Notices

Admitted to problem

Old 11-26-2011, 08:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Admitted to problem

This morning I told my husband I have a problem with alcohol. Been sober for 30hrs. Feel awful. No what?
Old 11-26-2011, 08:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

welcome!

if you drank daily & stop abruptly, you can shock your body, call doctor for a checkup. go to ER if you feel bad.
put a glass of water in fridge, get a drink/sip of water periodically cause your arm will bend at the elbow...
find something to distract your mind-hobby, movie, listen to aa speakers online, come up with a list of things to do.

come here Before you make any decision to drink....

you aren't alone! we understand!
Old 11-26-2011, 08:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Hello and welcome,

You will find great people and support here at SR.

As most willl tell you alcohol is dangerous to detox from so be careful, talk to a doctor if you can , and if you feel bad dont hesitate to go to the ER. humbling yes, i dont it , and blessed i did for i might not be here.

You made the first hard thing to do , Admit you have a problem good work , next step get through the detox and while you sick remember how it feels for you never want to forget.

You never have to feel like this again, keep coming back and reading and posting .

Best wishes.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Why bend my elbow?
Old 11-26-2011, 09:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome, Noknewme!

(I think sugarbear was just referring to our "automatic" drinking response, that we're going to want to pick up a drink, bend our elbow, so it helps to keep something to drink on hand)!

I'm glad you decided to join us. The first days can be rough as you go through withdrawals (that's why a doc is best).

It really does get better, though - I never thought I could give up alcohol and now I'm so glad I did. Keep reading and posting!
Old 11-26-2011, 10:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Can't make appt with doc until Monday. Feel like one exposed, tightly wrapped nerve with a terrible headache and nausea. Trying to push through. Hubby wants to help but I don't know what to tell him to do. Not sure if I want to scream, cry or laugh at the absurdity of it. Maybe the beginning of the holidays isn't the right time to do this. Maybe I should just tell
him I was kidding.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Welcome to SR!
Old 11-26-2011, 10:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Those are pretty normal symptoms, I think. I didn't have the nausea, but lots of people do. The anxiety was what I hated the most.

Maybe when you feel like trying to eat, your hubby can fetch something for you. I like milkshakes (and the sugar helps with the cravings). One thing about alcohol is that it depletes the vitamins in our body, especially B vitamins - so I got a good Vitamin B Complex. (We can't give any medical advice on the forum, but it's pretty common knowledge that fluids, vitamins and good nutrition can help with detox).

I know the holidays are a tough time to quit drinking, but if you're like me, I always found an excuse, no matter what time of year it was. Just take it one day at a time for now and keep reading/posting. It really does get better....
Old 11-26-2011, 11:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome! Admitting it must have been so hard, but did you feel a sense of relief as well at finally saying it out loud? You could say you were kidding and wait until after the holidays but then you are just shortchanging yourself of a better life for at least another month. I was worrying about the holidays too, when people on here mentioned that if I quit now I can actually enjoy the holidays instead of feeling awful.

You must have come here for a reason, and I am guessing it is because you want to get better. Stay awhile and do some reading. I have lurked a lot on here and it is really helping me get focused.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, I'm glad you found us!
Old 11-26-2011, 02:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Maybe the beginning of the holidays isn't the right time to do this. Maybe I should just tell
him I was kidding.
you've made a great choice - don't back away now

I agree with the others who say a Dr is important - if you fell badly before monday please go to the ER.

Support's important too - so I hope you'll stick around - lots of advice, encouragement and ideas here

Welcome!

D
Old 11-26-2011, 03:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

This isn't the first time I have tried to quit. I have been drinking or doing something since I was 13. I did manage to stop while I was pregnant with both my kids. (I would drink non alcoholic beer and hate it).
I am what some would call a "functional" alcoholic. The longest I have stayed sober in the last 10 years is 1 week. Then I would go back to it. I told my self that I would treat my drinking like a medical condition; take 2 (or 3 or 5 or a bottle) of glasses of wine just to take the edge off. Now I get up thinking how can I arrange my day so I can drink. I would get nervous when the kids had activities and I couldn't get a drink till late in the day or evening. I always rationalized it saying that lots of folks drink every day and they seem fine, why not me?
Approaching 48 hours without a drink and feel as though I am going to jump out of my skin.

