Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

November 26 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON

Old 11-25-2011, 05:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Present

November 26 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

People in trouble look for help and often ask for it in the shape of advice from the more seasoned members who are all so willing to help them.

“My husband comes home drunk and turns on the TV and keeps us awake; what shall I do?” “He was arrested for fighting; what shall I do?” “I’m sick of sitting at home all the time; he never takes me anywhere; what shall I do?”

The more experienced member realizes that we don’t tell anybody what to do. People only accept and use the advice they’re ready for. Helping the newcomer apply Al-Anon principles to all problems is a vital part of the learning process through which all of us grow. Then we will know how to make the decisions that are best for us, and have the courage to see them through.

TODAY’S REMINDER

When I am asked for advice, I know only what I would do if I were faced with the same problem, and not what would be right for another. Good advice in Al-Anon takes the form of gentle guidance into Al-Anon principles, so people can find the right answers for themselves.

“I cannot solve anyone else’s problem. I can, however, show how problem-solving is done by using the Al-Anon program.”