Notices

Finally ready

Old 11-28-2011, 08:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finally ready

After another vicious hangover I am finally ready to quit drinking. I have plans to attend an AA meeting tonight. This has been a long time coming and I even joined here several months ago but didn't follow through with my plan to give it up for good. I made it a week that time. I am feeling incredibly overwhelmed and paralyzed with fear about what people will think of me. I am sure it cannot be worse than what they have thought of me me when I am a total drunken idiot but still incredibly hard to be vulnerable and honest with myself and others.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I understand how you feel. That's why I didn't tell anyone when I stopped drinking. I was far too vulnerable, and any comment or even a 'look' from someone would have put me over the edge.

What I know is that you need to stop beating up on yourself or you will fall back into the cycle. Learn from what has happened and move forward with your recovery.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

First of all I'm glad you made it back and are trying again.

What people think? I felt that as long as I was trying to better my life, better myself and my relationships and follow my path -what the heck do I care what people think?! If they can't resepct you for you -for trying, for seeking help then they have no placement in your recovery.
Believe me, the people that know you drink will be glad to know your new plan.
Congratulations on trying again. One day at a time...
Old 11-28-2011, 08:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welome Back. You came back and that is an awesome step. Spend some time reading the posts on here and you will know that a lot of people feel exactly like you do. Be kind to yourself right now.

I wish you all the best.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

change is scary. My head was racing with so many thoughts when i first started getting sober....like....what am i going to do now? will i loose my friends? how will i have a good time? LOL best thing to do is to just keep it simple. Get to a meeting, find a sponsor...they are very important and will give you great advice, and take it easy. If your an alcoholic like me the last thing you should do is THINK. Let the fellowship of AA think for you in the beginning...the only thing you should do is NOT pick up that first drink. It gets easier with time and things become more clear. Take it easy....we live day by day and we do not struggle. If you decide the 12-step program is for you (as it works GREAT for me) you will be amazed before you are half way through.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was never concerned with what people thought. Drunk or sober. I guess I'm just that way. Everyone knew I was a drunk (except me) so why would I care?

Don't be too hard on yourself. I joined here in 2007 with every intension of getting sober.
I now have 23 months sober. That's how long it took me.

You've gotten some good advice here, and you'll get more. Just realize even the worst cases can get sober if you are willing to put forth the effort.

You can do it, and best to you.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I once read....."It's none of your business what other's say or think about you"
Your life is yours to take care of (and your higher power)
God be with you.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don't do AA but I have found the community here very supportive. Very helpful when I want a drink. Best thing I've don't so far is been committed enough to get and takecAntabuse everyday. That's stopped me from drinking. Now I need to do the work so that I never go back there. Enough tools and changes to not be impacted by triggers etc

Coming back is big. Hope to see you around
Old 11-28-2011, 09:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

AA is full of people who felt similiarly as you.
home!
Old 11-28-2011, 01:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome trigirl

People think a lot more of me now I'm sober
If anyone did look down on me for being an alcoholic in recovery they would not last long in my life....thankfully I've found nothing but support since I quit.

I hope you will too

D
Old 11-28-2011, 06:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi trigirl -

I had lots of fear about admitting my problem, and about sobriety, too - what if I failed? What if I succeeded? (Neither choice sounded very good, frankly!) It's normal to feel overwhelmed....I could only think about staying sober one day or even one hour at a time at first.

Dont worry about anyone else right now but you. Keep things as simple as possible. It really does get better.....