This is the first time I have ever flat out told anyone I have a problem. Really don't know what to do next.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
orangutan

Hi Noknewme and welcome to our family, glad you found us. Keep reading you will find lots of support here.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Noknewme - We some very similar. Mom of 4, Director for a Biopharmaceutical company, active in the PTA and teach Sunday school (sometimes with a hangover) and had a drinking problem for the past 6-7 years. It started as drinking to "take the edge off the day" then it moved to I'm bored as hell watching Dora for the 9th year so I'll have a glass (or 2) of wine. The past 6 months it was glass of wine with dinner, post-dinner glass of wine, sneak a bit of pineapple rum, bath for the kids, pineapple rum sitting with the girls until they fall asleep, then another glass of wine when everyone is in bed. Sound familiar?

Also, I saw a great quote here my first week:

I never met an alcoholic that wasn't "high functioning" and I never met a normal person who drinks every day.

Anyway you asked what's next - I am by no way an expert but my first week I had headaches that felt like they were going to blow up my head, anxiety, grumpy and sleepy (just like the dwarfs lol). Cravings were bad the second week and it was during this time that I spent most of my time trying to figure out if I could ever drink in moderation - searched the web, researched online journals, read a million posts here and the short story is "No I will never be able to drink again." Third week is getting easier but I feel like I have to constantly remind myself why I quit and that I really don't want to go back.

Now the good parts. I like my kids more - and now seem to have time for them (Apparently I was spending it drinking or thinking about drinking). My sleep patterns are a bit off but I sleep much better - I mean a lot better - My hair looks better and so does my skin (or from the lack of handover I just think they look better).

It's helped posting here - I mean I post, read, post etc. I'm going to do this and will do anything never to drink again. I hope the same for you - you weren't joking and I think now that the cat is out of the bag your husband also sees that you had an issue.

Sorry for the rambling post - like I said I'm new here also and sometimes my thoughts are all over the place - but we're here for you and your time is NOW.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I quit almost two years ago, after trying and failing over and over. My only regret is not doing it sooner. Please get medical help if your w/d gets worse. Alcohol detox can be serious business.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Least, I will keep an eye on myself. In the past when I would quit I would just feel really on edge, have headaches,nausea and not sleep well. Granted I only lasted a week but my hubby wants me to go to the doc next week.
Tigger, I too have led church and other kid activities and events with hangovers (and left events early so I could go home and drink)

I guess what I want to know is do I need to go to AA or something. Not sure I can do this without support. But I can't have this little problem of mine becoming public knowledge. Need to get a handle on this.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:21 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

See if there is a women's AA group near you. It's a good safe start. I could have written your post only I have one child so I only had to watch Elmo's World and pooh a bazillion times. Didn't mind the Pooh cartoons too much! LOL
Old 11-26-2011, 05:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Congrats admitting your problem, especially to your husband. I understand how you feel, being scared to share your issues with a lot of other ppl in AA. Is private counseling an option? I'm going to see a counselor for the first time on Monday, and I'm a little nervous, but I'd much rather do that than face a room full of ppl I don't know. Keep coming here, the folks here are GREAT!!!
Old 11-26-2011, 05:52 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Mother of 4 here, too...I used to tutor at school in the mronings and actually had a glass of wine before going. LOL
There were many times I'd drop off the kids at sports practice and not stay with the other mothers because I wanted to be home drinking. I was also the Sunday School superintendant, ran a business, etc etc....yeah, functional.
I know exactly how you feel. I'm happy to hear you went thru with it. I was getting worried when you said maybe after the holidays. Any day is a good day to quit. It is our alcoholic thinking that tries to prolong the drinking a little longer...after the holidays, after this birthday, after groundhog day, after summer pool parties. There is no time like now -this way all these situations can be dealt with the next time sober.
So glad you made the choice and so glad you shared it with your husband.
Wishing you peace and strength.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:08 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Maybe the beginning of the holidays isn't the right time to do this.

Nonsense. There is no particular day that's any easier. Besides, you've already got 48 hours in and have told your husband. Why go backwards now?

If you are open to AA, by all means go to AA. The face to face support, along with this website are important tools in keeping me sober. And don't worry so much about your drinking becoming public knowledge, everyone at the meetings pretty much wants to be anonymous, they are not going to "out" you.