I don't know what to do to help my friend

Old 11-27-2011, 03:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I don't know what to do to help my friend

One of my best friends is heavily addicted to narcotic painkillers, primarily vicodin and whatever that is similar she can get her hands on. Finally a few weeks ago she decided she was going to clean up and it had seemed to be going well except for a couple minor relapses, I noticed a huge difference. However the other night, she relapsed and attempted suicide by overdose. Had to stay in the hospital for a couple days, and now she's out. She is fighting several problems:

1.) Insomnia- She won't sleep for days unless she has access to seroquel, which she doesn't right now.

2.) Bolemia- She seems pretty good about this but usually pukes about once a week.

3.) Anxiety- Since she has been trying to keep off the pills, her anxiety has become extremely hard for her to control. She will have outright anxiety attacks

4.) She does not have health insurance other than basic emergency care that the state will provide.

All that combined and put in a stressful situation and bam.

She is staying with her mom but I'm unsure of how much she actually tells her and her family. The family seems well off enough that they could afford inpatient or outpatient treatment on their own, but have not done so. I'm not sure if they've offered and she has refused, or if they just don't truly understand the depth of her problems. My friend pretty much tells me everything, just got off the phone with her and she is an emotional wreck. I can barely say anything without her getting upset, and can't really get her to calm down and simply talk to me. I've offered to go over and just sit and visit with her, keep her company, and what not but she refuses saying "she doesn't want me seeing her like this."

I've thought about just going over there anyways but I'm not sure if that'd be such a good idea or not.

I've thought about talking to her family, but what originally got her to realize she needed a change was when I contacted her mother about her addiction which caused a huge fight between us where I ended up promising that I wouldn't go behind her back to her family again. I'm considering just talking to her mother about this anyways but I know my friend will find out and I'm not sure how she'll handle her best friend breaking this type of promise right now, I don't want to push her over the edge or push her away from help.

I guess I would just like some advice on how to handle this, I'm really worried about her and simply want to help but I don't want to do something that might be more harmful than helpful.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Welcome friend. Sadly, there is not much you can do for your friend until she is ready to do something for herself. Most of us here tried for years, and sadly we can't love them into sobriety, if we could not one of us would be here.

Take a read around, know you are among friends here. I hope you find some peace knowing we understand.

Hugs
Old 11-27-2011, 04:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Hi,

I agree w/Ann, not much that you or anyone can do, it is all up to the addict.

Read all the stickies at the top of the forum and others posts, it will help.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Old 11-27-2011, 07:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Maybe you could help her find an NA meeting to attend? Or give her a number to call for help in locating a treatment center? You cannot help her, but maybe you can help her locate the people/resources that can.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Vicodin withdrawal syptoms are like a bad case of the flu for 5-7 days.

Diarrhea
Inability to sleep
Restless legs

I found alot of info on vicodinwithdrawal.org