Notices

Day 19... I think!?

Old 11-25-2011, 08:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 19... I think!?

haha I haven't really been keeping up with the days, but the 6th of next month will be a month sober. It's either 18 or 19.

I still keep having these sudden "attacks" of urges that are really hard to ignore. I noticed that I have been hungry all the time since I've stopped drinking and that's kind of annoying... but it's better than drinking! This happens almost everyday on my drive home from work, driving through town past the 5 liquor stores I go by. I have actually been stopping and getting fast food on my way home, idk... its weird but that helps.

I'm trying to think of how many ways my life has improved in this short amount of time with my family, girlfriend, work, and everything else, in order to focus on the positive things about sobriety more.

If I get the urge to drink I've either thought about how things have improved, or tried to focus on how terrible I felt when I thought I was going to lose my job, my gf, and was probably close to death in order to help fight off the desire to drink. I just pray that I can keep this up, or the urge to drink starts to fade a bit.

Thank you SR.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Programmer27 View Post
haha I haven't really been keeping up with the days, but the 6th of next month will be a month sober. It's either 18 or 19.

I still keep having these sudden "attacks" of urges that are really hard to ignore. I noticed that I have been hungry all the time since I've stopped drinking and that's kind of annoying... but it's better than drinking! This happens almost everyday on my drive home from work, driving through town past the 5 liquor stores I go by. I have actually been stopping and getting fast food on my way home, idk... its weird but that helps.

I'm trying to think of how many ways my life has improved in this short amount of time with my family, girlfriend, work, and everything else, in order to focus on the positive things about sobriety more.

If I get the urge to drink I've either thought about how things have improved, or tried to focus on how terrible I felt when I thought I was going to lose my job, my gf, and was probably close to death in order to help fight off the desire to drink. I just pray that I can keep this up, or the urge to drink starts to fade a bit.

Thank you SR.
Thats very good news to hear. Even though your cravings are at its peak they'll subside eventually. Just like you whenever I had the urge to drink I thought about the outcomes but my sickness was too great that I dismissed it and ended up on 4 day benders which I never use to do in my early drinking career. It's good your coming up to a month! Keep at it, you can do this! It does get better for sure, Im at 3 months sober now and its been amazing. I even met a girl I never dreamed of meeting because I was working nights then because of my drinking I was brought back on days and met this girl and willing to stay sober to be me and not a drunk pretending he's the top of the world. Death wasn't too far for myself either since Im a diabetic and I always denied it. This is how sick I was.... I figured since diabetics can't drink since they have to take insulin and night time insulin I figured if I didn't take my insulin I'd be okay and not dear of getting acute low blood sugar levels. Well in that case.... because i didn't take it my mind in the drunken stupor old me not to eat or I'd have to take insulin so I never ate. I drank 4 days straight with no food and trust me it wasn't pretty. I never use to stagger when I walk but now I do. I knew I had to stop and I had to do it soon. Im not prepared to live on the streets with no job or family to turn to or even die young. Thats what kept me in check and my higher power is here to aid me. You take care my friend
Old 11-25-2011, 08:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Good job

Congratulations Programmer27. 74 days no crack for me.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by neferkamichael View Post
Congratulations Programmer27. 74 days no crack for me.
Awesome, good to hear! Stick with it.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great news programmer - I've been having a fair number of snacks at night and I think I'm going to start at the gym. I hear working out helps.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah, I'm sure it does. There isn't a gym in the town where I live, but I'm moving Dec 10th, so I'll definitely try to find a gym then.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats! 12-6 will be 1 month for me too. I am deffinitely eating more since I quit drinking my dinner. Gonna hit the gym today and maybe ride my bike since I have the day off and it's nice out. When I start to think I can handle a couple of beers in the evening, I think about the problems I have now because of my drinking and the close calls I've had in the past since my last attempt to "moderate". There's no sence in trying to do what has already failed.