Notices

inpatient rehab, wow?

Old 11-25-2011, 07:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
dun

inpatient rehab, wow?

I have just got off the phone with the rehab hospital. I was trying to get into the out patient program and the lady thought that the inpatient would be better for me. Damn that hurt, I guess im worse than I thought. Denial is what I do best I guess because my first thought was that she was trying to get me signed up because I have good insurance. I think if I agree to the inpatient , in my mind, takes this thing to a whole different level. Maybe thats what it takes. Am I overreacting? Deep down I know that I should take whatever help I can get and be greatfull for it. But I just dont think I am at that point. Or maybe I'm just being a chicken about it.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Too many variables there to really help you make that call.

Many people go to rehab for just as many different reasons. Many get recovered with no formal rehab... This decision is very frequently, maybe most often, not bottom dependent... It doesn't matter how far down you've gone... you can recover without it or with it....

You could go to an AA meeting and find someone to show you their solution. Or, you could go stay at the rehab, or you could get detoxed... Or a little of all three...

If you can afford it, and you have had a hard time stringing a few days together... why not rehab?
Old 11-25-2011, 08:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well, if it's a hospital, they probably really do think you are a good candidate. But if it's a revenue thing, they probably think everyone is a good candidate.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I agree with asking what you have tried thus far.

I did everything available and later dropped what I outgrew. I didn't want to go through a million relapses as i already had done that daily for two years at the end when it was worst. Like using a shotgun instead of a .22, even if the .22 aimed perfectly could do the job.

If you don't know, go, what have you got to lose except your fear of quitting? I have not seen people who died of overwork, embarrassment, reality, or social stress from rehab. Lots of folks die from drinking though. Out Patient does give you the option to forget to do your homework. Or relapse. Kind of hard to do that locked up in rehab. I did in hospital detox and voluntary rehab that I did not like and quit but that only because it was a VA rehab and most of them were homeless. I too had insurance. But their in hospital detox was excellent and better than anything offered here.

I don't get this rating and labeling system everybody seems to do. Maybe I am odd but once I realized I could not quit, and needed to drink in the mornings and then all day to be the same as sober, I didn't much care what labels or stage I was in. Hooked on alcohol, drinking all day, body going South along with my health slowly but surely and noticeably, well what label/stage do you need?

Many folks have goals for quitting, as in they require it to at a certain stage before they are "bad enough" to require getting off their axe and doing some cutting.

Here are some stages you can shoot for and quit when you reach them.

1. Loss of self respect from denial. ( I can quit anytime, but I knew better - I did it every day right?)

2. Loss of your job or standing in a profession. (Bunch of party poops anyway)

3. Loss of spouse and/or loss of family/children's respect. This usually comes with loss of house and money/possessions. (I don't need no steenkin nurse! But could you go to the store for me?)

4. Morning afters so bad you need a drink to function at all. ( I must have been the life of the party, because I am death incarnate today!)

5. Liver failure or Cirrhosis. ( I actually never tanned well but I like this shade of yellow.)

6. Health failures such that you require hospitalization like #5, and the docs tell you if you drink once more you die, but if you stop now you have a slim chance of recovery.

7. Death. (Can't relapse, ever.)

I am not being funny the denials are only funny until we experience them. Then we go onto denial.

So if you want to quit drinking or using a substance then how can any treatment be too much? If you are considering it hasn't the alcohol or substance already become too much to handle alone?

If you want to be above that level of help then just think of it as overkill in a good way. Too little and you relapse. Too much and you are still OK right?

Relax, lots of folks don't even have any options. They lost everything before deciding they had enough.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Couldnt say anything more to that Itchy

That is the nuts and bolts of it all. Thank you for that today .
Old 11-25-2011, 10:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi dun - If you're facing losing your job and/or have the insurance coverage, it seems like a perfect opportunity to do inpatient. (It might even impress your boss that you're addressing the problem)

I went to rehab twice (30 day program both times) and I'm really glad I did. The first time I went, I was drinking 4-5 beers most nights, which isn't a huge amount, but I was scared because I couldn't stop. I felt like a new person when I got out. (One of the best parts of treatment was that I got to address lots of issues, including an underlying depression I'd had since college).

Frankly, I think everyone (alcoholic or not) could benefit from a month away from the rat race just to be with and work on themselves. It's just a great way to reboot and doesn't mean you're in any way a bad case......
Old 11-25-2011, 02:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's a little cynical to ascribe everyone's motives to revenue.

Noone can make the decision for you but I think maybe it's best to take this at face value and explore the idea over the weekend the ways in which rehab might actually be a good thing for you?

D
Old 11-25-2011, 03:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Honestly I think in patient is so much easier than out patient. I can't imagine dealing with recovery stuff that intensly while trying to keep normal life going is a ton of work. I think I wouldn't have been able to do it.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

GO!

Dun, if you have to opportunity to go to inpatient, run, don't walk. It was the best thing I ever did.

I echo Artsoul in that when I was there I thought everyone could benefit from the experience I had - I was truly fortunate to go.

It gave me a fighting chance and the tools to live a sober life ~ I will never forget it.

This is about YOU Dun - I could care less about revenues etc. This is about getting your life back....go and get it my friend