Notices

2 Days

Old 11-27-2011, 05:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2 Days

That's all it's been for me. My dad quit drinking after 50 years. He finally began facing health problems, the doctors told him if he continues he dies. Simple as that. I figured now is a good time for me to stop. I'm certain I inhereted the trait from my family. Get stressed, get boozed up. That's what I did. I'm a closet drinker. I don't miss work, I don't show up under the influence. After work though I'd drink fast and drink hard. I've tried quiting before, I've variously made it a couple weeks to a couple months.
I know one thing that makes it tough to stop is accountability. I don't have a wife or kids. I'm 41 and live by myself. I'm working too much for a steady girlfriend. I manage alot of big projects. So I'm accountable at work, but as far as who holds me accountable outside work that'd be a big 0. So it's very easy for me to fall into the pattern. I tried AA once, I'm sure it works for plenty of people, but it didn't seem a great fit for me. I think I'll need something different. I'm open to ideas.
All I've got to write for now. I'm sure we all got here for the same reasons. Mine, well I want to change. I don't want to poison myself for the rest of my life. Too many people face challenges..cancer, disease, loss of loved ones that are not brought on by themselves. The decision to drink is just that, a decision. I'd like to decide against it. I know this is a disease, and it's more than just choice, but choosing is part of it.
BigSky
Old 11-27-2011, 06:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR BigSky

You'll find a lot of help and support here

D
Old 11-27-2011, 06:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

well said bigsky. Welcome to SR, this is a great supportive forum...I look forward to seeing you post in the threads. And congrats on 2 days!
Old 11-27-2011, 06:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome BigSky!

AA is not for everyone and there are other programs out there. SMART is one. I think the support here is a great and can be very beneficial to recovery.

I use AA now and SoberRecovery.

Your story is very similar to mine in the part about drinking hard and fast. I would work 13 hour days, drive 40 minutes each way to work but I would manage to pound down as much alcohol as possible when I left work. I, too, still went to work everyday but I became less and less functionable as my alcoholism progressed.

I'm glad you are here and glad you have chosen a new path.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to SR. I hope you become a regular visitor.

Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
The decision to drink is just that, a decision.
Maybe at some point in our lives drinking was a decision. But for me and, if I'd hazard a guess, for most of us here on SR, that decision was taken away from us by the disease of alcoholism. Our addiction is driving this horse cart and we are just along for the bumpy ride.

The decision to quit is just that--a decision you can make.

You mentioned you think you need accountability to get sober, yet reject AA, which would provide you with two things: the accountability you seek, and the fellowship of people who know exactly what you are going through.

I'm not saying AA is the way to go, just pointing out a possible contradiction in your thinking. Could you be avoiding AA so you won't be accountable?

The Big Book of AA is available online. Read it. Even if it doesn't persuade you to go to AA, I think you will find the information valuable.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Carl,
You are right it's a decision, and it is a disease. I do want to find a accountability system. So no I'm not shorting AA for that. I just didn't feel it was a great fit. I will give it another look, and at the same time try to find something that does fit. 5 days in and dry. Not missing the booze. Like I said, sometimes I've gone for long periods. This is actually the easiest part for me. I can still remember the pain of what drinking does. It's when I get way down range of it that I allow myself to forget what the alcohol does to me.
BigSky
Old 11-30-2011, 05:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. The support here is wonderful. It's helped me stay sober for two years now.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome BigSky! I am glad you found us. Congratulations on your 5 days - stay strong!