Notices

Any engineers in here?

Old 11-25-2011, 12:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Any engineers in here?

I'm in chemical engineering. Are there any other alcoholic/addict engineers in here?
Old 11-25-2011, 02:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I attended the masters degree award ceremony of a friend (10yrs sober) last summer. He's got his engineer stamp now and he was asked to improve the targeting systems on weapon-carrying drones for the military, among some other things.

But he doesn't participate here, more the f2f meetings, steps and sponsorship kind of guy. I met his fiancee at the party after the ceremony at his mom's (27 years sober) house, was surprised to hear this extremely white girl speak great Spanish, found she lived for years in S/America.

Interestingly his brother is also sober over 10 years now too and at the party we discussed his working for the probation dept, and his later plans for heading up a state or federal prison.

Saw their Mom back when she was pretty new, all of them total losers when drinking that have terrific lives sober. I came home one afternoon early about 20 years ago and found the now probation officer floating around my pool, extensively tatooed and high and playing hookey from school with my son. I tossed him out and felt like my pool had been polluted.

Really enjoy hanging out with all of them now that they aren't drunken nuts. The mom is a successful decorator and artist, and I even hired her to redo my home some years ago, something I wouldn't have considered for a second when she was drinking.

Hope you can discover a way to improve your life that you approve of and that works well for you. Turn anything interesting up yet?
Old 11-25-2011, 04:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
c49
Its time for bed

I wear a lot of engineering hats at my business that is a highly automated baking and packaging company.

When I was a lot younger I drank to cope with the extreme stress and pressure thay comes with the job. It worked for a little while but then it stopped working and then drinking only took away from the energy, creativity and passion I have for engineering.

I got sober some years ago and happy to get it all back and then some!!
Old 11-25-2011, 06:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, I am a manufacturing engineer. Funny, a lot of my friends from engineering school had alcohol/drug abuse issues (including me of course). You would think that engineering is too demanding to give you time to use your drug(s) of choice, but nope, that's just not how it works unfortunately.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

ChemE here...15 yrs out of school.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Electrical Engineer in the Automated Equipment field here.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by langkah View Post
and found the now probation officer floating around my pool,
That baffles me how he could be floating around in a pool and still be alive (used to work as a lifeguard).
Old 11-25-2011, 08:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Im a daughter of a retired Dow Chemical
Mechanical Engineer. An X-Wife of an
Electrical Engineer. It runs in my blood,
as I was the Domestic Engineer of my
little family yrs ago.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

BS/MS Chemical Enginner here.

Looking forward to using all that higher math to keep track of my days sober. Day 11 today, so I had to take one shoe off to keep the count.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Electrical engineer, p. eng., currently working in aerospace. Thanks for asking.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I should have added that the cheapest vodka I could find was finally my DoC, and I am sober for over 3 months. WhoDey, you can use this link to calculate the number of days since a given date. This is your go-forward risk mitigation plan when you run out of fingers and toes.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

or you could just use our SR sober time calculator LOL.
SoberRecovery : Sober Time Sobriety Calculator

D
Old 11-25-2011, 09:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Re-Member

IE here (Industrial Engineer) Go Salukis! We are the Jacks of all disciplines masters of none. I have several other sheepskins as well as 27 years in the military and living and doing all over the world. Moving from base to base every couple to three years, and going to school nights and weekends makes it tough to stay with one school and one degree. I was halfway through a Masters in International Relations (Troy State) but the school at that base wasn't at my next and I never finished it. See we had professors that traveled to our base education centers and taught us on base but only three or four colleges were contracted at each. So if your college wasn't at your next assignment you got as close to the same degree program as possible and hoped you would be able to transfer all of them with full credit to the same major at least. Also have a BS in Sociology and a BS in Psych, as well as an AD in Instructional Tech. and a cert from Devry in Electronics. All of that and 2 bucks will buy me a cuppa!
Old 11-26-2011, 01:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Sales Engineer - fiber optics/data distribution
Old 11-26-2011, 02:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Seared, he floated without difficulty because he was grossly bloated from the booze. At 10yrs sober now he's of average build and probably needs to paddle some.

Interesting that of all that, this item stood out in your mind.

Drinking or sober I stayed on the thin side, but there were other physical effects from drinking. Red blood stys would appear in my eyes, skin flaked off, awful cronic stomach pain, scars from being unsteady around sharp objects, perpetual booze stink and red eyes, puking strangely colored pieces of things I don't think I ate...the usual.

I didn't want to do what it took to get better for a long time too. That nearly killed me by age 28. Odd that we can get so accustomed to great suffering as a condition of life.

Having been there, I really feel for you and hope you give up the struggle soon enough to enjoy the remainder of your lifetime.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Chemical Engineer here.