great deal about myself and my problem over the past several weeks.

First like sugarbear said 'make an appointment with your doctor'. That is your first step. That is what I did. Certainly wasn't easy but it helped to be honest with him, and afterwards I felt some relief just admitting I drank to much.

It sounds like from reading your post you have a great deal of positive in your life. 2 beautiful girls! If ever there was motivation, wow, that is it. Just by writing this note and describing your girls and your wife, you sound like it is extremely important to be a good father and husband. Eliminating alcohol is a great way to start. You don't want to let it get in the way of being who you want to be, and what you can be!

This is a great place. Lots of support from individuals, who like yourself (and myself) who are attempting to be a better person.There are many many posts from people who have eliminated alcohol from their life and are in a much better place as a result.

Reading these posts will help you a great deal.

Welcome!

Jim
Old 11-28-2011, 11:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Burt View Post
Hi There,Nice to meet you all

Its Monday evening and after the weekend I couldn't even make one day without it....time has come to stop.

Quick lowdown on my situation...Male, 43 years old, successfully self employed, married 10 yrs with two beautiful daughters aged 4 and 2.

I've been drinking heavily since I was 15, I cant really remember I time when I didn't drink,

I've always lifted weights and been into running but I stared drinking more when I quit smoking, I quit cigarettes and cannabis 5 yrs ago

I work from home so I do what I want, and I do....choice of drink at the moment is cider and I drink between 8 to 15 cans a night, at least 5 nights a week.

I manage the drinking, work and keeping my family together quite successfully.I don't get hangovers but Im sure the damage has been done and I've been fooling myself for to long.

My wife is a fantastic mother and wife it breaks my heart that she accepts my problem as a way of life ( she met me this way) I am abusive verbally with certain drinks ( vodka, larger and Whisky) so I stick to the cider.

My pitiful excuse is that I make money, I feel and look good, but I know bad things must be going on inside me.

I googled "Alcoholics forum" and found this place, I've been composing this introduction for about 3 hrs and had about 3 cans in that time.

I don't think I can cut down I need to quit...any help will be greatly appreciated.
are you in the uk bud?
Old 11-28-2011, 11:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

(((Burt))) welcome to SR!! I agree with ((Sugarbear)) - please get checked out by a dr., be honest (a good dr. doesn't judge, wants only what is healthiest for you). Abrupt withdrawal can cause some serious, even fatal, consequences.

On a good note, this site is full of people who have been, or still are in, your shoes. Though alcohol wasn't my "thing" (crack was), I've gotten some awesome inspiration from people, no matter what their "thing" was.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-28-2011, 11:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Burt,

I'm 44yrs old and have been a HARDCORE drinker all my life. Was never a violent drunk, just the guy that people loved to party with cuz I was so much fun.

I haven't had a drink for 7 days now. Before last Sunday I was drinking AT LEAST a 26er of whiskey EVERY NIGHT and a lot of times I would also drink beer with it as well. I have basically been drunk everyday for the last 5yrs. I honestly NEVER went a day without heavy drinking. I have been married to my high school sweetheart for 26yrs now whom I love with ALL MY HEART, she is my world!! I have a son 21, a daughter 25. They all knew I had a serious problem but I always just shrugged it off. Until 2 weeks ago....

My wife told me that I had become violent with her the night before to the point that she was very very scared...I DIDN'T remember it happening!!! That was my wake up call. My family is soooo proud of me now for taking the steps to become sober. It is truly a great feeling!!!!

I wish you all the best on your journey Burt.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Burt

Welcome - you'll find a lot of support here

As some posters have already said I recommend seeing a Dr - detox can be tricky for some of us - even if we've done it a million times before.

This place really helped me get myself together - and I credit the folks here with helping me become the man I knew I should have been all along.

Hope we can help you get yourself together too

D
Old 11-28-2011, 02:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Burt...life is so much better without the booze. Your daughters will respect you all the more for it -even if they don't quite understand, they will notice the change. Wishing you peace and strength in your new journey.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Double post...sorry! =)
Old 11-28-2011, 04:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome!

Yes it is harder to quit when we haven't hit "rock bottom", but it will only get worse. It sounds like you have a lot of good things going on in your life and getting sober could be the icing on the cake to being the best father and husband you can be. I know your kids will appreciate someone who is there for them and not drinking all the time!
Old 11-28-2011, 04:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Welcome Burt! Thanks for sharing your story. So many of us can relate. All walks of life here so stick around. Just being here is helpful, IME. I lurked and occasionally posted here for years before I quit. I recommend you just quit though (skip the multiple year lurking period )
Old 11-28-2011, 04:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey Burt, somewhat similar story here. 43 yo, two daughters, good job, great wife, etc.. I'm a high functioning alcoholic who was drinking pretty heavy 3-4 nights per week. No DUI's, no missed work, fights, etc..Been drinking pretty heavy since I was 17.
I'm now on Day 50 of my sobriety and its going surprisingly well. My point in telling you this is you have come to the right place. There are many people here with very similar stories to yours. We are all at different stages of our recovery. I have learned a great deal from the people in this forum as to what to expect, what to look out for, what works for them, what doesnt, etc... They are also just willing to listen when you run into speedbumps or setbacks in your recovery. Never judging, just supporting!

It's also helpful to just read through the posts and see whats going on with the others. I found this site to be a critical tool in my arsenal. Good luck and welcome aboard!!!
Old 11-28-2011, 04:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey Burt! Welcome to SR.

I'm a lot like you...turning 43 on Friday - two kids (5 and 8), good marriage, good job.

I quit about 5 and a half months ago and it has been one of the best things I've ever done!

It's not easy...but it is worth it!

Good luck. Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:00 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Day 1

Originally Posted by Paddyb View Post
are you in the uk bud?

I am in the UK.

Thanks for all the words of encouragement guys and girls.

Woke up on the settee around 4am this morning after drinking 2 pints of Stella (in the pub) and nine cans of bow when I got in.

Im feeling pretty low today, moping around the house by myself, but Im also starting to feel positive that this could be the first day of never drinking again.

Drink has been my best friend and my worst enemy at the same time... I will miss it but I want to live a long life and I don't want my daughters to loose their dad so I need to stop being selfish.

Day one....here I come
Old 11-29-2011, 05:29 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome Burt

Acknowledging the problem is a huge step. How exciting for you to want to begin a new way of life today, before you have done any major damage.

I'm 36 years old, happily married, two children and a successful career. I made the decision to quit almost 5 months ago and I haven't looked back. Living sober gets easier and better every day.

I'm vacationing in the tropics as I write this and not drinking has become 2nd nature. Previously I'd be 3 or 4 deep already and the day has barely begun. Instead, I feeling great and looking forward to a great day poolside without alcohol. The thought of that 6 months ago was incomprehensible to me. You can do this.

Have you thought about a plan to stop drinking, AA or some other formal program?
Old 11-29-2011, 06:45 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MarylandRick View Post
Have you thought about a plan to stop drinking, AA or some other formal program?
Im just going to quit and take it one day at a time.

Been going through this forum for most of the day, I think that's going to help.

Also going to buy "The Easy Way to Quit Drinking" by Allen Carr, his book on giving up cigarettes help me quit many years ago.

Bought a new weight bench a few months ago which is still unopened....might put it together this evening.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:58 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

You won't miss it it once your head clears and the fog lifts. Keeping busy will keep you sober. Open that box and lift...excercise will get natural adrenolin flowing.

Wishing you peace and strength today.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:54 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Well day 3 is here.

Im feeling good, occasionally thinking about how good it would be to have a few (many) drinks.....but that's not going to happen.

Not sure if it was a good time to give up a month before Christmas but too late now as I've given up.

"Given up"... as I guess Allen Carr would say "You haven't given anything up"